extremerecluse

Beware if you travel alone to the Philippines

144 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Back in October when I traveled to meet my fiance in the Philippines this occurred. I get off the plane around 11:30PM. I go through immigration with no problems. I get my bags. A Filipino I befriended on the plane showed me where to go to exchange money pesos. I exit the terminal and find a security guard at his podium. The guard gets my attention and asks me who is waiting for me. I tell him "my fiance". He asks me what her name is. I tell him. He asks me where she will meet me. I tell him I don't know exactly. He starts to interrogate me. You don't know? Yes. Well do you know her phone number? A: My phone will not work here. Q: You can Get SIM card and load over their. I did as he instructed me. I purchased a SIM Card and load and it did not work after he installed it. More security guards arrived but they were too apprehensive to get involved. My phones battery happened to be dead. The guard instructed me to charge it with the outlet on the wall. I was getting really nervous about this fiasco they were putting me through. The guard then asked me to give him my fiances phone number after the phone was charged enough to work. I showed him the number in my phone memory. He called it and my fiance answered. He asked her where she was and she was 75 feet away waiting outside in the waiting area. The other security guard came to me and asked"What are you going to give to us for helping you? I asked him "What?". Can you give us something? Then I knew what they were out to get from the start. I was too tired to make a stink or complain. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a fresh 500php bill and handed it to them. Plus they kept my SIM Card and Load. The next day I contacted the airport manager and explained what happened through phone and email. I could have easily found my fiance by following the other people out of the terminal, but these corrupt individuals had other ideas in mind. I could not believe what happened as I was resting the following day with my fiance. I am warning all of you who are traveling alone. Find someone on the plane who can walk you through or stay with you until you meet your loved one. The rest of my trip was a pure pleasure.

event.png

event.png

I hate to say it since i am also from the Philippines. That is their modus operandi to make extra money. I went home in November 2010.. and the same situation happened to me.. I used their phone to call my mom who was just outside the waiting area waiting for me.

The good thing is i am also Filipino so i already smell something fishy is going to happen. I did not buy a new simcard but i did use their cellphone till i was able to reach my mom. I gave the guard only 2 $1 bill(LOL),,and he even complained so i said to him whatt???

Go walk the entire building and see if u can find a dollar bill and left with a smile on my face... :lol::no::lol:

Edited by happyblessedme

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

These kinds of things not only happen in the Philippines. It happens in India as well.

USCIS- (77 Days)
I-130 Sent : 04-05-2011
I-130 NOA1 : 04-08-2011
I-130 NOA2 : 06-24-2011

NVC- (29 Days)
NVC Received : 07-25-2011

NVC Case Closed: 08-23-2011
Medical/VFS/Interview
Interview Date Recieved: 09-02-2011
Medical Completed: 09-16-2011
VFS Fees Paid and Documents Submitted: 10-21-2011
Interview: 11-10-2011

Interview Status: Approved
Visa In Hand: 11-10-2011

USA

P.O.E- Chicago, IL: 12-16-11
Recieved Welcome Letter: 01-03-2012
Received Green Card: 01-19-2012
Re-applied for SSN: 01-23-2012
Received SSN: 01-27-2012

Apply for Removal of Conditions: 09-17-13

ROC- (112 Days)

I-751 Sent (CSC): 11-22-13

Check Cashed: 11-27-13

I-751 NOA1: 11-30-13

Biometrics: 12-23-13
Case Status: Approved
Green Card Issued: 3-14-14

Green Card In Hand: 3-20-14

CITIZENSHIP

Apply For N-400: 1-28-15

Check Cashed: 02-5-15

NOA: 02-11-15

Biometrics: 03-2-15

In Line Interview: 06-10-15

Interview: 07-20-15

Interview Status: Approved

Oath Ceremony: 08-20-15

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ok, heres my little story, not as bad as your though.

My fiend and are looking for a taxi from NAIA1 to 3, and we walk up to the white cab, a kid who works there opens the door to the cab and asks for a tip, I try give him 50 peso, we had no luggage, there was no line, no waiting, he just opened the door.

The kid said its not enough, he wanted 200 peso, I took my 50 back and said fine and got in the cab. My male friend (1st time in PH), embarrassed gave him the 200 pesos.

Thats like a $4 or $5 tip just to open the door.

Hehhee, I laugh now, but at the time, I was a little mad about the kids attitude. But I never did anything about it.

“The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.”

Filed: Timeline

Ok, heres my little story, not as bad as your though.

My fiend and are looking for a taxi from NAIA1 to 3, and we walk up to the white cab, a kid who works there opens the door to the cab and asks for a tip, I try give him 50 peso, we had no luggage, there was no line, no waiting, he just opened the door.

The kid said its not enough, he wanted 200 peso, I took my 50 back and said fine and got in the cab. My male friend (1st time in PH), embarrassed gave him the 200 pesos.

Thats like a $4 or $5 tip just to open the door.

Hehhee, I laugh now, but at the time, I was a little mad about the kids attitude. But I never did anything about it.

I took the wife to a Chinese restaurant off a side street near Roxas Blvd. Coming out, a young man was kind enough to flag a taxi for us. He looked like he expected something, so I gave him the wife's leftovers from dinner. Boy was she pissed! :lol:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance visited me last year[march 2010]at 10;30pm via japan airlines,so i waited there inside the greeters area at the 2nd floor,i was at the left side and my kidz were on the right side[alphabetical] i waited till 11pm stil didnt see him so i was nervous,then my phone rang and a lady talked to me asking me about my name,so i was so confused who was this lady? then she told me my fiance was scared to go outside if im not there bcoz i told him about aiports here arent safe,[sorry to tell it but thats the truth]...then i said tell him to go outside coz im here waiting for him,my fiance tolds me that lady was selling simcard inside the airport,but then another call from a man used to be a policeman helping my fiance to find a taxi but he said im waiting for him,its hard for me to understnad what that man was tellin me bcoz he speaks bisayan language[im pure tagalog]so i was confused again why theres many people who interacting between me and my fiancee in his arrival?!,,,but im glad that my fiance listened to what i said before his flights that dont trust strangers just wait for me and i will be there.when i saw him,,, my brother went inside the greeters area and tolds him im waiting outside,cant get through coz theres many many people that night!

Timeline

Oh well, I really feel sorry about this bad experience happened to my fiance OP (USC)..So sad that most of the people here in the Philippines are taking advantage especially to foreigners.. actually It happens twice,in the airport then in the phil.postal service.it's been 7 weeks now since he send me a priority mail small box containing important stuffs... Now, even me a filipina, hate those BUWAYA in my country!!!

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Back in October when I traveled to meet my fiance in the Philippines this occurred. I get off the plane around 11:30PM. I go through immigration with no problems. I get my bags. A Filipino I befriended on the plane showed me where to go to exchange money pesos. I exit the terminal and find a security guard at his podium. The guard gets my attention and asks me who is waiting for me. I tell him "my fiance". He asks me what her name is. I tell him. He asks me where she will meet me. I tell him I don't know exactly. He starts to interrogate me. You don't know? Yes. Well do you know her phone number? A: My phone will not work here. Q: You can Get SIM card and load over their. I did as he instructed me. I purchased a SIM Card and load and it did not work after he installed it. More security guards arrived but they were too apprehensive to get involved. My phones battery happened to be dead. The guard instructed me to charge it with the outlet on the wall. I was getting really nervous about this fiasco they were putting me through. The guard then asked me to give him my fiances phone number after the phone was charged enough to work. I showed him the number in my phone memory. He called it and my fiance answered. He asked her where she was and she was 75 feet away waiting outside in the waiting area. The other security guard came to me and asked"What are you going to give to us for helping you? I asked him "What?". Can you give us something? Then I knew what they were out to get from the start. I was too tired to make a stink or complain. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a fresh 500php bill and handed it to them. Plus they kept my SIM Card and Load. The next day I contacted the airport manager and explained what happened through phone and email. I could have easily found my fiance by following the other people out of the terminal, but these corrupt individuals had other ideas in mind. I could not believe what happened as I was resting the following day with my fiance. I am warning all of you who are traveling alone. Find someone on the plane who can walk you through or stay with you until you meet your loved one. The rest of my trip was a pure pleasure.

Something similiar happened my first trip. But after living there for 3 months and then returning for a third trip, I just ignored the guard when he ask me what I was waiting for. I just told him don't worry about me, I know what I'm doing and they never pushed the issue.

Once when my fiancee and I visited Camiguin Island and when the ferry arrived all the filippinos rushed the boat to grab the bags hoping to get big tips.. I just held on to the bag and gave dirty looks and when they insisted on carrying it and called me cheap in bisayan, my finacee screamed at them "heck yeah he's thrifty, why do you think he has money"

Staying in Mindanao I very rarely had any issues like I did in Manila. In fact everything in Mindanao is cheaper and people there much more friendlier than I found in other places. I intend to Live in Davao in several years hopefully.

Visa K1 Journey

02-21-10 met online

04-13-10 visit for 21 days in Philippines

08-14-10 visit for 3 months in Philippines

11-01-10 filed K-1

11-06-10 NOA1 received

04-19-11 RFE received

04-21-11 RFE returned

05-04-11 NOA2

05-11-11 Received at NVC, case number assigned

05-13-11 Left NVC to the USEM

06-01-11 Set up interview with embassy

07-21-11 Approved!... with an additional document she needs to aquire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBHEKx6afFw

If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time

I have many stories also . First when at the Manila airport - when using the Bathroom (CR) --an attendant brought me some water to wash my hands (since they were no running water ) and asked for 500 pesos .I gived him 100 pesos . Secondly , I was in Cebu and was at Kawasan falls (tourist site ) .A guy followed us along the path to the falls and when we came out --he said I owed him 300 pesos as his tour guide .I did not ask for one and he did not provide any service . He insisted and only beacuse I was with my fiancee --I gived him 50 pesos. He was mad . Also while eating at the resort at the falls --they charged me a ''sitting fee '' of 500 pesos. I just sat for about 10m mins and ate at the site . It is ridicoulous --they think we make money --lol . Many times I objected to giving in to them , but only because I was with my fiancee --I did not wish to create a stink . I am much wiser now . :thumbs: but as many said beware .

-400 CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE

01-17-2015 = N-400 packet sent (to P.O. Box Dallas via USPS Priority Mail)
01-21-2015 = N-400 packet delivered
01/25/2015 = E confirmation / Text received

01/26/2015 = Check cashed .

02/02/2015 = NOA1 received (Priority Date 01/21/2015)
02/09/2015 = Biometrics Letter received .

02/18/2015 = Biometrics

02/20/2015 = In line for interview

04/10/2015 = Interview Letter received .

05/11/2015 =Interview .

05/11/2015 = Passed Interview
07/01/2015 = Oath letter received
07/24/2015 = Oath Cerememony

Timeline

I took the wife to a Chinese restaurant off a side street near Roxas Blvd. Coming out, a young man was kind enough to flag a taxi for us. He looked like he expected something, so I gave him the wife's leftovers from dinner. Boy was she pissed! :lol:

These stories a great, Im beginning to like this topic.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Glad that bad people in airport not in Indonesian airport only.

*K1 JOURNEY

2010-07-16****K1 Petition Sent Out

2010-08-08****NOA1 Hardcopy

2011-05-20****POE LAX

2011-06-20****Wedding

AOS:

2011-08-18****AOS Package Sent.

2011-09-29****Biometric Appt. Dover, Delaware

2011-10-18****RFE reply

2011-12-13****GC in hand

AP:

2011-10-31****File AP

2011-11-08****NOA1

2011-11-14****AP Approved

ROC:

2013-10-22***Package Sent

2013-11-03***Check Cashed

2013-11-05***NOA1
2013-11-25***Biometrics

2014-02-06***GC in hand dancin5hr.gif

5b904a1af6.gif

I have many stories also . First when at the Manila airport - when using the Bathroom (CR) --an attendant brought me some water to wash my hands (since they were no running water ) and asked for 500 pesos .I gived him 100 pesos . Secondly , I was in Cebu and was at Kawasan falls (tourist site ) .A guy followed us along the path to the falls and when we came out --he said I owed him 300 pesos as his tour guide .I did not ask for one and he did not provide any service . He insisted and only beacuse I was with my fiancee --I gived him 50 pesos. He was mad . Also while eating at the resort at the falls --they charged me a ''sitting fee '' of 500 pesos. I just sat for about 10m mins and ate at the site . It is ridicoulous --they think we make money --lol . Many times I objected to giving in to them , but only because I was with my fiancee --I did not wish to create a stink . I am much wiser now . :thumbs: but as many said beware .

Wow...

All that needed to be done was for your fiancee to complain or fuss at them. They only ever try things like that when I'm alone. People giving in and giving them any money at all is what keeps them coming back for more. And if you fell for the "sitting fee", well....

BTW, this entire thread would fit better in the Philippines regional forum since is has absolutely nothing to IR-1/CR1.

11/15/10: I-130 package FEDEX'd to Chicago Lockbox

11/15/10: NSO Marriage and Birth Certificates available for pick-up at NSO

11/17/10: Receipt Date of I-130 petition at Chicago Lockbox

11/19/10: NSO Marriage Cert and Birth Cert (4x each) received by Gina in Philippines

11/19/10: CRBA package couriered to US Embassy in Manila

11/22/10: CRBA package/application including NSO BC & MC received by embassy

11/22/10: NOA1 Date

11/24/10: Electronic notification of receipt received from Chicago Lockbox

11/24/10: Embassy scheduled CRBA appointment for 12/21/2010

11/26/20: Check cashed

11/27/10: NOA1 Hardcopy received via USPS

12/21/10: Interview/Personal appearance at Manila Embassy for CRBA **approved**

01/03/11: CRBA and US Passport for daughter received by Gina via FEDEX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

These kinds of things not only happen in the Philippines. It happens in India as well.

Ha Ha Ha I agree... When ever i go to India i have 100 rupee($2) note ready for the Corrupt Official Customs Beggars on the airport...

USCIS Process - CR-1 Visa

Service Center :: California Service Center

Consulate :: MUMBAI - INDIA

08 / 05 / 2010 :: I-130 Sent

02 / 10 / 2011 :: NOA-2 - TXT and Email ***After Senator Help Was Requested

02 / 19 / 2011 :: Hardcopy Received in Snail Mail

Total 185 Days For Approval

NVC Process - 19 Days to Reach NVC

02 / 28 / 2011 :: NVC Receive

05 / 16 / 2011 :: Sign in Failed

05 / 17 / 2011 :: NVC Case Complete

Total 78 Days for Completion At NVC

Medical / Interview / POE

05 / 26 / 2011 :: Interview Date Received - Packet 4

06 / 07 / 2011 :: Medical - DONE

07 / 05 / 2011 :: VFS Fees Paid

07 / 18 / 2011 :: Interview - APPROVED

07 / 18 / 2011 :: Picked up Visa in the Evening

07 / 23 / 2011 :: P.O.E - Washington DC - Dulles Airport

WIFE IS FINALLY HERE!!!

Timeline

I know its only 20 peso's, but heres the story - 126px-PhilippinePesoCoins.jpg

We rented a little motorcycle "motor" they call it. Going to the mall Im driving up looking to park next to all the other "motors" and the parking attendant came out, the attendant and my finace Lisa jibber jabbered back and forth and then she told me where to park. He said 20 peso, I gave her 20 peso, she gave it to him and he gave her a little ticket and dissapeared.

As we walked into the mall I was thinking something up with the parking. I had Lisa ask the security about the parking, she showed them the ticket. Find out, there is no parking attendent. We had a good laugh. My sweet filipina not so street smart, but thats one of the many reasons I love her. I should have saved the ticket and an attached a notorised story for proof of relationship. just joke

Hey, what kind of story did you expect for 20 pesos?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.