extremerecluse

Beware if you travel alone to the Philippines

144 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I wonder what sort of gratuity the Tourist Police will expect for rendering assistance. :lol:

Sounds like an interesting job. They provide mountain bikes and training courses. But not sure I'll pass the neuropsychiatric tests :wacko:

Ya..its a fuzzy area.I've never gotten a straight answer on the legalities of giving money to beggars..BUT rest assured..if anyone of authority see's you doing what MIGHT be perceived as illegal, be prepared to pay. RULE #2..The police are NOT your friend! If you are a foreigner you will lose any alternation with a Filipino..Regardless of fault..and you will pay or find yourself somewhere you REALLY REALLY don't want to be!

Sometimes its better to be prepared to be taken advantage of, regardless of right or wrong or PRINCIPAL! I personalty know of white guys that have been stabbed arguing over trike fare!

The hardest thing to convey to new tourist to the P.I. is they operate by very different rules here and ya got to watch your six.(watch your back). Try to be as incognito as possible (especially in Manila and the larger cities).Try to always have a trusted Filipino/a with you where ever you go. And NEVER assume!!!

I appreciate the advice. Yeah, I never thought that I might be doing something illegal by giving my money to whom I choose. The beggar kids were in Davao. I spent my whole time in Davao other then the airport in Manila. It only happened to me twice. Once, it was while my girlfriend and I were downtown going out to eat. The two little girls were more or less in rags and opened their hands to me. They didn't say a word, but I knew they wanted something so I gave some pesos. The second time was at Eden Nature Park, and this was a group of kids. I gave to them right in front of a guard, and he just smiled at me and said, "Hey, friend." Well, I will be cautious. My girlfriend is from Davao and has some street smarts there. Several times, I would have been potentially approached by whomever for whatever, but she knew when to take direction. Her family was a great help too.

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I must say I have enjoyed reading these posts. My filipina helped me after i got to her place, but up until then, I was alone. Many interesting stories. Was looking for money at the NAIA airport when I first got there. Had to leave my bags to go outside to get money and come back in. They gave me a claim ticket, I went out got money, came back. gave them the card, got my bags and walked away. they said nothing. the guard athe the entrance was extrmely friendly to me, so I was "friendly" back. this of course was inside the local PAL terminal and no the international terminal. I was glad I was not stopping in manila.

Got off the plane at my final destination. I was asked by everyone of the Porters for help with my bags, even though I told one just before him no. Over and over again. Once I walked out, I was aksed for help with my bags. I kept saying "Hindi, huindi, hindi" if they kept is up, I said "aray ko" if they pressed further " aray ko puta ka" then they stopped and walked away. when I walked outside with my bags. I saw mahal ko, just a little after she saw me. Every porter did a double take. I had an entourage of 18 people there. And when I got to them, all my bags disappeared in a heartbeat, the family took everything. I was left with mahal ko. It was the most precious moment. the porters seemed relieved they had not taken my bags. A group of 18 with several fishermen in the gorup seemed to drive them away. Man, how I wished I had them in Manila. No one would have looked twice at me.

At the hotel they kept on trying to charge me for the internet. Someone came into the restaurant to use the internet. They looked at me because I was just leaving to go to the village. I looked at her (who was the general manager). Smiled and walked on. i did not care about the internet anymore. I was getting a load card for my fiance so I could use the laptop whenever. Also, I had looked at other hotels. I already knew I was NOT coming back to this one. It may be close, but they changed policy while I was styaing there, plus they did not tell us the conference room was booked all week. I never got to sleep before 11 pm, and woke up at 6 am for cleaning on of the conference room. they even tried to sell me a massage. Wow, talk about fireworks! Filipina's know a lot of bad language but never use it. I was so shell shocked at her response, it took me a while to get over it. She may have a brown face, but it was red. It took me a while to find out. A filipina can go from sweet to fire to sweet in less then a heartbeat.

taking a motorbike to the bus station from the village, the guy asked someone about how his tire was. I told him enough about your tire. I will give you 30 pesos to get us there. If your tire blows, you have to give me 100 pesos or your bike for making me walk. He shut up and got me there. the tire did not blow. When my fiance found out what I had said, she smirked. She had wondered why he was going so fast. She was on a different bike. She said i was lucky he didn't tell me to get off. I said, he didn't want to lose the bike.

when finally leaving, both my fiance and her cousin walked me to the door of the airport. Once I got inside, I got "razzed" by the security guards over having two girls. I said i only kissed one. I recognized they were having fun, but also hoping to catch me in something for a bribe. I looked at them and said, I thought the clans down here practiced polygamy just like back in my home state of Arizona. Those are just my first two wives, I am still selecting others as well. Plus if you believe that, I can also sell you the "coconut palace". they said, you got more then one wife? I replied, maybe, maybe not, maybe I am not married at all, at least my passport says I am not married, but that is my problem is it not? Besides, I just gave all my pesos except for taxes to that girl I kissed, if she is not my fiance, that is one helluva an expensive kiss and I have one helluva a hnagover from an engagement party I paid for Friday night. (this was Sunday afternoon.)They let me be. I was the only American, and the only Caucasian in the airport terminal.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Wow...

All that needed to be done was for your fiancee to complain or fuss at them. They only ever try things like that when I'm alone. People giving in and giving them any money at all is what keeps them coming back for more. And if you fell for the "sitting fee", well....

BTW, this entire thread would fit better in the Philippines regional forum since is has absolutely nothing to IR-1/CR1.

I agree on both your points first, my fiancee is quick to jump in on any issues where others are trying to cheat her ignorant american fiance, but secondly anyone going to the Phils or other destinations should always be wary. I have had times when people would have cheated me in Costa Rica or England nothing about the country you have those type of people everywhere, and the people in the Phils know what poor is and if they can pull a fast one on the unsuspecting foreigner they normally will. I have traveled a fair amount and have learned something different with each trip where ever. So if you got snookered for 10 or 20 dollars welcome to the club at sometime another it has happened to most of us. I recommend to look at it as a learning experience, where else could you get such an important lesson for only 20 bucks. It happened do not stress over it now and you are now wiser for the next trip.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It stands that everyone wants what they think you got and thats money. They will befriend you and do things for you with the only motive of getting some money from you. I had a couple experiences that taught me to be aware of surroundings and try to find out things on my own or have someone with me that knows. Just always watch out for someone that wants to be your friend real fast in a foreign country.

Filed: Timeline

It stands that everyone wants what they think you got and thats money. They will befriend you and do things for you with the only motive of getting some money from you. I had a couple experiences that taught me to be aware of surroundings and try to find out things on my own or have someone with me that knows. Just always watch out for someone that wants to be your friend real fast in a foreign country.

And sometimes it works out rather well. I had the Chief of Police in Ponape act as my wingman and tour guide, when I spent a week on leave in his jurisdiction decades ago, all because I had a rental car and a pocket full of dollars.

Including family.....in most cases, you will pay for everything (parties. excursions,etc). On several occasions I was 'invited' on family 'outings' and at the opportune time, ask to pay all expenses!..I now refuse to pay anymore than our share and...surprise surprise...were never invited anymore. I realize all the families aren't like that but the notion 'all white guys are rich and WANT to give their money away' runs pretty deep. Fortunately, I have an Asawa that's not stuck to her family like glue. Very rare indeed :-)

DCF-Manila

10/02/2008 ---- Met

06/04/2010 ---- Married

04/26/2011 ---- Filed I-130

06/03/2011 ---- I-130 approved, notify by e-mail from (DHS/USCIS)

06/13/2011 ---- Received e-mail from Manila IV Correspondence

06/15/2011 ---- Received letter from DHS/USCIS (NOA)

06/28/2011 ---- Sent (fax) the DS-230I & DS-2001

07/05/2011 ---- Schedule for interview date (online)

07/11-12/2011--Medical PASSED

08/01/2011 ---- Interview - (done @9:00am) APPROVED

08/01/2011 ---- CFO (1:30pm)

08/05/2011 ---- VISA IN HAND (4days after interview)

08/12/2011 ---- Flight...

08/12/2011 ---- POE Seattle, WA (arrived @ 8pm)

Including family.....in most cases, you will pay for everything (parties. excursions,etc). On several occasions I was 'invited' on family 'outings' and at the opportune time, ask to pay all expenses!..I now refuse to pay anymore than our share and...surprise surprise...were never invited anymore. I realize all the families aren't like that but the notion 'all white guys are rich and WANT to give their money away' runs pretty deep. Fortunately, I have an Asawa that's not stuck to her family like glue. Very rare indeed :-)

I totally agree with you! Filipinos stereotype white people as rich. And it pisses me off because they're narrow-minded.

I got pissed off by my own family (i'm the beneficiary) because they expected my fiance to pay for all expenses while he stayed at the house in the country. They did not even thank him for taking them out to dinner and paying for food and place when we went to a beach resort. Grrrr!

Naturalization Timeline - last hurrah!

04-25-2016 N-400 Filing Date
04-29-2016 NOA Date
05-02-2016 E-notification via email & text
05-05-2016 Received NOA in the mail
05-07-2016 Biometrics is scheduled
05-13-2016 Received Biometrics letter
05-20-2016 Biometrics walk-in (05/27/2016)
09-20-2016 E-notification: Interview is scheduled
09-26-2016 Interview Letter in the mail
10-24-2016 Interview Date (pending approval)

02-16-2017 Approved
06-09-2017 Oath Ceremony 

ROC Timeline
03-23-2015 Mailed ROC
03-24-2015 NOA1 Date
06-25-2015 Service Request for biometrics appointment
08-15-2015 Received Biometrics Letter
08-20-2015 Biometrics walk-in (08/24/2015)
09-03-2015 ROC Approval date
09-11-2015 GC on hand

K1 => AOS My K-1 Guide (Blog)

I totally agree with you! Filipinos stereotype white people as rich. And it pisses me off because they're narrow-minded.

I got pissed off by my own family (i'm the beneficiary) because they expected my fiance to pay for all expenses while he stayed at the house in the country. They did not even thank him for taking them out to dinner and paying for food and place when we went to a beach resort. Grrrr!

Don't worry. That won't stop them from asking for even more money when you come to marry your rich Kano. Don't expect any gratitude then either, as you will be just doing your duty as a good daughter: "Don't forget us when you go to America!"

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here's an idea - how about all these Filipinos living abroad, work towards social and economic change in their home country where 1/3 of all Filipinos live below the poverty level? Or is just all these poor folk are simply too lazy to pull themselves out of poverty?

Here's an idea - how about all these Filipinos living abroad, work towards social and economic change in their home country where 1/3 of all Filipinos live below the poverty level? Or is just all these poor folk are simply too lazy to pull themselves out of poverty?

Revolutionaries like to talk to sympathetic foreigners. It will happen. The seeds of discontent have been sown, and perhaps they have found fertile soil. Hopefully, it will be a bit more effective and comprehensive than was the ESDA Revolution, not just a shuffling of the players.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Revolutionaries like to talk to sympathetic foreigners. It will happen. The seeds of discontent have been sown, and perhaps they have found fertile soil. Hopefully, it will be a bit more effective and comprehensive than was the ESDA Revolution, not just a shuffling of the players.

Change doesn't have to come from then end of a muzzle....

When the current PHL Prez and most presidents of the past praise encourage the "hero worship" of the OFW's, I don't see this problem being fixed. Until the mindset is to NOT depend on remittances as a major source of economic growth, nothing will change.

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Woah.... White people ?More like anybody from abroad in general..I am filipino/American born and raised in Hawaii.When I first met my wife family we invited them for dinner only mom ,dad, and her brothers wives and kids cause the brothers work abroad.We invited them only. When we are visiting my wife family in Mindanao we always stay at a hotel so we don't feel obilgated to anything.I always tell her the budget for the trip so she knows what we can spend per day.At the end of my trip I always give the rest of the money to her and just having 100.00 usd.and credit cards in my pocket when I get home.. Bottom line anybody from abroad is consider the cash cow and they gonna milk you cause they know they can .They are not looking at the color of your skin more like the dollars sign on your forehead..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.