extremerecluse

Beware if you travel alone to the Philippines

144 posts in this topic

I like this thread...nice to know I am not alone on this! First time I visited, I arrived in Manila alone. I was traveling to Davao and had about a 4-5 hour delay between cities so I was at the Manila airport for some time. I didn't get many requests from security as some of you did, but I was certainly lost and confused. For one, I didn't know that my next flight would be at another terminal right away, and I didn't realize there was a free shuttle. Then, I am approached by two men in a minivan that kindly explain where I need to be and take me to the terminal. Of course, now they are asking for $10 USD! Well, I was feeling generous (and alone in a foreign land!) and became a sucker. Then, I get to Davao's airport. I go with the flow just fine, but I am the only 6' tall white man at the luggage carousel. Even though I know how to do this part, another man approaches me insisting to carry my bags. I say sure, and he is asking all these questions about my plans. I tell him my girlfriend should be outside waiting for me. Sure enough, she is there, and he is just following us. She did not know so much about the schemes there, but apparently, they spoke to one another about driving me to my hotel. In short, I was scammed yet another time by an independent "taxi", but hey, I read about it before I came. Still, I had no idea what procedures and transportation were really like until I got the chance to experience it for the two weeks after. In any case, it sure didn't happen to me going home. There were other foreigners that time, and I buddied up with an American and Canadian. They showed me where the shuttle was in Manila, and that is when I felt really duped about the first scenario. Oh well, live and learn I guess. None of this will be happening to me on my next trip. The only people getting easy money from next time will be the sweet beggar kids, and anyone who helps me flag down a taxi. I admit, I was a little disturbed, but I just focused on the awesome time I had with my fiancee and her family!

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

For the foreigners having problems in the PHL, it must be your size that makes you such a target for all these "scams" and nonsense. While I am one of the whitest white guys you'll see, I'm smaller than the average Filipino, so they don't see to pay me no mind. I arrive at the airport, pick up my bags, change my money, go outside and hail a metered cab to the hotel. Not once have I had people hassle me, and rarely does anyone even ask to carry my bags. I think I look like I somehow "belong" in the PHL. Hell, one time at the Mall of Asia, the cab driver asks my wife (who is 10 years younger than me) if I am her little brother? #######?

Edited by BJZags

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Back in October when I traveled to meet my fiance in the Philippines this occurred. I get off the plane around 11:30PM. I go through immigration with no problems. I get my bags. A Filipino I befriended on the plane showed me where to go to exchange money pesos. I exit the terminal and find a security guard at his podium. The guard gets my attention and asks me who is waiting for me. I tell him "my fiance".

No offense, but that's pretty naive to answer that way. For one, he's just a security guard and he wasn't interrogating you. I would have waved at him while smiling and assured him that you are being taken care of and continued walking past the podium. If he insisted or followed behind, I would tell him that your friend is on their way to pick you up. This guard took you for a schmuck and he burned you.

Also, in the Philippines, they don't really have a word for fiancee. You just got off the plane and hadn't even met the girl yet and you are telling this security guard that she's basically your wife, but you don't know her address. He probably got a good laugh out of the whole thing.

Edited by 8TBVBN

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

For the foreigners having problems in the PHL, it must be your size that makes you such a target for all these "scams" and nonsense. While I am one of the whitest white guys you'll see, I'm smaller than the average Filipino, so they don't see to pay me no mind. I arrive at the airport, pick up my bags, change my money, go outside and hail a metered cab to the hotel. Not once have I had people hassle me, and rarely does anyone even ask to carry my bags. I think I look like I somehow "belong" in the PHL. Hell, one time at the Mall of Asia, the cab driver asks my wife (who is 10 years younger than me) if I am her little brother? #######?

Hey BJ, I think appearance is a factor, but I think it's also body language. Just like in Martial Arts, you are suppose to convey a sense of confidence which people can read in your posture, your face, the way you walk.

The only people getting easy money from next time will be the sweet beggar kids, and anyone who helps me flag down a taxi.

NEVER give money to a beggar... those 'SWEET BEGGAR KIDS" are employees and all have handlers.If you feel you MUST give them something, give them food! And that kindly gentleman that flags down your cab..well..he's also looking for a way to relieve you of your wallet!

The moment you get off your plane, your a target and will remain so until you get back on said plane. This isn't KANSAS. DON'T make yourself a victim. LEARN some basic Tagalog BEFORE you come to the P.I. And if your "sweetie" is from the province,she PROBABLY knows less about the ways of Manila than you..which is nothing!

I've lived here for three years and trust me, I've learned most of the 'rules' the hard way. EDUCATE yourself BEFORE you come..seek out those that know..OR plan to become a victim..NO ONE here is going to help you without payment..whether you ask for the help or not..RULE #1

DCF-Manila

10/02/2008 ---- Met

06/04/2010 ---- Married

04/26/2011 ---- Filed I-130

06/03/2011 ---- I-130 approved, notify by e-mail from (DHS/USCIS)

06/13/2011 ---- Received e-mail from Manila IV Correspondence

06/15/2011 ---- Received letter from DHS/USCIS (NOA)

06/28/2011 ---- Sent (fax) the DS-230I & DS-2001

07/05/2011 ---- Schedule for interview date (online)

07/11-12/2011--Medical PASSED

08/01/2011 ---- Interview - (done @9:00am) APPROVED

08/01/2011 ---- CFO (1:30pm)

08/05/2011 ---- VISA IN HAND (4days after interview)

08/12/2011 ---- Flight...

08/12/2011 ---- POE Seattle, WA (arrived @ 8pm)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I understand they've recently removed those "alphabetical" signs at the Terminal 1 waiting area. They have "Bay" numbers now I think.

Ok,I was last there in February. They may have changed things already since then. The other landmarks that I can think of there is a duty free shop, money changer and a car paging booth at the street level before you cross to the other side.

Grace

Timeline

NEVER give money to a beggar... those 'SWEET BEGGAR KIDS" are employees and all have handlers.If you feel you MUST give them something, give them food! And that kindly gentleman that flags down your cab..well..he's also looking for a way to relieve you of your wallet!

The moment you get off your plane, your a target and will remain so until you get back on said plane. This isn't KANSAS. DON'T make yourself a victim. LEARN some basic Tagalog BEFORE you come to the P.I. And if your "sweetie" is from the province,she PROBABLY knows less about the ways of Manila than you..which is nothing!

I've lived here for three years and trust me, I've learned most of the 'rules' the hard way. EDUCATE yourself BEFORE you come..seek out those that know..OR plan to become a victim..NO ONE here is going to help you without payment..whether you ask for the help or not..RULE #1

Giving money to beggars is illegal too in some places here. In the city of Manila, at least, I know it is. I think it must be a city ordinance.

Giving money to beggars is illegal too in some places here. In the city of Manila, at least, I know it is. I think it must be a city ordinance.

Ya..its a fuzzy area.I've never gotten a straight answer on the legalities of giving money to beggars..BUT rest assured..if anyone of authority see's you doing what MIGHT be perceived as illegal, be prepared to pay. RULE #2..The police are NOT your friend! If you are a foreigner you will lose any alternation with a Filipino..Regardless of fault..and you will pay or find yourself somewhere you REALLY REALLY don't want to be!

Sometimes its better to be prepared to be taken advantage of, regardless of right or wrong or PRINCIPAL! I personalty know of white guys that have been stabbed arguing over trike fare!

The hardest thing to convey to new tourist to the P.I. is they operate by very different rules here and ya got to watch your six.(watch your back). Try to be as incognito as possible (especially in Manila and the larger cities).Try to always have a trusted Filipino/a with you where ever you go. And NEVER assume!!!

DCF-Manila

10/02/2008 ---- Met

06/04/2010 ---- Married

sorry ..double post

Edited by Steve&Fe

DCF-Manila

10/02/2008 ---- Met

06/04/2010 ---- Married

Timeline

Ya..its a fuzzy area.I've never gotten a straight answer on the legalities of giving money to beggars..BUT rest assured..if anyone of authority see's you doing what MIGHT be perceived as illegal, be prepared to pay. RULE #2..The police are NOT your friend! If you are a foreigner you will lose any alternation with a Filipino..Regardless of fault..and you will pay or find yourself somewhere you REALLY REALLY don't want to be!

Sometimes its better to be prepared to be taken advantage of, regardless of right or wrong or PRINCIPAL! I personalty know of white guys that have been stabbed arguing over trike fare!

The hardest thing to convey to new tourist to the P.I. is they operate by very different rules here and ya got to watch your six.(watch your back). Try to be as incognito as possible (especially in Manila and the larger cities).Try to always have a trusted Filipino/a with you where ever you go. And NEVER assume!!!

Some recent sound and fury from the police about helping foreign visitors.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/metro/view/20101022-299208/PNP-creates-tourist-police-teams-to-help-foreign-visitors

TROLOLOL.jpg

That's it? :blink:

:lol:

No wait,ok ok, huh face :huh:

Wait wait,hmmm, angry face :angry:

Wait, c'mon, I can do this, sad face :(

:lol::lol:

Ouch, that hurt. Not! :no:

Edited by Vi-Jay

Be Shrewd! Be Astute and be aware who's watching ya!

Filed: Timeline

I wonder what sort of gratuity the Tourist Police will expect for rendering assistance. :lol:

Well, I have never had any problems with the guards at Manila airport. In fact one time i had a 5 hour delay and i was eating alone and they invited me over and it became a party lol. Apparently one of them was a comedian for his second job. Although if you dont use airport taxi you are gonna get ripped a new one. And yeah the trick is always watch your back and ALWAYS act like you know what your doing even if you have no clue.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.