extremerecluse

Beware if you travel alone to the Philippines

144 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

not a topic for the 'IR-1 / CR-1 Spouse Visa Case Filing and Progress Reports' forum - moving to PI forum

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Same thing happened with my fiance on one of his previous visits here. He used the phone of one of the porters to call me, and when the guy looked like he expected a "tip", he handed him 5 dollars, said thank you and walked away. It was money well-spent, he said, and he was too happy to be seeing me anyway :D

Those guys are small-time scammers. It's unfortunate and annoying, I know. But try to keep your sense of humor. All's well that ends well.

Dec 05, 2011: Received U.S. permanent resident status (AOS based on K-1 visa)

Dec 16, 2013: Removal of conditions on green card

Apr 28, 2015: Became a U.S. Citizen

Don't fall prey to their "act of kindness".

I felt ashamed when people try to scam and beg for money when my fiance visited me. My fiance couldn't enjoy Boracay because people would just beg for money or insist on going on some boat ride or something... I hate filipino mentality about white people

Naturalization Timeline - last hurrah!

04-25-2016 N-400 Filing Date
04-29-2016 NOA Date
05-02-2016 E-notification via email & text
05-05-2016 Received NOA in the mail
05-07-2016 Biometrics is scheduled
05-13-2016 Received Biometrics letter
05-20-2016 Biometrics walk-in (05/27/2016)
09-20-2016 E-notification: Interview is scheduled
09-26-2016 Interview Letter in the mail
10-24-2016 Interview Date (pending approval)

02-16-2017 Approved
06-09-2017 Oath Ceremony 

ROC Timeline
03-23-2015 Mailed ROC
03-24-2015 NOA1 Date
06-25-2015 Service Request for biometrics appointment
08-15-2015 Received Biometrics Letter
08-20-2015 Biometrics walk-in (08/24/2015)
09-03-2015 ROC Approval date
09-11-2015 GC on hand

K1 => AOS My K-1 Guide (Blog)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was walking around the outside of a mall my 3rd time there while waiting for next day to travel to see my fiancee and a man approached me and shook my hand and was very friendly. He was the doorman from the hotel but was off work and reconized me. Very friendly. I asked him where is the food court and he said follow me. He took me there. Then he asked for some money for a birthday present and said his daughter had a birthday party at Jollibys nearby and wanted to get her a present. I told him, "man, today was my birthday..I tell you what, lets go back to the party together and celebrate at the same time!" he laughed very little then smiled and walked off... I got him! hahaha

Visa K1 Journey

02-21-10 met online

04-13-10 visit for 21 days in Philippines

08-14-10 visit for 3 months in Philippines

11-01-10 filed K-1

11-06-10 NOA1 received

04-19-11 RFE received

04-21-11 RFE returned

05-04-11 NOA2

05-11-11 Received at NVC, case number assigned

05-13-11 Left NVC to the USEM

06-01-11 Set up interview with embassy

07-21-11 Approved!... with an additional document she needs to aquire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBHEKx6afFw

If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

I've had similar experiences while visiting Africa. This sort of thing happens in every developing country. It's unacceptable to us as US citizens but in many countries, you need bribe money on hand because this is unfortunately how they operate at times and goes with the territory...

:lol:

Love these stories.

When I landed in Davao, I pretty much just followed the crowd, and apparently looked lost. One of the very helpful porters shows me where to get my bags, and he even is kind enough to get my luggage off the conveyor belt. What a nice guy. I give him either 500 or 1000 pesos, I don't remember which, because I only had large bills and I'm a moron.

As I'm walking out of the airport this nice guy insists on carrying my luggage every step of the way. He won't even put it down when I tell him I found the people waiting for me. He clearly expects me to tip him again. Luckily I'd been doing the math in my head and I realized how much I had just tipped him for finding my luggage that I could have found myself.

So, now we both have a hand on my luggage. "I see them, thanks for your help" "No sir, I have it." "It's alright, I'm good." "No sir, I'll help you." "I really need to go now." "I know. I'll help."

On the bright side, he wasn't begging, he wasn't stealing, and he was at least performing a service. He was just counting on me being a moron twice. But I still love the Philippines.

:lol:

to OP, im sorry this happen to u..

i wish your fiancee had warned you about this stuff at the airport..

"i don't know much about love but i know that i love him.."

When I went on my first trip none of these things happen because I research everything even the airport. You can find plenty of info. on Youtube how to get through the airport with any problems. Also would send money to my wife at the time was my fiance and should would exchange the money and also she would get private driver to pick me up at the airport. If research you can manage to get through the airport with no issues. If you show yourself you know what your doing they would not come up to you to help you. I also stayed in Tondo and never had any issues when I was their. The only problem that I had was getting a taxi early in the morning and most of the time they would want to over charge or do it off meter which we never agree. But I did do some taxi to deal with to work with my range and never had a problem because they needed the money. Also my mom came to the Philippines for the first time to the airport and I had explain everything to do and she never had any issue at the airport.

Did you get rolled while wandering alone in Tondo at night or something? Except for a few scheming cabbies, I didn't have any problems in Manila. It is not any different than any big city, like Oakland, or Detroit, or Washington, D.C. Just don't wander around at night without family members to keep you out of trouble.

Yup...I was wondering the same thing. You would think someone as worldly, sophisticated, and educated as Jack wouldn't have any problem handling Manila.

When I went on my first trip none of these things happen because I research everything even the airport. You can find plenty of info. on Youtube how to get through the airport with any problems. Also would send money to my wife at the time was my fiance and should would exchange the money and also she would get private driver to pick me up at the airport. If research you can manage to get through the airport with no issues. If you show yourself you know what your doing they would not come up to you to help you. I also stayed in Tondo and never had any issues when I was their. The only problem that I had was getting a taxi early in the morning and most of the time they would want to over charge or do it off meter which we never agree. But I did do some taxi to deal with to work with my range and never had a problem because they needed the money. Also my mom came to the Philippines for the first time to the airport and I had explain everything to do and she never had any issue at the airport.

my hubby did the same thing..

he did a research before flying to manila..

he went to travel.state.gov then searched philippines then verified the info to me..

he also watched youtube videos..

i told him lotsa stories and let him read articles from the internet..

and i also informed him about the DO's and DONT's in the philippines..

"i don't know much about love but i know that i love him.."

tallcoolone, i really don't wanna waste time and energy to reply to you but i've had enough of you..

seriously? have u ever been and stayed in manila for an extended amount of time? have you experienced all that manila has to offer?

i'm from manila and where i live isn't a sh!thole.. i'm not sayin the city is so great but it's definitely not a sh!hole!

i just hate people who try to be smart and say sh!t about something without even seeing the real/whole thing..

don't you think filipinos visit the philippine forum and leave hating visajourney because of your stup!d comments?!

you insult thousands of filipinos with narrow minded comments like this so don't you think you are a sad and poor representation of your state or america?!

:thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You got off lucky. You probably would have gotten rolled in a US airport. :rofl:

LOL very true indeed...I never complain about any of my trips to Phils because I know as soon as I am off that plane I am a walking neon sign. I just grin and bear it. On a side note everytime I land in Phils a go right up to Kuya and ask to borrow his phone to call my Kimmy and they are have alwasy been cool with me. Sometimes you just have to know how to speak the language, smile and offer a fair tip always seem to get me in good graces.

Thom

THOM AND KIM's JOURNEY

Aug 31, 2010 - I-129F package sent to VSC

Sept 2, 2010 - NOA-1 hard copy received

Sept 5, 2010 - Check cashed

Nov 29, 2010 - Case Touched

Feb 25, 2011 - Contacted Senator

Feb 28, 2011 - NOA2 APPROVED **179 Days since NOA1 Received**

Mar 7, 2011 - NOA2 Hard Copy arrived

NVC

NVC receieved petition - Mar 7 2011

NVC case number received - Mar 8 2011 MNL2011XXXXXX

NVC case shipped to Embassy - Mar 9 2011

US Embassy Manila

Package delivered DHL - Mar 14 2011 signed by Leonilo

USEM - Medical- Passed Medical Mar 18 2011

USEM- Interview - APPROVED 4-14

USEM- VISA IN HAND - 4-30-2011

CFO - 5-2-2011

Kim on the plane 5-18-2011 Welcome to USA!

To add also I had one of my old cell phone unlocked and bought Smart SIM card on Ebay so when I arrived I was able to call with no problems and also able to call to the states to let them know I arrived safe.

To add also I had one of my old cell phone unlocked and bought Smart SIM card on Ebay so when I arrived I was able to call with no problems and also able to call to the states to let them know I arrived safe.

Never had a problem. Love Manila, and love Negros Occidental. You have to learn how to say "no" and mean it. I don't know about others, but I use Verizon, and when I turned my phone on at the Manila airport, I immediately got a txt message fom Verizon saying "Welcome to the Phlippines". Additionally, the txt message told me how to make local calls, and calls back to the states on my cell phone. Called my wife (fiancee at the time), and she was 100 ft from me.

tallcoolone, i really don't wanna waste time and energy to reply to you but i've had enough of you..

seriously? have u ever been and stayed in manila for an extended amount of time? have you experienced all that manila has to offer?

i'm from manila and where i live isn't a sh!thole.. i'm not sayin the city is so great but it's definitely not a sh!hole!

i just hate people who try to be smart and say sh!t about something without even seeing the real/whole thing..

don't you think filipinos visit the philippine forum and leave hating visajourney because of your stup!d comments?!

you insult thousands of filipinos with narrow minded comments like this so don't you think you are a sad and poor representation of your state or america?!

:thumbs:... +1 envy_me... :yes:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.