Captain Oates

The cricket Test

96 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Margaret Thatcher's Minister Norman Tebbitt introduced the 'cricket test' which said that if a British born Pakistani supported Pakistan against England, then they had not become assimilated into British Society

Today I was watching the Royal Wedding and a flight consisting of an AVRO Lancaster and a Supermarine Spitfire and a Hawker Hurricane flew up the Mall (Mall as in Pal - not MORL)

The BBC had a commentator of South Asian appearance who said they were 'World war 2 jets'

I reached for my aspirin and nearly fainted with indignation

That guy failed the 'cricket test' miserably

Poor old Blighty - the country really has gone to the dogs

moresheep400100.jpg

Margaret Thatcher's Minister Norman Tebbitt introduced the 'cricket test' which said that if a British born Pakistani supported Pakistan against England, then they had not become assimilated into British Society

Today I was watching the Royal Wedding and a flight consisting of an AVRO Lancaster and a Supermarine Spitfire and a Hawker Hurricane flew up the Mall (Mall as in Pal - not MORL)

The BBC had a commentator of South Asian appearance who said they were 'World war 2 jets'

You watched the royal wedding??? I am soooooooooo glad all that nonsense is over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i thought this thread was gonna be about our global mod.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

i thought this thread was gonna be about our global mod.

Will the Global Mod pass the cricket/baseball test ?

Actually I think the Americans have found the answer - have a world series in a sport that nobody else plays and therefore nobody can support a foreign team !

American Exceptionalism and genius solves intractable problems yet again !

moresheep400100.jpg

Will the Global Mod pass the cricket/baseball test ?

Actually I think the Americans have found the answer - have a world series in a sport that nobody else plays and therefore nobody can support a foreign team !

American Exceptionalism and genius solves intractable problems yet again !

We like being different Alan so please just get over it.

Timeline

You watched the royal wedding??? I am soooooooooo glad all that nonsense is over.

I wanted to hang my Union flag out but was forbidden by her indoors

Only American flags can fly in the USA (she says)

I like the look of Catherine - I would certainly give her one and that is the ultimate accolade from any man

I didn't like Di - I had her taped as a head down the toilet bulemic neurotic as soon as I clapped eyes on her. Bunny boiler par excellence

But Cathy is a cool dude - perfect for the job - better than her hubby I reckon

Philip was made a Prince by his wife after 10 years of marriage in 1957 - so if Cathy keeps her nose clean and doesn't suck her accountant's toes and hawk her mutton around the USA for money like big botty red head --- she will get Princess just before she is 40 I reckon.

I see a lot of the queen mother in her and she will provide the steel backbone

I am not a Royalist - not with this lot who are a German import - but if we have to have em, they might as well be classy - and I reckon she is

Now Erik Bloodaxe the last King of York - I could get behind his dynasty - in fact I might be his heir apparent via Granny Summersgill from North Yorkshire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Bloodaxe

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

We like being different Alan so please just get over it.

Don't be so insecure ! The 'world series' gets a grin all over the world so relax and get over it

moresheep400100.jpg

Don't be so insecure ! The 'world series' gets a grin all over the world so relax and get over it

Ah the whole "why do you call it the world series" complaint. One word comes to mind, petty.

As far as your other post goes...what?

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

:( okay no one told me they were going to fly! I would have watched the wedding just to see the Hurricane and Spitfire in flight.

Timeline

Ah the whole "why do you call it the world series" complaint. One word comes to mind, petty.

As far as your other post goes...what?

It isn't a complaint - it's wry grin.

I think that was a particulatly apt observation - to have a sport where every immigrant can support the home team without preferring his old country to his new one - as is the case with cricket

That is why I said that baseball is good for that purpose

moresheep400100.jpg

It isn't a complaint - it's wry grin.

I think that was a particulatly apt observation - to have a sport where every immigrant can support the home team without preferring his old country to his new one - as is the case with cricket

That is why I said that baseball is good for that purpose

We have soccer. The problem is that regardless immigrants tend to first and foremost support there native country's team. I see nothing wrong with this because I would be the same if I moved to the UK and they were to take in the NFL. I believe we are on that road and I look forward to the NFL expansion.

Timeline

:( okay no one told me they were going to fly! I would have watched the wedding just to see the Hurricane and Spitfire in flight.

I used to work for Hawker Group (light bulbs - not Hurricanes), and they paid for my education which I use to torment red necks in these here United States - and I was born 2 miles from the AVRO factory which had a flat roof and was the largest factory in Britain.

During the war, they put artificial grass on the roof and wooden cows to fool the Luftwaffe -it was somebody's job to move the wooden cows around every night - they were never bombed

I also worked for Dana in Leeds (army truck axles)where the night shift was killed by German bombs. One of the bomber pilots baled out and landed a few yards from my house (I wasn't born then ). He buried his iron cross before the police got him - he thought he would be mistreated because of his bombing decorations. It was found when a new house foundation was dug in the 1980's and it was presented to him back in Germany

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

We have soccer. The problem is that regardless immigrants tend to first and foremost support there native country's team. I see nothing wrong with this because I would be the same if I moved to the UK and they were to take in the NFL. I believe we are on that road and I look forward to the NFL expansion.

I always support the USA at soccer in the world cup - it would be wonderful if they were engaged at a high level in the biggest world sport after fishing and puking on curry. They have a good soccer team with a lot of spirit and as yet unrefined skill. Perhaps Brazil and the world cup will give it a boost

It's ironic that soccer is a girls sport here in the USA but when I played baseball at school in England it was known as 'rounders' and only girls could play it after age 11. So I had to retire at age 11 and go on to rugby or soccer (football)

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I used to work for Hawker Group (light bulbs - not Hurricanes), and they paid for my education which I use to torment red necks in these here United States - and I was born 2 miles from the AVRO factory which had a flat roof and was the largest factory in Britain.

During the war, they put artificial grass on the roof and wooden cows to fool the Luftwaffe -it was somebody's job to move the wooden cows around every night - they were never bombed

I also worked for Dana in Leeds (army truck axles)where the night shift was killed by German bombs. One of the bomber pilots baled out and landed a few yards from my house (I wasn't born then ). He buried his iron cross before the police got him - he thought he would be mistreated because of his bombing decorations. It was found when a new house foundation was dug in the 1980's and it was presented to him back in Germany

Where was that factory? I imagine it was outside a village in the southeast?

Timeline

Where was that factory? I imagine it was outside a village in the southeast?

Nope I come from the Danelaw in the County of Yorkshire. The AVRO factory was near what is now Leeds airport, 10 miles north west of Leeds and I was born 2 miles north of that in Otley, Wharfedale. As was the famous cabinet maker Chippendale. No serial killer has ever been born in Otley.

240px-Otley_Wharfemeadows_2009.jpg

moresheep400100.jpg