DavidandIrina

Sending a laptop to my Fiancee in Ukraine

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Return the one you bought and wire the money there. Not worth it to deal with the authorities and the anxiety. Plus, the OS will be in her native language, etc. Alternatively, bring it with you when you visit.

I, personally, would not want to have to pay the import taxes and deal with bureaucracy and worry about whether it will arrive in the first place.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Return the one you bought and wire the money there. Not worth it to deal with the authorities and the anxiety. Plus, the OS will be in her native language, etc. Alternatively, bring it with you when you visit.

I, personally, would not want to have to pay the import taxes and deal with bureaucracy and worry about whether it will arrive in the first place.

We told Sergey we will buy him a new computer for his birthday (last week) but we will do it when he comes home for the summer. Not going to send it there. Shipping and taxes far out-cost the computer. The one we bought him just before he started college (4 years already!) is "old, like a dinosaur" :unsure::lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

We told Sergey we will buy him a new computer for his birthday (last week) but we will do it when he comes home for the summer. Not going to send it there. Shipping and taxes far out-cost the computer. The one we bought him just before he started college (4 years already!) is "old, like a dinosaur" :unsure::lol:

Just make sure you get Windows Ultimate...that way you can switch languages with the touch of a key. All our o/s here are the Ultimate version so she has the best of both. Same with MS Office...it's like $25 to download a language for it.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

A few years ago, computers and such were much more expensive in Ukraine/Russia than they were here. I bought Sergey's for around $600 (same thing would probably be $400 now) and it was going for $1000+ in Ukraine at the time. I really haven't shopped for such things there for a while but I am told the price gap is no longer so big. ??? Maybe you know Eekee.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

All computers made in the last 10 years or so will work witrh either voltage. 220 v is by far the more common voltage worldwide and they make computers to work with any household voltage. Check the spec label on your laptop.

:yes: If there is a 'magic' label 'INPUT: 100-240V~50/60Hz' everyting will be fine.

Basically, phones, laptops, cameras work fine. There can be some problems with stuff like hair straighteners or fans.

As for the price difference - it's still there. Electronics in Russia is more expensive than in the US. The gap may be not that dramatic, but it's still pretty big.

Edited by ONA

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

A few years ago, computers and such were much more expensive in Ukraine/Russia than they were here. I bought Sergey's for around $600 (same thing would probably be $400 now) and it was going for $1000+ in Ukraine at the time. I really haven't shopped for such things there for a while but I am told the price gap is no longer so big. ??? Maybe you know Eekee.

It's the same with Belarus. I brought Kira a 17" gateway laptop with a two pack of plugin connectors, webcam, mouse, keyboard stickers, etc... along with the o/s so she could be one of the five people in Belarus that actually had a legitimate copy of Windows.

Electronics in Belarus is crazy expensive.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Electronics, especially laptops and the like, are pretty expensive in Kyiv also, unless you get the "fell off the back of a lorry" discount. But I'm guessing it'll all wash out when you figure in the cost of shipping and customs.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

unless you get the "fell off the back of a lorry" discount.

Do American men say lorry?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

No they don't. Ever read the term on here... "sock puppet" ?

sigbet.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

yeah, when their wife's name is lori. :hehe:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I bought Roma a 15" Acer with the usual low end specs, I think 3GB memory, 320GB drive last September, cost 19,999 rubles! Same laptop here was going for $500, reduced to $400 on sale. I had no idea how excited he was going to be when I gave it to him! But his old desk-top dinosaur really needed replacing, seemed the right thing to do since my sons here all have their own laptops. And now we can skype using its webcam! :) Olya woudn't let me buy her anything but for her kids it was OK!

Timeline

Never. Glad I never felt the need to pretend to be something I am not. But then I am an American man married to a hot Ukrainian woman, why would I fake it? It isn't like I am going to "pretend" to be married to a Canadian.

Speaking of which, the US $ must be taking a bigger hit. Went to Costco tonight and there were far more than the usual Quebecois fleeing the high taxes in Canada.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I bought Roma a 15" Acer with the usual low end specs, I think 3GB memory, 320GB drive last September, cost 19,999 rubles! Same laptop here was going for $500, reduced to $400 on sale. I had no idea how excited he was going to be when I gave it to him! But his old desk-top dinosaur really needed replacing, seemed the right thing to do since my sons here all have their own laptops. And now we can skype using its webcam! :) Olya woudn't let me buy her anything but for her kids it was OK!

You got a keeper, James! when they care for other people more than themselves, you hit the jackpot!

I guess the price difference still exists as it did.

Gary And Alla

Never. Glad I never felt the need to pretend to be something I am not. But then I am an American man married to a hot Ukrainian woman, why would I fake it? It isn't like I am going to "pretend" to be married to a Canadian.

Speaking of which, the US $ must be taking a bigger hit. Went to Costco tonight and there were far more than the usual Quebecois fleeing the high taxes in Canada.

The Canadian dollar is beating the ####### out of the US dollar right now.

sigbet.jpg

Timeline

The Canadian dollar is beating the ####### out of the US dollar right now.

It is always obvious when the "je me souviens" lisence plates far outnumber the Vermont lisence plates at the mall, grocery stores, etc. Good for our economy. Quebec has a 15% sales tax (GST and PST) and we have -0- on food and clothes/shoes. Not to mention that, all else equal, everything is just more expensive there to begin with.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.