I AM NOT THAT GUY

Texas Passes Bill to Require Sonograms Before Abortions

272 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So then, why opposed to the law?

Because these laws make government bigger and more intrusive, they needlessly drive up the cost of healthcare and they do not provide a single bit of benefit that the woman doesn't already have. They're wasteful, big government bills. That's all they are.

Ditto in FL. It's not like we have real issues to deal with (you know, budget shortfalls, high unemployment rates, etc.) so the legislature focused on legislating morality. Good thing they did that after they passed an emergency measure to legalize accepting bribes.

I consider abortion a real issue and so do millions of others. To me this is as important if not more important than the other things you listed.

I hope the state will be footing the bill for those sonograms!

I hope not, abortion shouldn't be easy for the person in question. Maybe just maybe people will start realizing that sex needs to be taken seriously.

Do you really think that women don't know what they are getting into when they make the decision to have an abortion? Are you so deluded that you think women don't read up on what they are putting themselves through? Looks like you're the one who needs more information Danno.

What a great idea, lets force these women to scrutinize their choice, while a condescending doctor shows them a video and pulls at their heartstrings. In this day and age, do people really not know what an abortion entails?

Yes lets make sure that the woman scrutinizes her choice. Abortion is a serious matter, the woman is not the only one of concern here.

Let's not forget that requiring a sonogram 24 hours before makes obtaining an abortion immeasurably more difficult for women who live far away from the nearest abortion clinic and cannot afford to take several days off work.

And only information I need to know, Danno, is

BABY: DO NOT WANT.

Once again something like this should not be easy, good grief. Dont have sex and if you do, take responsibility for your actions.

The Republicans of this country get all upset and on barricades whenever there is a threat of "the government invading the privacy of an individual person's life and/or home" - because, after all, what goes on in one's home is none of the state's business.

However, apparently it is perfectly fine for the state to interfere with a woman's uterus and actually with the rest of her living life, since having a child is a commitment for a life time. It is perfectly fine for the state to order the woman to have a sonogram before being able to get an abortion, it os perfectly OK for the state to pressure women out of their personal decisions, it is perfectly OK to suddenly mix religion with politics when it comes to this particular matter, even though there supposedly is such a thing as "separation of church and state" in this country. It is perfectly fine for the state to tell women that abortion is not acceptable, while at the same time the state is not willing to offer any kind of support, financial or social, to expecting mothers in terms of maternity leave, maternity benefits, or job security.

Yep. Sounds progressive to me.

Nonsense, we pro-lifers see this as more than just a woman's right issue. I know you give very little value to the unborn baby but that is not the case for many people.

Who says that the girls having the abortions aren't being given the information they need to make an informed decision? Do you think they are somehow incapable of understanding the implications of unplanned pregnancy and arrived at the abortion clinic to get their hair and nails done?

You really are ridiculous.

I know people who have had abortion and trust me no one can prepare for a abortion. I have seen woman cry years after their abortion. Many woman will tell you that was the biggest mistake of their life.

You don't trust girls to make decisions about whether or not to have an abortion... yet allowing them to carry a baby to term and then make a decision about whether to put the baby up for adoption or to raise it themselves is something you can trust them with?

Adoption is the more humane thing to do. Why is it always about the woman with you, what about the baby.

Edited by _Simpson_

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy to term, ruining her body, incurring huge medical expenses and putting her career on hold just so the baby can be put up for adoption or fostering (in a deficient social care system) is hardly "humane".

Forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy to term, ruining her body, incurring huge medical expenses and putting her career on hold just so the baby can be put up for adoption or fostering (in a deficient social care system) is hardly "humane".

Life is priceless so the things listed above seem like a small price to pay.

It does not ruin her body. If she has a career then she probably had medical benefits. Now as far as the "deficient social system" goes, I think you need to look into adopting a newborn and see how many well qualified parents that are waiting to adopt.

You're making adoption sound unbelievable hard in order to justify your stand on abortion. How sad.

Timeline

The flaw in your thinking is that it's not your price to pay, Simpson. It's not your body.

Is adoption unbelievably hard? Its not a cakewalk.Your solution assumes the social care system is better than it is. It is $hit.

The flaw in your thinking is that it's not your price to pay, Simpson. It's not your body.

Is adoption unbelievably hard? Its not a cakewalk.Your solution assumes the social care system is better than it is. It is $hit.

Its not only the woman that is affected in this decision. It is up to the general public to look after all its people.

Doing the right thing is never easy regardless neither is abortion and personally if I was a woman I think I would have a much easier time living with myself knowing that I put my baby up for adoption.

We are talking about adopting a newborn baby here, there is very little problems when it comes to this except for the long lines. So say what you will about the social care system but it has little to do with this situation.

Filed: Timeline
It is up to the general public to look after all its people.

But we don't do that. In fact, the same legislatures that push these nonsense abortion related bills are fighting a measure that goes a long way towards what you say the general public should do - look after all it's people. Health care for all? Oh noes, that's not the general public's responsibility. The 40 some odd thousand lives lost each year due to lack of access to adequate healthcare is not a concern for the general public. Life is priceless only as long as it doesn't breathe yet. Once it does, then the general public has no responsibilities whatsoever.

Edited by Mr. Big Dog

Timeline

It's the woman who is immediately affected by this decision. If the "general public" isn't going to pay the womans healthcare costs of raise the baby, then it really isn't anyone's business. You should butt out.

Sounds like the only winners in this are the doctors and insurance companies. I don't believe that a marked decrease of abortions will occur because of this, it's an empty, stupid law. Focus on education.

Most of this kind of legislation is little more than grandstanding.

I know people who have had abortion and trust me no one can prepare for a abortion. I have seen woman cry years after their abortion. Many woman will tell you that was the biggest mistake of their life.

No one denied them a sonogram prior to getting their abortion. If they were so on the fence - they should have educated themselves.

(i use sonogram as the tool in the example because somehow you and TX lawmakers seem to believe this makes all the difference)

Edited by LaL

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I want to know how many pro-lifers are going around adopting babies.

And if you're telling me that people who are not models or actresses with personal trainers don't experience things like saggy boobs and a gut after having a baby, I want their genetics.

Первый блин комом.

Sounds like the only winners in this are the doctors and insurance companies. I don't believe that a marked decrease of abortions will occur because of this, it's an empty, stupid law. Focus on education.

I disagree. Imagine being a woman that is thinking about having a abortion and knowing that she will be confronted first hand with her decision.

But we don't do that. In fact, the same legislatures that push these nonsense abortion related bills are fighting a measure that goes a long way towards what you say the general public should do - look after all it's people. Health care for all? Oh noes, that's not the general public's responsibility. The 40 some odd thousand lives lost each year due to lack of access to adequate healthcare is not a concern for the general public. Life is priceless only as long as it doesn't breathe yet. Once it does, then the general public has no responsibilities whatsoever.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

It's the woman who is immediately affected by this decision. If the "general public" isn't going to pay the womans healthcare costs of raise the baby, then it really isn't anyone's business. You should butt out.

You have so much to learn about personal responsibility. If a woman decides to have sex she needs to be held accountable not the unborn baby.

No one denied them a sonogram prior to getting their abortion. If they were so on the fence - they should have educated themselves.

(i use sonogram as the tool in the example because somehow you seem to believe this makes all the difference)

I dont think that many of the desperate teenagers in this situation really realize what they're doing until later. So the "educate yourself" argument doesn't work for me. I know teenagers. Teenagers often want a easy out and because of how widely accepted abortion is they are left believing that its not a big deal. It is a big deal and in the end they end up suffering quite a bit.