AlethiaVilla

Misspelled last name on passport!

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi! i just registered to this site. I've been frequenting VisaJorney with my fiancee from time to time to find necessary information for our K-1 visa proccess. We haven't start it yet. But we have most of the paperwork ready for him to send the petition. He is North American and is going to start the process, i'm Colombian, and have my last name misspelled on my passport. We know that my Birth CERTIFICATE and the passport are needed alongside other documents for my interview once the approvation of the petition is given. My question is, Since my birth certificate shows my last name as it is (two "rr"s) and my passport only has one "r" on it, will it be a problem, and considered as a mayor issue once they notice the difference? can that be reason for a denial?

And another question is, the forms I need to fill for my fiancee to add to his petition show a case where is requested ''other name'' used by the applicant (me)this space generally used if the applicant has been married before (i haven't) could we fill that space with my name as it appears on my passport and fill the rest of the forms with my correct last name as it appears on my birth certificate? Would that procedure be acepted by the American embassy?

I appreciate your help on this! please comment as soon as you can, we want to start the process this week!!

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi =) I think it is really important that your birth certificate and passport are in synch. Also, in the forms, what will you use? the one indicated in the birth certificate or the one in the passport? I think you do not need the passport when submitting the petition, it will be needed during the Medical Exam (at least we do here in the Philippines), and Embassy interview. So my advise would be, it should not hold off on you sending the petition. Send it out and while waiting for the NOA2 (second notice of action, which will be an average of 5mos, that will send your petition going - to NVC and then to your embassy), get a new passport that will list your correct name. :star:

It will be a problem. Get your passport corrected.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Timeline

THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU WHO ANSWERED! hopefully we will be able to start the K1 visa process while at the same time i get my passport corrected. I'm outside of Colombia so i'm not sure if its going to take longer to have my ID changed being abroad, hopefully it wont take that long, but if it does, then i'll have to travel to Colombia to have it changed as sooner as possible.

Again thanks to all! i might come back here for more information in the future ;)

Blessings!

Timeline

Hi =) I think it is really important that your birth certificate and passport are in synch. Also, in the forms, what will you use? the one indicated in the birth certificate or the one in the passport? I think you do not need the passport when submitting the petition, it will be needed during the Medical Exam (at least we do here in the Philippines), and Embassy interview. So my advise would be, it should not hold off on you sending the petition. Send it out and while waiting for the NOA2 (second notice of action, which will be an average of 5mos, that will send your petition going - to NVC and then to your embassy), get a new passport that will list your correct name. :star:

Yes, we saw that too, thankfully we wont need my passport or birth certificate until the embassy interview so hopefully we have time to get it corrected until needed. thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Yes, we saw that too, thankfully we wont need my passport or birth certificate until the embassy interview so hopefully we have time to get it corrected until needed. thanks!

I think you can go to the Colombian embassy in the country where you currently are. They should be able to issue a new passport there.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think you can go to the Colombian embassy in the country where you currently are. They should be able to issue a new passport there.

Yes, Menina is right :) They should be able to help you with getting a new passport :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi! i just registered to this site. I've been frequenting VisaJorney with my fiancee from time to time to find necessary information for our K-1 visa proccess. We haven't start it yet. But we have most of the paperwork ready for him to send the petition. He is North American and is going to start the process, i'm Colombian, and have my last name misspelled on my passport. We know that my Birth CERTIFICATE and the passport are needed alongside other documents for my interview once the approvation of the petition is given. My question is, Since my birth certificate shows my last name as it is (two "rr"s) and my passport only has one "r" on it, will it be a problem, and considered as a mayor issue once they notice the difference? can that be reason for a denial?

And another question is, the forms I need to fill for my fiancee to add to his petition show a case where is requested ''other name'' used by the applicant (me)this space generally used if the applicant has been married before (i haven't) could we fill that space with my name as it appears on my passport and fill the rest of the forms with my correct last name as it appears on my birth certificate? Would that procedure be acepted by the American embassy?

I appreciate your help on this! please comment as soon as you can, we want to start the process this week!!

Thanks!

They do not deny visas for Typos and such things are very coomon in countries that use a different alphabet and names have to be transliterated. It is a frequent occurance for consulates. One of our sons had his name spelled no less than three different ways on various documents. It was no problem at all. However, the visa WILL be issued in the name exactly as in the passport. If it bothers the person getting the visa, then get the passport changed. Our son's name was spelled "Sergey", "Sergei" and "Sergii" and the visa was finally issued in "Sergii" which is in his passport. Not my wife's favorite way to spell it, so we just ignore that and write his name "Sergey". We are such scoundrels! :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.