476 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Thats good news, But do you know this or sure and do you know of anyone that has faced this type of situation? thanks

As previously stated, some people have waited YEARS before applying and have had no issues (no issues being no extra questions, they're always able to apply), other's HAVE had issues (i.e. trouble, again no issue applying, just with approval). But we aren't those people, we didn't sit with them in interview, or see the documents they sent in. No idea WHY some had issues or others didn't. It's up to you to apply and see what happens, and be prepared to explain why it took so long if they ask (they might not).

• 2 weeks later...
Thats good news, But do you know this or sure and do you know of anyone that has faced this type of situation? thanks

It's correct - overstay (out of status), as long as there are not other adverse factors, is not held against you when you AOS.

However, my personal stance on there isn't a "dead line" for filing the AOS. It's correct that there isn't anything in the AOS instructions that state that, however, you "status" is controlled by the I-94.

The visa doesn't give you status, your I-94 does. (this is why you have to have one when you come in the US, and why you have to turn it in to prove you left - protecting your status and future trips)

Once you go out of status, you are subject to issues with ICE. If for some reason or another you get involved with them prior to AOS, you may have some serious issues. (some cases = deportation)

Now - will ICE come kicking down your door? Probably not - but do a search on ICE in the AOS section here and you will find recent cases (like in the last 4 weeks of this post) of ICE looking for people that are "out of status".

Do you want to be that person making a post that ICE is looking for you out of status?

So, the I-94 should be considered your "dead line" to file the AOS - filing protects your status. Not filing does nothing but leave you out of status. (not a good place to be)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Taiwan
Timeline

hi to fellow VJ users. Before I do anything to adjust my status, i just want to gather some advice. I came in the United States with a B-1 visa for internship purposes. I had no intention to get married here but when the family of my partner who is an american citizen found out that I am 4 months pregnant they insisted on having us married.

We have our marriage certificate with us now. How should I go about the processing of my adjustment of status.

Thanks for some advice:)

• 3 weeks later...
There is no deadline for applying.

Dallas Office Rapid Adjustment (DORA) program was shut down a couple years ago...

I came to read this guide, and in the first post there is some sort of special note for people from Oklahoma, New Mexico and Texas. The link is broken. Does this quoted answer apply for Oklahoma too? Should we mail AOS package to Chicago like everyone else?

5oMDm5.png

For the detailed timeline, please click "Timeline" under my avatar and check the "comments".

ROC Journey:-

05.12.2012 -- Mailed I-751 packet

05.21.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

05.30.2012 -- Biometric notice issued

06.06.2012 -- Biometrics Date (walk-in). Was scheduled for 06/14

xx.xx.2012 -- Card Production Ordered.

xx.xx.2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

Hi everyone, we haven't even moved across the Atlantic to be together yet but we're already looking into the next step. I will be travelling from the UK to New Jersey on my K1 visa on May 31st and we're getting married on June 27th. I just have a few questions -

1) When having my medical in London in December, my vaccination history was incomplete. They advised that I would need to get the MMR and TDAP vaccine done by my local doctor in the UK. I'm now thinking I would prefer to get this done in the US instead, all in one go. Can I do this? And can it be done by the Civil Surgeon at the same time as completing my I-693?

2)Can anyone recommend a civil surgeon in the NJ area?

3) I read recently on VJ and also the USCIS website that the process of I-485 is changing, or has changed? Something about the AOS application shouldnt be sent any more to the Chicago lockbox anymore but your local office...? Is this right? Are there any other changes?

Thank you! :star:

Hi everyone, we haven't even moved across the Atlantic to be together yet but we're already looking into the next step. I will be travelling from the UK to New Jersey on my K1 visa on May 31st and we're getting married on June 27th. I just have a few questions -

1) When having my medical in London in December, my vaccination history was incomplete. They advised that I would need to get the MMR and TDAP vaccine done by my local doctor in the UK. I'm now thinking I would prefer to get this done in the US instead, all in one go. Can I do this? And can it be done by the Civil Surgeon at the same time as completing my I-693?

You could get the MMR and Tdap here in the US. You could get it done at the CS who will transcribe you vaccination record. However, they are generally more expensive then others facilities. Cheaper routes are the local health department, a little clinic at the grocery store like Little Clinic in Kroger or Take Away clinic in Walgrees. The clinics are different depends on where you live. The other option if you have time is register with a primary care doctor and get on your then husband's insurance and get the vaccination at that office. As long as you get the required parts of the I693 completed by the CS, they do not care where you get the vaccination. But I think the cheapest would be to get them there in the UK by your primary doctor[/i][/color]

2)Can anyone recommend a civil surgeon in the NJ area?

Here is the the CS that do not rip you off list that was started on VJ: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/Civil_Surgeon_List

But you can also go the the uscis website here and input your zip code to find the one nearest to you: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=of...office_type=CIV

3) I read recently on VJ and also the USCIS website that the process of I-485 is changing, or has changed? Something about the AOS application shouldnt be sent any more to the Chicago lockbox anymore but your local office...? Is this right? Are there any other changes?

Beginning February 25, 2010, most applicants must submit Form I-485 to a USCIS Lockbox facility, depending on the eligibility category under which they are filing, as provided in the form instructions. USCIS Service Centers will forward all Form I-485 applications to the appropriate Lockbox facility until March 29, 2010. USCIS will accept previous versions of Form I-485 until March 29, 2010. After March 29, 2010, USCIS will only accept the Form I-485 dated “12/03/09.”Any previous versions of the the form that are submitted will be rejected. After the transitional period, the Service Centers will return any incorrectly filed Form I-485 with instructions to send the application to the correct location.[/i]

Thank you! :star:

I hope that helped....

Edited by prettyunique

01.09.10 Married

02.01.10 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago! (day 1)

02.02.10 - Delivered to Chicago per USPS delivery confirmation/signature @ 11:30a

02.10.10 - Check cashed (day 9)

02.12.10 - Recieved NOA in the mail for AOS, EAD, AP (dated 2/8/10: Day 1)

02.16.10- Biometrics appointment for 3.4.10 (dated 2.11.10)

02.18.10 - Early biometrics! walk-in (day 10)

02.22.10 - RFE for Medical (dated 2.18.10)

02.23.10 - Infopass (not helpful)

02.26.10 - Sent reply to RFE for I 693 to Lee's Summit and sent letter to senator (day 18)

03.01.10 - Delivery confirmation for RFE by Lee's summit and senator

03.04.10 - Status update: Case has resumed; letter from senator stating case is with adjunctor(day 24 )

03.08.10 - AOS application transferred to CALIFORNIA SERVICE CENTER... No updates on EAD or AP (day 28)

03.13.10 - touch on 485/ 3.15.10 - touch on 485/ 3.16.10 - touch on 485/ 3.17.10 - touch on 485!!! (day 37)

03.29.10 - Day 49 from notice date of NOA.... day 58 from filing

04.06.10 - AP approved and EAD card production ordered!!! (Day 56)

04.08.10 - touch on AP...... 04.09.10- touch on EAD (second card production notice) and AOS

04.10.10 - AP arrived in the mail

04.13.10 - EAD approval notice online and card in the mail

07.10.10 - A TOUCH!!! (on AOS)

08.06.10 - Another touch

08.17.10- AOS approved!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

1) When having my medical in London in December, my vaccination history was incomplete. They advised that I would need to get the MMR and TDAP vaccine done by my local doctor in the UK. I'm now thinking I would prefer to get this done in the US instead, all in one go. Can I do this? And can it be done by the Civil Surgeon at the same time as completing my I-693? I would see if you can get it done at the health department etc because it's apparently cheaper. If you will be in the US within the "deadlines" for the vaccines (some have specific gaps)

2)Can anyone recommend a civil surgeon in the NJ area? The person above me gave you links

3) I read recently on VJ and also the USCIS website that the process of I-485 is changing, or has changed? Something about the AOS application shouldnt be sent any more to the Chicago lockbox anymore but your local office...? Is this right? Are there any other changes? Technically yes, but it's still Chicago for K1's (although the attn part and zip code did change as well). here are the form instructions: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf see page 5, part 1, D that's us K1's. Then scroll to page 6 to see the mailing address. I also discuss this in the AOS thread in my signature

Hope that helps :D

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

No not illegal but one must be otherwise eligible and have entered the US legally/been inspected and granted entry.

Okay, it looks like I've been posting in the wrong section. For this question at least.

My husband came here on a B2 last year for an internship. We met during the same internship, married three months later and he returned home.

We later filed a I-130, I-129F and I-864 which is now pending and for which we've just received an RFE 'suggesting' we obtain a co-sponsor.

My husband will be here in the summer and the same B2 for another internship, which we will be working on together for three months. We are considering just dropping the IV case and filing for Adjustment of Status.

(1) is this even a option for us?

(2) how do we proceed?

(3) do we use the same I-130 to file for AOS or a new one? (if we file a new one as I think we need to, then by the time we get to the NOA2 stage and receive a request for another affidavit of support, I will have finished school for the time being and be working for a year before continuing with school. We 'just' meet the financial requirement for the I-864 but because it is border line, going with Adjustment of Status after he arrives will allow me enough time to graduate, find work and show higher income).

Please advise,

Peace!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I am going to enter the US on May 16th and we're planning to get married on August 7th, which is within the 90 days by just one week.

I read that the county where we're getting married takes 2 weeks to issue the wedding certificates, therefore I will have to apply to AOS after the 90-day visa validity.

Is this going to be a problem?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

So I have been reading on the USCIS website about the AOS form I-1485 and then I saw that he said Supplement A to Form I-485 was needed on top of the I-1485. Is this only for a certain situation or does everyone Adjusting their status have to file this along with the I-1485? Man that's another $1,000 on top of the $1,010. Thanks all :)

"When love is not madness, it is not love" -Pedro Calderon de la Barca

Lucky in Love <3

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : April 28th 2010

I-129F Received : April 30th 2010

Check cashed and in Initial Review : May 3rd 2010

I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy : May 4th 2010

Touched: May 5th 2010

I-129F RFE(s) : None!

I-129F NOA2 : July 19th 2010

NVC Received : July 23rd 2010

NVC Left : July 26th 2010

Consulate Received : July 29th 2010

Packet 3 Received : July 30th 2010

Packet 3 Sent : August 18th,2010

Medical Exam : August 17th 2010

Packet 4 Received :August 25th 2010

Interview Date : September 21st 2010

Interview Result : APPROVED! ( at 5 months exactly)

Visa Received : October 4th 2010

US Entry : October 18th 2010

Marriage : November 20th 2010

Filed AOS and EAD: December 8th 2010

NOA date for AOS and EAD: December 15th 2010

Biometrics Appointment: January 14th 2010

EAD Approved:February 12 20111

EAD Card Received: February 22 2011

Adjustment of Status Approved: February 17th 2011

Green Card Received: February 24th 2011

Simon Got A Job!!: March 2011

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I am going to enter the US on May 16th and we're planning to get married on August 7th, which is within the 90 days by just one week.

I read that the county where we're getting married takes 2 weeks to issue the wedding certificates, therefore I will have to apply to AOS after the 90-day visa validity.

Is this going to be a problem?

Hi steabba,

I have been reading this similar discussion in some forums,cannot remember,but basically,the thing is as long as you are married within the 90 day period it should be okay.

For your state specific rules,you might have to ask a VJ member from there or just google on here more information.

Good Luck dear!

K-1 Visa

11/03/09:I-129F sent to VSC

11/06/09:NOA1

03/02/10:NOA2 !!!

05/24/10:Interview!!-Approved!

POE: 28th June

AOS

07/20/2010: AOS sent

07/21/2010: Received at Chicago Lockbox

07/27/2010:text and email notifications received,cheque cashed!

07/30/2010:NOA1 received for EAD

08/02/2010:NOA1s for AOS/AP received

08/11/2010: AP touched

08/18/2010:I-485 transferred to CSC

08/19/2010:I-485 touched, 08/24: I-485 physically in CSC now,08/25 :I-485 touched

08/27/2010:put in service request with USCIS for Biometrics letter

09/08/2010:AP approved and EAD touched

09/11/2010:AP and EAD touched

09/14/2010:Biometrics walk-in successful (10/01/2010:Original biometrics appt)

09/13/2010:AP last touched

09/14/2010:EAD card production ordered and AOS touched

09/15/2010:EAD and AOS touched

09/20/2010:Received AP in the mail

09/24/2010:EAD in mail

10/13/2010:GC card production ordered

10/14 and 10/15: AOS touched

10/20/2010: GC received- Done with USCIS till June,2012

My humble blog:

http://songbird24.wordpress.com/

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Ok, so I'm jumping back on the VJ bandwagon after being off for a while after the wedding & honeymoon and such. AOS has been filed. For some reason, it got lost in the mail for over a week. It wasn't showing up w/ the tracking number, but luckily USCIS did finally get it, and we got our NOAs in the mail yesterday. Now the waiting game starts again.

K-1 Process

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-26

Visa Received : 2010-02-04

US Entry - Dallas : 2010-02-26

Marriage : 2010-03-27

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Dallas TX

Date Filed : 2010-04-13

NOA Date : 2010-04-24

RFE(s) :

AOS Transfer** : 2010-05-13

Bio. Appt. : 2010-06-07

***AOS TOUCHED*** 2010-06-18

***AOS TOUCHED*** 2010-06-22

***AOS TOUCHED*** 2010-06-23

******EAD and AP approved and sent for production 2010-06-28******

AP Received 2010-07-05

EAD Received 2010-07-10

GC Received 2010-07-10

So I have been reading on the USCIS website about the AOS form I-1485 and then I saw that he said Supplement A to Form I-485 was needed on top of the I-1485. Is this only for a certain situation or does everyone Adjusting their status have to file this along with the I-1485? Man that's another $1,000 on top of the $1,010. Thanks all :)

I don't know what Supplement A is but you definitely dont have to pay another $1,000. The fee for AOS is still $1,010. To file for AP and EAD is free.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.