^_^

Texas teacher to Muslim-American student: “I heard about your uncle’s death”

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

A Friendswood mom says she was offended by what her daughter says happened Monday in ninth grade algebra.

She said, "The teacher told the student that 'I bet you're grieving.' And she basically looked at him and said what are you talking about? And he said I heard about your uncle's death and she said wow, because she understood that he was referring about Osama bin Laden being killed and was racially profiling her."

The remark was made to a classmate, an American-born girl of Muslim faith. It happened at Clear Brook High School in the Clear Creek Independent School District. The mom wanted to speak out about the incident but wanted us to protect her identity, saying she doesn't want any retaliation against her daughter or the girl who experienced the inappropriate comment.

The mother said, "The student ended up crying over what was said to her by the teacher and the teacher asked her why she was crying and another student said it was because of what you said earlier. And his response was, oh, OK, and just kind of smirked and giggled and walked away."

The Clear Creek school district was quick to respond, confirming what was said and issuing a prepared statement.

"In the Clear Creek Independent School District, we believe diversity strengthens our community and seek opportunities to celebrate the different cultures within our schools and neighborhoods. The sentiments allegedly shared by this teacher are not reflective of the staff at Clear Brook High School or anyone within the Clear Creek Independent School District. In accordance with CCISD policy, the teacher has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of a personnel investigation.

The student did the right thing and immediately notified an adult regarding the teachers' comments. The principal at Clear Brook High School notified the child's parents and has been in communication with the family." -Elaina Polsen, Director of Public Information, Clear Creek Independent School District

The Islamic Society of Greater Houston agrees with the action, saying they believe the incident is isolated. The group does not call for any further response.

The mom says that the girl remains in class and she is grateful that her classmates stuck up for her.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8109997

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Houston. Yup. :yes:

Edited by Paul and Vanessa

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

what, a texas school did something that a leftie might consider to be the right thing? zomg!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I wonder what subject he teaches - probably phys ed, or shop.

And what's wrong with those two classes ? They were my favorite in school...and kids learn good things in shop, and PE is good also seeing how we have too many fat pigs in the states as it is.

Those two classes were always guaranteed "A's". :)

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

It's saddening that something like this can stil happen, bringing to mind

what Americans of German, Italian & Japanese descent must have

gone through during WWII.

It probably wasn't accompanied by physical harassment, but that doesn't make it right.

The teacher made conclusions & assumptions that were at least erronious

and at worst inflammatory. We have to practice a sense of fairness even if

we are treated unfairly when we are guests in certain foreign countries;

otherwise we lose many of the good values that we have created here

which set us apart from less tolerant places

The teacher was displaying weakness, not strength..

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

It's saddening that something like this can stil happen, bringing to mind

what Americans of German, Italian & Japanese descent must have

gone through during WWII.

It probably wasn't accompanied by physical harassment, but that doesn't make it right.

The teacher made conclusions & assumptions that were at least erronious

and at worst inflammatory. We have to practice a sense of fairness even if

we are treated unfairly when we are guests in certain foreign countries;

otherwise we lose many of the good values that we have created here

which set us apart from less tolerant places

The teacher was displaying weakness, not strength..

For christ sake...the teacher f'k up, the kid will live and that will be that. It's not like anyone got beaten to death or something. I mean there's selling crack in school, and this story makes the headlines ? I can think of a lot worse when I was in school. If anything it made this kid tougher.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

It's pretty sad to see adults mis-behaving while children behaving maturely. There is hope for humanity, yet. It'll just take couple of decades before today's youth take control of rest of the country and sanity ensues.

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

For christ sake...the teacher f'k up, the kid will live and that will be that. It's not like anyone got beaten to death or something. I mean there's selling crack in school, and this story makes the headlines ? I can think of a lot worse when I was in school. If anything it made this kid tougher.

I also agree that it shouldn't make the headlines because this type of thing

fans flames that are better left to die (on both sides of the issue).

The fact is that it ended up in the media because it COULD; the press look for anything to sell copy.

It probably wasn't a case of the student just telling the school principal or director,

he probably called a press conference.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

It's pretty sad to see adults mis-behaving while children behaving maturely. There is hope for humanity, yet. It'll just take couple of decades before today's youth take control of rest of the country and sanity ensues.

A bit optimistic and perhaps overblown for this ridiculous incident, but I hope for our species' sake, you're right.

On this topic specifically- if proven to be true... teacher needs to be fired quickly.

I also agree that it shouldn't make the headlines because this type of thing

fans flames that are better left to die (on both sides of the issue).

The fact is that it ended up in the media because it COULD; the press look for anything to sell copy.

It probably wasn't a case of the student just telling the school principal or director,

he probably called a press conference.

I totally agree with you. You know what else shouldn't make headline news? Rape and rapist. These kinds of news just flames the flames. It's better to just sweep it under the floor. You see the media just wants to sell copies (although most of the news, I read are online, accessed freely) and they'll publish anything like reports of rape, serial rapists, etc. They media should just pack up their bags and not report anything.

-rolls eyes-

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)