6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello

Can anyone explain what we are to expect at the AOS interview? We have begun gathering supporting evidence as a married couple now. Just don't know what to expect as far as questions. I'm assuming we will be going to the Detroit office. Will both of us be questioned or just the AOS applicant?

Debbie & Dave

4/12/2010 Filed I-129F

4/15/2010 Recvd NOA1

7/20/2010 Recvd NOA2

7/23/2010 NVC received

7/28/2010 NVC left

7/31/2010 Consulate received

8/03/2010 Packet 3 received

8/31/2010 Packet 3 sent

10/13/2010 Packet 4 received

11/15/2010 Interview London--APPROVED

11/30/2010 Visa received

12/16/2010 POE - Chicago

02/18/2011 Married

AOS

03/30/2011 Filed AOS paperwork

04/08/2011 NOA1 received

05/09/2011 Biometrics Appt

05/31/2011 EAD approved

06/06/2011 AP Approved

06/08/2011 EAD card received

06/20/2011 AOS Interview - APPROVED !!!

06/29/2011 Green Card Received

Filed: Timeline

They ask questions a normal married person would know. And you're normally both in the same room. They'll ask you was the other person's eye color is. What kind of milk does he drink. And what side of the bed you sleep on.

The answers are not what they care about. It's your ability to answer confidently. (Well the eyecolor you should get...lol) But it's not so bad. They want to see a bond and knowledge of the other person.

Good luck! And be calm. It's not that bad. And there's nothing to worry about :thumbs:

They will question you both. Our interview seemed a little weird in that they never asked to see any supporting documents or pictures. The gentleman just asked us how we met, how we decided to get married, where we live and also all of the questions that were on the application, like are you intending to overthrow the government (i wonder if anyone has ever said yes to that question, lol). Just be comfortable and calm. They are definitely looking alot at body language and overall comfort with each other. Our's was painless...I wish you the same!

Jackie

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Here is a list of things that was given to me by our attorney.

1. Your interview notice

DO NOT FORGET TO BRING THIS! You will put this in the interview box that your letter specifies.

2. Passports, valid and expired

3. I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) and any other immigration documents or correspondence

4. Driver's license, Social Security Card, and any other identification

5. Birth certificates for the applicant's children, born in or outside the U.S.

6. Proof that you and your spouse have been residing together as husband and wife. These documents must show BOTH of your names:

a. Joint leases

b. Bank accounts

c. Utility bills

d. Insurance policy

e. Credit cards

f. Rental receipts

g. Proof of joint ownership of cars, homes, furniture, etc.

7. Proof of salary, employment, and year-to-date income for both you and your spouse

8. Wedding photos and any other photos of you and your spouse together

9. Any additional evidence you wish considered to establish a bonafide marriage

10. Others

In this section, the INS lists specific documents that they want you to bring to the interview. In our case, they asked us to bring Drew's 2001 Tax Returns and W-2's.

Note: You must bring originals and a photocopy for INS records!

Now here is a list of the documents that the INS Adjudications Officer actually asked us to submit. You don't have to submit the exact same things. We only listed them down to give you an idea on what to prepare. Remember, the documents you present to prove that you have been living together as husband and wife must have both of your names on them!

1. Passport and I-94

2. Applicant's Social Security card

3. A valid form of identification (e.g. driver's license, military ID) for the sponsor

4. Proof of Joint Finances

a. Credit card bills

b. Utility bills

c. Bank statements

5. Proof of Benefits/Insurance

6. Letter of approval for military medical and dental insurance

7. Application for life insurance coverage

Emergency contact information sheet from the military

8. Housing/Automobile Documents

9. Home loan approval letter

10. Apartment lease application

11. The sponsor's most recent Income Tax Returns (1040) and W-2's

Note: We were only asked to submit photocopies of documents that prove that our marriage is bona fide. The Income Tax Returns and W-2's didn't have to be originals either. However, make sure you have the originals with you in case the INS officer asks to see them.

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;

Enjoying one moment at a time;

Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

Taking, as He did, this sinful world

as it is, not as I would have it;

Trusting that He will make all things right

if I surrender to His Will;

That I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with Him

Forever in the next.

Amen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks everyone. :)

Debbie & Dave

4/12/2010 Filed I-129F

4/15/2010 Recvd NOA1

7/20/2010 Recvd NOA2

7/23/2010 NVC received

7/28/2010 NVC left

7/31/2010 Consulate received

8/03/2010 Packet 3 received

8/31/2010 Packet 3 sent

10/13/2010 Packet 4 received

11/15/2010 Interview London--APPROVED

11/30/2010 Visa received

12/16/2010 POE - Chicago

02/18/2011 Married

AOS

03/30/2011 Filed AOS paperwork

04/08/2011 NOA1 received

05/09/2011 Biometrics Appt

05/31/2011 EAD approved

06/06/2011 AP Approved

06/08/2011 EAD card received

06/20/2011 AOS Interview - APPROVED !!!

06/29/2011 Green Card Received

Filed: Other Timeline

They will ask no trick question or questions you would have to prepare for.

The I.O. will look at you and try to determine whether or not your guys married for love or for money. Since Dave isn't a bald, 60-something fat slob and Debbie a 20-some skinny Thai girl that doesn't speak English, but you are instead a couple that looks "right" on first sight, he or she will just ask your names, when and where you met, how your wedding was, and look at the documents provided.

Most likely, you'll be in-and-out in 15 to 20 minutes, utterly confident that your Green Card will be ordered to be printed.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.