Captain Oates

The cricket Test

96 posts in this topic

Will the Global Mod pass the cricket/baseball test ?

Actually I think the Americans have found the answer - have a world series in a sport that nobody else plays and therefore nobody can support a foreign team !

American Exceptionalism and genius solves intractable problems yet again !

Baseball is played in about as many countries as play cricket. Look at listof birth places of any MLB team.

:( okay no one told me they were going to fly! I would have watched the wedding just to see the Hurricane and Spitfire in flight.

They did that for the Queen's Jubilee when I still lived in London. It was awesome.

90day.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Baseball is played in about as many countries as play cricket. Look at listof birth places of any MLB team.

They did that for the Queen's Jubilee when I still lived in London. It was awesome.

But not soccer (football)

Most of the places that play baseball are little tin pot places like Panama

Soccer is played in Russia and Brazil and Germany and Argentina and France and Spain and Italy and Australia and just about everywhere

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

But not soccer (football)

Most of the places that play baseball are little tin pot places like Panama

Soccer is played in Russia and Brazil and Germany and Argentina and France and Spain and Italy and Australia and just about everywhere

I think the Japanese take baseball more seriously then Americans (and probably have better players too)

I always support the USA at soccer in the world cup - it would be wonderful if they were engaged at a high level in the biggest world sport after fishing and puking on curry. They have a good soccer team with a lot of spirit and as yet unrefined skill. Perhaps Brazil and the world cup will give it a boost

If England was playing the US for the world cup you would cheer for the US?

It's ironic that soccer is a girls sport here in the USA but when I played baseball at school in England it was known as 'rounders' and only girls could play it after age 11. So I had to retire at age 11 and go on to rugby or soccer (football)

Because most men choose football over soccer. Soccer is female friendly. ;)

Edited by _Simpson_

Timeline

I think the Japanese take baseball more seriously then Americans (and probably have better players too)

Can't see the Japanese ever being a big rugby nation - but all my cars and bikes are Japanese

EnglandRugbyKitHA_468x334.jpg

moresheep400100.jpg

Margaret Thatcher's Minister Norman Tebbitt introduced the 'cricket test' which said that if a British born Pakistani supported Pakistan against England, then they had not become assimilated into British Society

Today I was watching the Royal Wedding and a flight consisting of an AVRO Lancaster and a Supermarine Spitfire and a Hawker Hurricane flew up the Mall (Mall as in Pal - not MORL)

The BBC had a commentator of South Asian appearance who said they were 'World war 2 jets'

Unfortunately, BBC has quite a few correspondents who fail to research what they are presenting (not all of them desi); you try complaining about their lack of research (especially on a forum) and your comment is 99% likely to be removed (I've had this happen more than once--though I got through recently with a comment that "breaking house rules" is oft coverup of having their own lack of research exposed)
I reached for my aspirin and nearly fainted with indignation

That guy failed the 'cricket test' miserably

Poor old Blighty - the country really has gone to the dogs

And here, even worse--as many of the media correspondents (especially Katie Couric, Matt Lauer, ...) are even more ignorant than the EBCD you described, and get paid in one year probably what the EBCD would earn over his total career.

Because most men choose football over soccer. Soccer is female friendly. ;)

:bonk: If you've ever seen Milwall Lions (or teams of Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Italy, ...) play, you would not make such a comment

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

Unfortunately, BBC has quite a few correspondents who fail to research what they are presenting (not all of them desi); you try complaining about their lack of research (especially on a forum) and your comment is 99% likely to be removed (I've had this happen more than once--though I got through recently with a comment that "breaking house rules" is oft coverup of having their own lack of research exposed)

And here, even worse--as many of the media correspondents (especially Katie Couric, Matt Lauer, ...) are even more ignorant than the EBCD you described, and get paid in one year probably what the EBCD would earn over his total career.

:bonk: If you've ever seen Milwall Lions (or teams of Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Italy, ...) play, you would not make such a comment

Why would a post be removed that refers to what a UK government Minister said about the 'cricket test' ?

Isn't that taking political correctness a bit far - especially as I am merely referring to what every Brit over the age of 40 knows about as a talking point on TV radio and the press

I referred to a person's understanding of an unfamiliar country in the same way as I might refer to American baseball as 'rounders' which is the English word for the game. The bit I was shocked about is that any man living in Britain would refer to a Spitfire as a 'word war 2 jet', and therefore that the age when every schoolboy knew battle of Britain planes has now passed to an age where the difference between a propeller plane and a jet isn't known by a BBC commentator because his background is so different

It is like me getting a job on US TV and referring to a police officer as 'the local bobby'

I don't care what color the guy is or where he came from - but he should have familiarity with the culture there if he is going to be a BBC commentator

What is wrong with saying that ?

moresheep400100.jpg

We have Ichiro! They don't make better players than him! Seattle went on a slide after Sweet Lou left us though...

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Actually I think the Americans have found the answer - have a world series in a sport that nobody else plays and therefore nobody can support a foreign team !
The Toronto Blue Jays are in, uh, Canadia, or extremely northern North Dakota, or some such, si man... unless by "Americans" you mean "all Colonists north of the Rio Grande," verily man, wot. Please help us oot by clarifying, eh man, wot.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

The Toronto Blue Jays are in, uh, Canadia, or extremely northern North Dakota, or some such, si man... unless by "Americans" you mean "all Colonists north of the Rio Grande," verily man, wot. Please help us oot by clarifying, eh man, wot.

Yeah I tend the short cut and instead of saying 'U.S.icans' I say 'Americans'

Thinking a bit more about 'second world war jets' I have decided that it is simply my life experience passing to a new generation who were either not born in the UK or were born into a separate culture within the UK and who's life experience is simply different. The natives are shrinking as a percentage of the population and will die out one day to be replaced by an entirely new population with different ways and culture.

For instance, imagine a Pakistani woman living in Bradford who has been in the UK for 30 years and does not speak one word of English - what would she make of the Royal Wedding ? All these white people in this palace - she must feel ZERO connection to all that stuff.

Yet she is the future with her 12 children, and all these rich white rulers of German origin with their Aston Martins and designer dresses and 1.2 children per woman are going to be the past.

Heck it must be like a USian living in Texas with a black president and an ever expanding Hispanic population locally - it just takes a bit of getting used to that's all. If the populations were actually interested in each other's cultures then it would be fine - but they don't seem to be and so each population experiences a fragmented society.

Nobody is 'going home' so the ONLY fix is integration. Easier said than done and easier (one would imagine) between separate American christian populations US/Mexico than a Pakistani Muslim and a Yorkshire descendant of the Vikings

The 'cricket test' or it's equivalent will be more and more an issue in the future and already there is controversy because of Mexican history being taught in US schools.

What is the answer ? Convert totally to being a USian in all its cultural ways, or preserve the Italian/Polish/Mexican/etc culture even at the cost of dividing society and making populations different ?

Because if its size, the US has always allowed its Sicilian/Polish etc populations to do their own thing without much problem - but the UK is small and crowded and when your next door neighbour thinks it's ok to cut a sheep's throat in the back garden or beat his daughter because she has breached the honour code, some adverse reaction is natural

My best bet is just to watch it all happen and try not to disapprove - much more relaxing

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

I think you putting way too much cultural explanation into what must have been a moment of broadcaster stupidity - I'm sure Cat Deely was just as likely to make the same mistake

Yes I agree it was a trivial thing - but it was just so symbolic of the difference between

a culture where every schoolboy could tell you the designer's name and armament and stall speed of a spitfire and now - when nobody can tell one from an airbus

I suppose it was the same for the Saxons in England when the Danes arrived, bringing all those crazy red-heads with them.

Or the Dutch in New Amsterdam when the English arrived and re-named it New York.

We will hear more from Trump when it is next renamed to 'Ciudad del Norte'

moresheep400100.jpg

Yes I agree it was a trivial thing - but it was just so symbolic of the difference between

a culture where every schoolboy could tell you the designer's name and armament and stall speed of a spitfire and now - when nobody can tell one from an airbus

I suppose it was the same for the Saxons in England when the Danes arrived, bringing all those crazy red-heads with them.

Or the Dutch in New Amsterdam when the English arrived and re-named it New York.

We will hear more from Trump when it is next renamed to 'Ciudad del Norte'

Your explanation for the fact that youngsters don't know a spitfire from an airbus is because they are all descendants of pakis who don't care about the history? That seems just a tad Daily Mail to me. Those nasty immigrants you fear made up 1.3% of the population in 2001, and even allowing for 12 births per every couple of pakis, that doesn't equal squat in 2011.

Ethnic groupsort_none.gif Populationsort_none.gif Proportion of total UK populationsort_none.gif

White 54,153,898 92.1%

Mixed race 677,117 1.2%

Indian 1,053,411 1.8%

Pakistani 747,285 1.3%

Bangladeshi 283,063 0.5%

Other Asian (non-Chinese) 247,644 0.4%

Black Caribbean 565,876 1.0%

Black African 485,277 0.8%

Black (others) 97,585 0.2%

Chinese 247,403 0.4%

Other 230,615 0.4%

Colombian 247,403 0.4%

What a threat they pose eh?

Your explanation for the inability of British kids to identify planes must lie elsewhere. Surely the more sensible explanation is that the kids today have never seen one?

Edited by The Truth™

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .