extremerecluse

Beware if you travel alone to the Philippines

144 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

LOl, it cost me 2000p for a ride from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 at Manila Airport.

Five-star hotel car services to the airport, coming from Makati/Manila area, would charge you about the same and that cabbie probably knows it.

Grace

Edited by graceroxas

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

LOl, it cost me 2000p for a ride from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 at Manila Airport.

You, sir, got ripped off :huh:

5/16/2011 | I-129F sent to Dallas Lockbox

5/18/2011 | Package received at Lockbox

5/18/2011 | NOA1

5/24/2011 | Received email and text notifications

5/25/2011 | Check cashed

5/27/2011 | NOA1 Hardcopy

9/15/2011 | NOA2 approved

11/2/2011 | Interview - rescheduled to 11/7

11/7/2011 | Interview in Manilla..... VISA APPROVED!!!

11/16/2011 | Visa ON HAND !!!

12/1/2011 | Get to be with my Lordy :D

12/2/2011 | My Birthday :P

12/31/2011 | Married!!!

03/1/2012 | Visa expired :(

03/7/2012 | AOS, I-765, I-131 submitted

3/16/2012 | NOA1

04/9/2012 | Biometric

Timeline

You guys have to do your homework before getting to Manila. I met my fiancée outside of the international terminal with no problem. Immediately after exiting, i bought a SmartCard sim card w/ load. ( you have to contact your cell carrier at least 10 days before your flight so they can give you the unlock code to your phone which I had done)I then called her and found where she was waiting for me. I had to ask police (pulis) officer where the area was since I was a little confused on where she was at. Always ask police, they are easy to find b/c he is holding a pistol-grip 12gauge. The only extra person that I tipped was the guy who got us a taxi that kept us from waiting in long line. Also to cut down on time, i exchanged $50 into P2,100 while in Los Angeles. Its not the best xchange rate, but it minimizes your time at the Manila airport.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

for the first 3 years traveling to the philippines that kind of ####### didnt bother me because i ignored them.

but now it seems to be getting on my nerves. if you are genuinly kind to someone then everyone else around you

expect the same kindness. i travel there all the time by myself and i havent had any problems.

what really pisses me off is when they think you are actually stoopid enoungh to fall for their tricks.

if i ever liver there my name will never be registered anywhere. only my wifes name will be on the bills or contract.

5/24 submitted AOS

6/08 NOA

6/21 RFE

7/14 AOS Transfere

7/26 received biometrics appt. (8/15/2011)

8/15 BIOMETRICS COMPLETE

8/19 APPROVAL LETTER FOR EAD MAILED

8/22 EAD AND AP ARRIVED IN MAIL

8/31 AOS APPROVED

9/14 GREEN CARD ORDERED FOR PRODUCTION

9/17 RECIEVED GREEN CARD

I don't know about others, but I use Verizon, and when I turned my phone on at the Manila airport, I immediately got a txt message fom Verizon saying "Welcome to the Phlippines". Additionally, the txt message told me how to make local calls, and calls back to the states on my cell phone.

International roaming is the biggest scam of all. Verizon charges about $2.29/minute, right?

If you bought a prepaid SIM card, you could've talked for a week what you paid for one 5 minute call.

This is not a Filipino thing, this is a 3rd world thing. Every 3rd world country I have been to I have encountered this kind of #######. There are many lazy people who just don't want to work and make an honest living, they prefer to scam unknowing tourists. Airports, taxis, people "helping" without being asked, "tour guides", etc etc. It happens everywhere.

And they know that American are tip-happy. We have been trained by every sandwich maker, coffee pourer, and dry cleaner that we should tip. Americans take this way of thinking abroad where tipping is usually not customary. These scam-artists are aware of our "generosity" and see us as easy marks. And after they score, they go back to their scam artist buddies and compare who got the most and laugh at how stupid we are for falling for it. Best thing to do is be firm. If you say "NO" politely and it's not understood, say it with a firmer tone. And if the person continues to "help" you, say thank you and walk away. If they demand a tip (I love when people use the word "demand" :unsure: ), simply say "I didn't want or ask for your help." The main thing is to look like you have done it before, especially traveling abroad.

Tourists falling for these scams is expected and not really surprising, but when locals do so, it's kind of alarming. Talk about lack of street smarts.:o

Edited by Eric-Pris

Timeline

Your first mistake was arriving at the airport at 11:30pm. I've been to the Philippines 3 times, and I always arrive during the day. And since it was your first time, why arrive so late in a strange country? I had the same situation as you the first time I arrived in Manila. My fiancee was there on the next level in the waiting area of the terminal. I didn't think about using my cell phone but I did have her cell# with me. I was about to use the pay phone to call her and the security guard came up and asked me the same questions. He offered to let me use his cellphone and I contacted my fiancee and she told me where she was. I was going to tip him anyway, and he asked me for some money. I reached in and gave him about 30 php. The second trip, the same thing. He asked me for american money this time. I gave him $1.00. He was happy. That was about 45 php at the time.

So really what happened to you was that you didn't know the customs of international traveling to foreign countries. People all the world will try to "roll" you especially since you are perceived as a rich American or foreigner. Learn from it and don't blame the people. Be wise in your traveling. 500 php is about $11.62 U.S. Dollar (43 php conversion). Taxi drivers are the same. Just ask for the meter to be turned on. If they don't comply, then just get out (unless you're in a dangerous place and need to escape....hehehe).

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

:lol:

Love these stories.

When I landed in Davao, I pretty much just followed the crowd, and apparently looked lost. One of the very helpful porters shows me where to get my bags, and he even is kind enough to get my luggage off the conveyor belt. What a nice guy. I give him either 500 or 1000 pesos, I don't remember which, because I only had large bills and I'm a moron.

As I'm walking out of the airport this nice guy insists on carrying my luggage every step of the way. He won't even put it down when I tell him I found the people waiting for me. He clearly expects me to tip him again. Luckily I'd been doing the math in my head and I realized how much I had just tipped him for finding my luggage that I could have found myself.

So, now we both have a hand on my luggage. "I see them, thanks for your help" "No sir, I have it." "It's alright, I'm good." "No sir, I'll help you." "I really need to go now." "I know. I'll help."

On the bright side, he wasn't begging, he wasn't stealing, and he was at least performing a service. He was just counting on me being a moron twice. But I still love the Philippines.

:lol:

Davao is one of the best places to visit. The taxi drivers, airport employees, tricycle drivers etc mostly are honest. It is because of their very strict Mayor. Everybody is scared of him that's why they try to behave. I is one of the few places I go that I am not scared of being duped.

01-24-2011 - Sent I-130 for Parents (USPS Priority)
02-02-2011 - Notice of Action 1
05-11-2011 - Notice of Action 2 - Approved! (104 Days)
----------
05-24-2011 - Case numbers assigned
05-26-2011 - Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill (Email)
05-26-2011 - Paid I-854 bill
05-31-2011 - AOS Fee showed as PAID
05-31-2011 - DS-3032 received per NVC email
06-01-2011 - IV bill generated
06-03-2011 - I-864 Sent and delivered, June 06, 2011
06-07-2011 - Paid IV bill
06-07-2011 - Medical at St. Lukes - PASSED
06-08-2011 - IV bill marked as PAID
06-09-2011 - DS-230 sent and delivered, June 13, 2011
06-21-2011 - Received I-864 Checklist
06-27-2011 - NVC received DS-230
06-28-2011 - Mailed DS-230 and I-864 checklists
07-12-2011 - Re-scheduled interview appointment to Aug 16, 2011
07-13-2011 - Sign In Failed for Dad's Case
07-26-2011 - Sign In Failed for Mom's case
08-03-2011 - Case forwarded to USEM
08-08-2011 - Cases received by USEM
08-16-2011 - Interview schedule. APPROVED!
08-19-2011 - VISA on hand
08-23-2011 - POE - LAX (Yes, they finally made it to the US!)
09-05-2011 - Baby Due. It's good to have Lolo and Lola when this special day happens.
preg.png

event.png

------------------------

Citizenship of Parents:

07/22/2016 - Sent N-400 to Phoenix, AZ by USPS Priority
delivered
check cashed
07/30/2016 - NOA
Touched
Biometrics
Interview letter received
Interview -*APPROVED*
Oath date -** US CITIZEN **
Applied for passport
Passport Received!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Davao is one of the best places to visit. The taxi drivers, airport employees, tricycle drivers etc mostly are honest. It is because of their very strict Mayor. Everybody is scared of him that's why they try to behave. I is one of the few places I go that I am not scared of being duped.

hahaha thats a true statement concerning davao's mayor.

the phils needs 10,000 more just like him.

5/24 submitted AOS

6/08 NOA

6/21 RFE

7/14 AOS Transfere

7/26 received biometrics appt. (8/15/2011)

8/15 BIOMETRICS COMPLETE

8/19 APPROVAL LETTER FOR EAD MAILED

8/22 EAD AND AP ARRIVED IN MAIL

8/31 AOS APPROVED

9/14 GREEN CARD ORDERED FOR PRODUCTION

9/17 RECIEVED GREEN CARD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.