extremerecluse

Beware if you travel alone to the Philippines

144 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I don't think there is one big hypothesis that would explain why PH is what it is now. Let's not oversimplify things. It could all just be a bad stew of so many things: corruption, weak government policies, bad leadership, misplaced religiosity and superstition,economic inequity, colonial mentality,counterproductive cultural traits, ad nauseam...

Tomes have been written about each of those topics and you guys propose to resolve the question once and for all in a VJ forum thread?

A few years of living and traveling around the country hardly qualifies one to become an expert. I've been here for all of 36 years, since birth that is, and I don't feel remotely qualified to pontificate about what's wrong with the country in general. I just do what I can within my experience.

Grace

Chinese corporations own almost anything of value in the Philippines. If the Philippines government nationalized all those foreign owned industries, seizing their assets, and kicking them out of the country, then the Filipinos themselves could enjoy the fruits of their labors.

But, sadly, there just doesn't seem to be that motivation, despite having one of the most educated populations in the world. The education system seem to be geared to producing the Philippines primary export: OFW's.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Tomes have been written about each of those topics and you guys propose to resolve the question once and for all in a VJ forum thread?

it's vj, there's a solution for everything here!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I don't think there is one big hypothesis that would explain why PH is what it is now. Let's not oversimplify things. It could all just be a bad stew of so many things: corruption, weak government policies, bad leadership, misplaced religiosity and superstition,economic inequity, colonial mentality,counterproductive cultural traits, ad nauseam...

A few years of living and traveling around the country hardly qualifies one to become an expert. I've been here for all of 36 years, since birth that is, and I don't feel remotely qualified to pontificate about what's wrong with the country in general. I just do what I can within my experience.

Grace

Your absolutely right. I know in my three short years living in the PI I'm far from knowing anything beyond what I observe. Lord knows you can't believe anything in print or on the tube. But I have to say..last year my heart was totally shattered watching ,LIVE on tv, the PNP allowing eight Chinese nationals to be butchered (Manila bus highjacking) because of their TOTAL incompetence and cowardice. I originally came to the PI to retire but that incident in itself changed my mind and I knew I had to take my wife and get the hell out of this country. Only the Filipinos can change their self imposed hell hole and, sadly, I'm not holding out much hope.

My wife's cousin is OFW in Singapore...and a while back she texted.."Ate, I'm so ashamed of my country..I never knew nor believed what we've done to our own country until I left". Nuff said..I'm out of here..........

DCF-Manila

10/02/2008 ---- Met

06/04/2010 ---- Married

04/26/2011 ---- Filed I-130

06/03/2011 ---- I-130 approved, notify by e-mail from (DHS/USCIS)

06/13/2011 ---- Received e-mail from Manila IV Correspondence

06/15/2011 ---- Received letter from DHS/USCIS (NOA)

06/28/2011 ---- Sent (fax) the DS-230I & DS-2001

07/05/2011 ---- Schedule for interview date (online)

07/11-12/2011--Medical PASSED

08/01/2011 ---- Interview - (done @9:00am) APPROVED

08/01/2011 ---- CFO (1:30pm)

08/05/2011 ---- VISA IN HAND (4days after interview)

08/12/2011 ---- Flight...

08/12/2011 ---- POE Seattle, WA (arrived @ 8pm)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Chinese corporations own almost anything of value in the Philippines. If the Philippines government nationalized all those foreign owned industries, seizing their assets, and kicking them out of the country, then the Filipinos themselves could enjoy the fruits of their labors.

But, sadly, there just doesn't seem to be that motivation, despite having one of the most educated populations in the world. The education system seem to be geared to producing the Philippines primary export: OFW's.

I know what you mean. But these corporations controlled by people with Chinese-sounding names are not necessarily Chinese corporations. A few of the biggest taipans in PH are actually second- or third-generation Chinese immigrants who made their fortunes here from scratch, not even finishing college. Sounds familiar?

While I do not agree with many of their business practices, I think they should be emulated rather than reviled.

Grace

it's vj, there's a solution for everything here!

Am beginning to believe it :hehe:

In looking around the country and observing some of the obvious problems with the PHL (filth, pollution) and some of the not obvious (corruption, graft, apathy), I've often thought one of the biggest differences between Americans and Filipinos is what they expect of their government. If the government did not at least provide for basic services, in America the public would demand a resolution to the problem. In the PHL, I sense a feeling of acceptance, that this is "just the way it is."

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Filed: Timeline

In looking around the country and observing some of the obvious problems with the PHL (filth, pollution) and some of the not obvious (corruption, graft, apathy), I've often thought one of the biggest differences between Americans and Filipinos is what they expect of their government. If the government did not at least provide for basic services, in America the public would demand a resolution to the problem. In the PHL, I sense a feeling of acceptance, that this is "just the way it is."

It definitely has something to do with motivation. The only problem is, the motivated ones are leaving the country to work elsewhere, join an overseas relative, or marry a rich Kano.

Edited by Some Old Guy

luckly didn't have any problems when i landed there... i went in Novermber 2010 got of the plane went threw customs the Custom lady was flirting with me. said welcome and enjoy your stay and asked me where i was going. i told her Talisay Cebu she said ok great have a fun time.. i left the airport... a guy came up got my luggage and followed me to where my soon to be wife was standing.. i gave the guy 100 pesos for doing my luggage. and i had that same experance on the flight home too. i have hurd and seen people being hasseled. and its sad but the best think to do is go with it give them the money and they will leave you alone. there is no reason so cause a bigger problem.. let them do what they want. and leave.... we pay to much money to be turned around on and sent home...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

DONT FEED THE BEARS

As a tourist, there is no reason whatsoever to speak to any Filipino who approaches you on the street. Period.

Legitimate opportunities in the country are few and far between. Peer recognition and wealth are directly proportional to how clever the person is to extract pera from another.

Avoid eye contact, walk past anyone calling out to you on the street. Don't stop and turn your head around for whistes or calling "Hey Joe."

They play the game all day long and have for many years, they have a comeback ready for anything you say to them. Know your route, know the prices, and always negotoate.

Watch your 6 and don't feed the bears.

Timeline

LOl, it cost me 2000p for a ride from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 at Manila Airport.

May 2008 Met Online

June 2010 Traveled to GenSan and proposal accepted

July 27th 2010 mailed I129 to Vermount

July 30th 2010 Noa 1

October 03, 2010 "touched"

Timeline

LOl, it cost me 2000p for a ride from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 at Manila Airport.

You really got scammed!Be careful, it dont cost nearly that much for a ride in a sense around the Block! :unsure:

Sent NOA1 April 30th 2011

received May 2nd 2011

NOA1 Notice Date:May 4th 2011

NOA 2 txt/ email on july 18th 2011

NOA 2 received in Mail July 20th dated July 18th 2011

NOA2 in "74" days!

NO RFE

Personal issue in the Philippines

Medical Exam: March 22nd 2012

Medical Cleared on March 23rd 2012

Interview Date:April 16th, 2012......PASSED

Arrival Los Angeles California: July 7th 2012.

Marriage September 7th 2012 at San Bernardino County Hall of Records

Preparing for AOS

"I Wholly disapprove of what you say, But I will defend to the death, Your RIGHT to say it"

" _ Volitaire- "

:wow:

You really got scammed! :unsure:

:yes:

These kind of (cab) drivers are scattered everywhere even in Orlando, Florida...

Edited by ~happyndinlove~

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ouch :bonk: It Happens - I remember my 1st time and how confusing pesos can be.

Live and Learn

Peace.....................Happy

“The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.”

Timeline

Been there too many times to fall for any of that. I never give up anything at the airport but sometimes in the city or other provinces Iwill ish out some pesos to some who flag cabs, etc, cuz i know they really need it and I can spare some. Ex-wife is from Mindinao and current fiancee from Luzon and they both have relatives in all over the Visayas. I've been around that place. Its not that bad and its waaaaaaaay better than some.

I just got back Monday!

10/17/2008 - First Contact via message in CB

03/15/2009 - Engaged

05/15/2009 - First meeting in person (I traveled to Philippines)

10/05/2010 - Sent I-129F package to Fiancee VISA service for review and forwarding

12/08/2011 - Interview - Approved!

12/20/2011 - VISA in hand! (Never showed up in 2go online tracking!)

01/04/2012 - POE San Francisco(SFO)I met her there.

01/05/2012 - We're Home!

02/14/2012 - Married Valentine's Day 2012!

05/04/2012 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP packages via FedEx ground

07/26/2012 - EAD/AP Combo card received

"TeddyHoney and SqueezyBear"

(Derrick and Ritchie)

Timeline

Insofar as the educational system, my experience is in the provinces and not the major metropolitan areas with significant foreign influence. It's appalling by comparison. I see this in many third world where there is a lot of emphasis on pomp and ceremony, ribbons and awards, parades, uniforms, and most reprehensibly all these stupid "projects" the kids are made to do that cost money and have almost no educational value whatsoever.

I guess I should not be shocked that on Mindanao where the land conflict between indigenous Muslims and the immigrant Christans is the greatest, the kids are completely clueless as to why. One hour of instruction is all that it would take to impart the gist of the situation but the subject is not even discussed. Yet it is the most important social problem in existence there. More than a hundred thousand people have been killed in the wars, and the conflict is the biggest stumbling block to capital investment.

So the kids are made to buy expensive materials, traveling to stores, constructing some pretentious display poster containing information that could be conveyed in less then ten seconds. With the money and time the kid could have purchased and read a book on an entire suject.

I have called schools to ask what their admission requirements are or some other standard information that should be readily at hand, and after being shuffled from one office to the next been told that I have to come in person to get the information. There is a premium on wasting time and engaging in counterproductive pursuits.

One of the most aggravating things I ever experienced there was trying to find out how to get a phone book. We made numerous calls to PLDT offices by cell phone, and actually had several different employees tell us nobody was allowed to have phone books. We had them hang up on us for asking. We absolutely failed despite relentless effort to learn how to get a phone book, from the very company that distributes them. yet when we got the phone line installed, we were given a free phone book.

Well enough ranting.

It is free if you have the time and the patience , :thumbs:

-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

01-17-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)
01-21-2015 = N-400 packet delivered
01/25/2015 = E confirmation / Text received

01/26/2015 = Check cashed .

02/02/2015 = NOA1 received (Priority Date 01/21/2015)
02/09/2015 = Biometrics Letter received .

02/18/2015 = Biometrics

02/20/2015 = In line for interview

04/10/2015 = Interview Letter received .

05/11/2015 =Interview .

05/11/2015 = Passed Interview
07/01/2015 = Oath letter received
07/24/2015 = Oath Cerememony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.