UmmSqueakster

Henia, how's Algeria?

402 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

I didn't learn it from a book...I learned it from an native Arabic speaker.

I was talking literally..it means daughter of a dog and I know it's not very nice...I never claimed to be nice.

daughter of a dog...that's what bint el kalb means.

No it doesn't. Kalb means dog, but when you use it in that sentence, it takes on a complete other meaning. (F)

Ok but you need to understand that there is no literal meaning for that phrase. I am only telling you for your own sake. Don't use that phrase unless you want trouble. If you said "Bint il Kalb" to any arab they would open a can of whoop a$$ on ya.

I am a native arabic speaker.....

Sarah and JP I don't know if you saw where I blurted out your secrets because this thread is moving so fast. :lol:

darnit! I missed it! Did you know sarab has garlic cloves in her purse instead of tic tacs? She makes cake frosting from it!

i plan on learning arabic when samir gets here. he said the frist thing he is going to do is teach me the alphabet :)

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Yes, I know...I was just telling you that I learned it from a native Arabic speaker to let you know that I know what it means literally and figuratively and what not.

I was talking literally..it means daughter of a dog and I know it's not very nice...I never claimed to be nice.

No it doesn't. Kalb means dog, but when you use it in that sentence, it takes on a complete other meaning. (F)

Ok but you need to understand that there is no literal meaning for that phrase. I am only telling you for your own sake. Don't use that phrase unless you want trouble. If you said "Bint il Kalb" to any arab they would open a can of whoop a$$ on ya.

Sarah and JP I don't know if you saw where I blurted out your secrets because this thread is moving so fast. :lol:

darnit! I missed it! Did you know sarab has garlic cloves in her purse instead of tic tacs? She makes cake frosting from it!

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I'm always up for a good round of Hare Krishna...and every time I see the member "Rahma" I think of that song...

Hmmm, haven't heard of that song. rahma is my husband's nickname for me - Mercy in arabic. I wonder what it means for them?

My friend went during college to many different religious celebrations (for world religions class) and one of the best things she learned was Hare Krishna. I don't know their spelling of Rama but it goes like this:

Hare Krishna

Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna

Hare Hare

Hare Rama

Rama Rama

Krishna Krishna

Hare Hare

It's a very joyful song, and since we don't know the meaning, it's probably not cool to be singing it, but we couldn't help ourselves!!

:lol: Ummm you may want to know that it's a song about hindu deities Krishna and Ram, I believe Rama is the same as Ram. (If Gupt comes along he can correct this if I am wrong)

from http://www.krishna.com/main.php?id=590

"Hare Krishna" refers to the Sanskrit prayer we sing (the maha-mantra, or "great chant for deliverance") and to our Society. Since we are often seen chanting the Hare Krishna mantra, we are referred to as the "Hare Krishnas."

The Hare Krishna mantra is composed of three Sanskrit words: Krishna, Rama and Hare. Krishna and Rama are both names for God. Krishna means "the all-attractive," and Rama means "the supreme pleasure." We can approach the all-attractive Supreme Lord, and experience the supreme pleasure of His company, through the help of His devotional or pleasure energy, Hare.

The maha-mantra is a petition: "O Lord, O energy of the Lord, please engage me in Your loving service." By chanting Hare Krishna we become purified of material conditioning and become reinstated in our natural, eternal position as God's servants.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

i plan on learning arabic when samir gets here. he said the frist thing he is going to do is teach me the alphabet :)

You could have learned that here! We had a thread going at one point...I don't know where it went :lol:

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Heheheheheheeeeeeeee...oh Shannon you do make me laugh...you've showcased so much of your "class" today on the forum. I could only dream to be as classy as you my dear.

And you do?

moody has no class at all. NONE

i have more class in my little finger than you do in your whole body, girl ... learn

why dont you do the world a favor and pull your lip over you head and swallow yourself :yes:

glitter_maker_12_28_2006_10_08_52_29516.gif

us3.jpg

Copy_of_Algeriaflagsamir.gif

usaflagshannon.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
Yes, I know...I was just telling you that I learned it from a native Arabic speaker to let you know that I know what it means literally and figuratively and what not.

I will put these to you very bluntly since you don't seem to understand. There is no literal meaning for "bint il kalb" when you use those words in that format it takes on a complete different meaning...it doesn't mean daugher of a dog. :no: Again, I am only letting you know for your own sake. (F)

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Heheheheheheeeeeeeee...oh Shannon you do make me laugh...you've showcased so much of your "class" today on the forum. I could only dream to be as classy as you my dear.

And you do?

moody has no class at all. NONE

i have more class in my little finger than you do in your whole body, girl ... learn

why dont you do the world a favor and pull your lip over you head and swallow yourself :yes:

I would pay to see that!

I'm always up for a good round of Hare Krishna...and every time I see the member "Rahma" I think of that song...

Hmmm, haven't heard of that song. rahma is my husband's nickname for me - Mercy in arabic. I wonder what it means for them?

My friend went during college to many different religious celebrations (for world religions class) and one of the best things she learned was Hare Krishna. I don't know their spelling of Rama but it goes like this:

Hare Krishna

Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna

Hare Hare

Hare Rama

Rama Rama

Krishna Krishna

Hare Hare

It's a very joyful song, and since we don't know the meaning, it's probably not cool to be singing it, but we couldn't help ourselves!!

:lol: Ummm you may want to know that it's a song about hindu deities Krishna and Ram, I believe Rama is the same as Ram. (If Gupt comes along he can correct this if I am wrong)

"Hare Krishna" refers to the Sanskrit prayer we sing (the maha-mantra, or "great chant for deliverance") and to our Society. Since we are often seen chanting the Hare Krishna mantra, we are referred to as the "Hare Krishnas."

The Hare Krishna mantra is composed of three Sanskrit words: Krishna, Rama and Hare. Krishna and Rama are both names for God. Krishna means "the all-attractive," and Rama means "the supreme pleasure." We can approach the all-attractive Supreme Lord, and experience the supreme pleasure of His company, through the help of His devotional or pleasure energy, Hare.

The maha-mantra is a petition: "O Lord, O energy of the Lord, please engage me in Your loving service." By chanting Hare Krishna we become purified of material conditioning and become reinstated in our natural, eternal position as God's servants.

The hare krishnas are a fukcing cult. How they got to be so popular in the West I have no idea.

Rama is a god. The word for mercy in Hindi/Urdu is raham.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

Hare Krishna

Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna

Hare Hare

Hare Rama

Rama Rama

Krishna Krishna

Hare Hare

The hare krishnas are a fukcing cult. How they got to be so popular in the West I have no idea.

I know! Sujeet wonders the same.

Ok since I'm an idiot and apparently my husband didn't teach me proper Arabic...

When new to any language, you ought to be more open to people correcting you :P

I went to a hare krishna temple down near DC once, the whole thing reeks of massive amounts of $$ and the compound is full of people who I swear look (and smell) toked up. It's a cult, a massive money laundering scheme, wrapped in religious gear.

If they see this post, Ewok is gonna get sued LOL.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

Ok since I'm an idiot and apparently my husband didn't teach me proper Arabic...

When new to any language, you ought to be more open to people correcting you :P

I went to a hare krishna temple down near DC once, the whole thing reeks of massive amounts of $$ and the compound is full of people who I swear look (and smell) toked up. It's a cult, a massive money laundering scheme, wrapped in religious gear.

If they see this post, Ewok is gonna get sued LOL.

hmmm :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.