DavidandIrina

Sending a laptop to my Fiancee in Ukraine

52 posts in this topic

If time is an issue, then use UPS or FedEx. Once it leaves the hands of the USPS it goes into foreign mail service. Generally that's okay but not for things that have real value. Both UPS and FedEx use their own people or solid contractors that are not government employees. You will have better success, but whatever means you choose, have some method for tracking.

Of course, sending her the money would have been much easier and with Western Union 48 hour delay it's pretty cheap.

Good luck either way. Have you considered the compatibility of a U.S. computer to a Ukraine power system?

Good luck either way. Have you considered the compatibility of a U.S. computer to a Ukraine power system?

All she'll need is an adaptor for the plug. He can either send it to her, or she can pick one up locally.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

An adaptor will be necessary, and they are tougher to find in Ukraine than here. More importantly, unless her English is VERY fluent, using the comuter (English DOS and keyboard) may be very frustrating for her. I like the posts above that talk about buying a Ukrainian notebook, but since you have apparently already bought the mini - remember to send the adaptor too.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

An adaptor will be necessary, and they are tougher to find in Ukraine than here.

She's in Kyiv though. I never had a hard time finding anything electronic in Kyiv, although depending on her level of computer savvy she may have a hard time explaining what she needs. OTOH, if you're going to ship a laptop to Ukraine, throwing in an adapter won't add much to the shipping.

Still...return it if you can and send her the money to buy it there.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I found a plug adapter in a subway kiosk in Kharkov. It's not that difficult. Especially in Kiev.

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline

My Ukrainian fiancee (soon wife I hope) has a busted laptop, so I just bought her a new Acer Mini laptop and was going to ship it off tomorrow express mail via USPS. However, I got to thinking that maybe it isn't the most efficient way to send it. What do you all recommend? Think it is safe to send through USPS? Would hate for a 300 dollar laptop to vanish... I think the USPS only insures up to 100 dollars anyways, so I'd take a 200 dollar hit which would suck.

Any safer ways to send it? Think it is ok? Its going to Kiev.

David

she is also going to get whacked for import tax. Most likely, unless she gets lucky.

When I brought my fiancee and our son a new laptop I just brought it in my carry on when I visited as if it were my own and "oops" I forgot to pack it coming back. I hate when that happens.

By the time you are done with everything it will have been cheaper to just Money Gram her the money to buy it there.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

An adaptor will be necessary, and they are tougher to find in Ukraine than here. More importantly, unless her English is VERY fluent, using the comuter (English DOS and keyboard) may be very frustrating for her. I like the posts above that talk about buying a Ukrainian notebook, but since you have apparently already bought the mini - remember to send the adaptor too.

Most laptops need a PLUG adaptor only. Because of the transformer built into the line they accept either 120/220 and you are adapting to the round prong plug only. These are easy to find and cheap.

And DO NOT EVER send anything for home delivery in Ukraine. Send it for station pickup and let her go get it at the Fedex office.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I believe that she must pay custom since is coming from another country.

:thumbs:

As long as the "declared value" is under I believe $250 then she won't have to pay customs duties. I usually put a value of $50 and class it as a gift with no problems.

Ukrainian authorites have no problem with opening boxes to see what is inside and charging what they want for customs tax or just stealing the thing.

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

My Ukrainian fiancee (soon wife I hope) has a busted laptop, so I just bought her a new Acer Mini laptop and was going to ship it off tomorrow express mail via USPS. However, I got to thinking that maybe it isn't the most efficient way to send it. What do you all recommend? Think it is safe to send through USPS? Would hate for a 300 dollar laptop to vanish... I think the USPS only insures up to 100 dollars anyways, so I'd take a 200 dollar hit which would suck.

David

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I just sent a box 7.3 pounds and cost me $63 to Aus but I always use USPS and never had a problem .

It is not the USPS that one need be concerned about here. Once it leaves the country it is no longer the USPS as it is handed over to the Ukrainian mail service.

An adaptor will be necessary, and they are tougher to find in Ukraine than here.

quite to the contrary.... easy find even in Kherson

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Timeline

Fedex is much more expensive that USPS. Probably $150 to send your computer. And you might get dinged for customs. Also, I'm not sure about the wisdom of sending a relatively delicate piece of electronics by mail.

I agree with others that the better solution would be to have her find one at a store in Kyiv. And then she'll have access to tech support if there is a problem down the line.

Most laptops need a PLUG adaptor only. Because of the transformer built into the line they accept either 120/220 and you are adapting to the round prong plug only. These are easy to find and cheap.

And DO NOT EVER send anything for home delivery in Ukraine. Send it for station pickup and let her go get it at the Fedex office.

+1

@ the OP

Go to Radio Shack and pick up the adapter...you can get a two pack there for around $12 and then go to amazon online and get a English - Russian keyboard stickers, or English-Ukrainian...which ever she prefers. Then send it USPS - Certified so that she has to sign for it.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

David

Make sure it will operate on 230 volts.

Timeline

Make sure it will operate on 230 volts.

All computers made in the last 10 years or so will work witrh either voltage. 220 v is by far the more common voltage worldwide and they make computers to work with any household voltage. Check the spec label on your laptop.

Most of the newer ones (last 5 years at least) have a transformer in line with a separate power cord from the transformer to the plug. The manufacturer simply drops the appropriate power cord termination in the box when it is time for shipping, everything else is the same. If you ever wondered why that part "unplugs" from the transformer...that's why. If you could get one of those from the manufacturer, that would work also. But it is usually easier and cheaper to buy a simple adaptor at Radio Shack or most any other elcetronic store. We have been using computers purchased here to operate in Russia/Ukraine for many years now and have never had a problem.

For myself I bought a Cyrillic keyboard (at the market in Donetsk) that plugs in with a USB cord and it works fine with my laptop.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.