Westlink

F1 case complete and waiting for visa # availability

4,967 posts in this topic

If the per country limit will go to 15%, we are all screwd up. We won't see 2006 PD in F1 for the next couple of years as a lot more visa numbers will go to Mexico an Philipines. This change will only benefit countries that 7% per country limit is reached every year. If there is no change in visa numbers available for immigrants, more numbers from 226 000 will be taken from other countries share. So it means faster process for oversubscribed countries and slower for all others. That is so sad that they treat us like this. Hopefully the Senate will vote against it as it is hurtfull for most of us!!!

We have to run the petition that government has to cancel the quota for the unmarried children over 21 of US citizens from the ‘rest of the world’ at all and make them like immediate relatives! Why does it make so big difference the son/daughter is 21 or 25, or 31? Or at least to increase the quota significantly. It doesn’t make any logical sense that now F1 category quota is significantly less than the quota for relatives of permanent residents. 23,400 versus 114,200. Talking about H.R. 3012 bill, I have to admit that this bill better would eliminate DV and per-country employment visa quotas numbers to increase the F-1 of “rest of the world” quota numbers..

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I'm not sure about the exact consequences of the law, but it seems it will take a couple to a few years to make the transition. So whatever happens, I don't think it will affect us, at least not for some time. Don't get discouraged.

F1 Discussion | F1 Poll | F1 Watch List

F1 ~ PD: 08SEP06 ~ Current! cool.png ~ AOS ~ Green Card!

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks you NevermindVZ, it was my brother interview today he pass the interview thy took his passport and told him one week time he will get his visa.

Remember i had posted that i was interview in April 2011 ,and the immigration officer told me that because of the retrogression my pd has gone back to May 2004 so they could not issue me a visa. I received a email from Jamaica embassy this morning that i should come in December 29, 2011 with my passport and that i had to re- due my police certificate because it has expired. My medical will expire in February 2012, so i only hope they will issue me my visa before it expire.

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Thanks you NevermindVZ, it was my brother interview today he pass the interview thy took his passport and told him one week time he will get his visa.

Remember i had posted that i was interview in April 2011 ,and the immigration officer told me that because of the retrogression my pd has gone back to May 2004 so they could not issue me a visa. I received a email from Jamaica embassy this morning that i should come in December 29, 2011 with my passport and that i had to re- due my police certificate because it has expired. My medical will expire in February 2012, so i only hope they will issue me my visa before it expire.

Congratulations.....:)

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline

If anyone is receiving interviews, please let us know.

These are the members with the most nearby Priority Dates:

ANSZE-------------------07APR05

CONCERNEDPLSHLP---------..APR05

ALENAJAFZADEH-----------..MAY05

MR. LONGAWAITING1-------30JUN05

LONERGURL---------------..AUG05

CAST2006----------------..AUG05

Anyone recevied interview call in jan/12 month...?????.

Dec. 1 (Bloomberg) -- Congress works. Or so it seemed for a day this week when the House of Representatives voted 389 to 15 to ease restrictions on the entry of highly skilled immigrants to the U.S.

The Fairness for High-Skilled Immigrants Act of 2011 was sponsored by conservative Republicans and liberal Democrats alike. It avoided the political pitfalls of comprehensive immigration reform by focusing instead on a very narrow yet necessary change, eliminating country-specific caps on immigrant engineers, computer scientists and the like. In a measure of its broad support, the legislation is backed by technology companies, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and pro-immigration groups.

Under current law, immigrants from an individual country can claim no more than 7 percent of the 140,000 employment green cards issued annually. As Representative Steve Cohen, Democrat of Tennessee, pointed out, that cap applies equally to Iceland (population 300,000) and India (1.2 billion and rising). Removing the caps will enable U.S. companies to retain more skilled immigrants from countries such as India and China, which have a surfeit of scientists and technologists eager to work in the U.S.

In addition, the legislation would raise the country limit for family green cards from 7 percent of a total of 226,000 to 15 percent, thereby easing backlogs for immigrants from Mexico and the Philippines, in particular, and helping, perhaps, to strengthen families.

What the legislation will not do is increase the total number of green cards dispensed. That's a shame because doing so could help boost a still-sagging U.S. economy. Only 15 percent of visas are granted for economic reasons, a policy that undermines U.S. companies competing in a global talent pool. Foreign students account for the majority of computer science and engineering doctorates earned from U.S. institutions. (In 2006, more than 4,500 foreign students earned engineering Ph.D.'s in the U.S., almost two-thirds of the total.) Yet there's no policy to allow, let alone encourage, them to stay in the U.S. after graduation.

Add in that immigrants have a much higher propensity to create new businesses -- a Duke University study found that they helped found more than a quarter of the technology and engineering companies established in the U.S. between 1995 and 2005 -- and one is left wondering why this simple visa reform didn't take place eons ago.

The answer, of course, is politics. Republican presidential candidates are busy competing to make the most nativist appeals for votes. After the House passed its legislation on Nov. 29, Senator Charles Grassley of Iowa, host of the upcoming caucuses, promptly placed a hold on the bill, which is expected to have broad support from his Senate colleagues.

The 112th Congress has made little progress of any sort and none at all on immigration. There is no reason a bill that passed the House by an overwhelming margin should be stymied in the Senate. For the health of the U.S. economy -- and perhaps for the health of Congress itself -- this eminently passable, aggressively unobjectionable, bipartisan legislation should be approved quickly..

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/12/01/bloomberg_articlesLVHXZQ0YHQ0X.DTL#ixzz1fRPs7JOY

Filed: Timeline

I emailed NVC a week ago, here is their reply:

Unfortunately, we are unable to predict when this petition will be eligible for further processing. The petition is currently not eligible for further processing due to numerical limitations on immigrant visa issuance prescribed by law.

The petition will be retained at the NVC until an immigrant visa becomes available. The petitioner, principal applicant, or attorney of record will be notified when this petition is eligible for further processing. The principal applicant should not make any firm plans such as disposing of property, giving up jobs, or making travel arrangements at this time. For additional information, please review the explanation of numerical limitations on immigrant visa issuance below.

EXPLANATION OF NUMERICAL LIMITATIONS ON IMMIGRANT VISA ISSUANCE:

Immigrant visa processing is governed by the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) of 1952, as amended, which controls priority dates and the number of immigrant visas that can be issued under certain preference categories. To establish which petitions are current and ready for processing, the Department of State issues a monthly publication called the Visa Bulletin.

The Visa Bulletin provides a list of cut-off dates that are used to ensure the number of immigrant visas issued each year does not exceed the legal limit established in the INA. Cut-off dates are categorized by foreign state of chargeability and preference category. Only a petition with a priority date that is earlier than the cut-off date is eligible for a visa number and further processing.

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I emailed NVC a week ago, here is their reply:

Unfortunately, we are unable to predict when this petition will be eligible for further processing. The petition is currently not eligible for further processing due to numerical limitations on immigrant visa issuance prescribed by law.

The petition will be retained at the NVC until an immigrant visa becomes available. The petitioner, principal applicant, or attorney of record will be notified when this petition is eligible for further processing. The principal applicant should not make any firm plans such as disposing of property, giving up jobs, or making travel arrangements at this time. For additional information, please review the explanation of numerical limitations on immigrant visa issuance below.

EXPLANATION OF NUMERICAL LIMITATIONS ON IMMIGRANT VISA ISSUANCE:

Immigrant visa processing is governed by the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) of 1952, as amended, which controls priority dates and the number of immigrant visas that can be issued under certain preference categories. To establish which petitions are current and ready for processing, the Department of State issues a monthly publication called the Visa Bulletin.

The Visa Bulletin provides a list of cut-off dates that are used to ensure the number of immigrant visas issued each year does not exceed the legal limit established in the INA. Cut-off dates are categorized by foreign state of chargeability and preference category. Only a petition with a priority date that is earlier than the cut-off date is eligible for a visa number and further processing.

I think this is a machine generated reply if you emailed them. A representative from immigration will reply to your email after few days.

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi Junior

I just think that the issue of unemployment in America has caused the delay of visas. The visa processing is just at September 2004 so I am watching what is going to happen next year.

Natalie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.