sleepykoara

document pending, could I file an extension for the interview?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Dear all, any advice would help!

My fiance was born in Malaysia before went to UK for undergraduate studies and then immigrated and naturalized in Australia. So, a letter of good conduct (aka the police certificate) is required since he was in Malaysia at age 16. He submitted the request over a month ago but it's still under process. My worry is that according to my I-797, it is only valid until May 30, 2011! So, we barely have a few weeks left to hope the Malaysian police certificate to arrive in time; so that he could send all the documents to the Consulate in Sydney; and to be interviewed by May 30.

Does anyone know if the police certificate has not come in May, could I file an extension? If so, where to submit the extension request?

If extension is not an option; how long should I wait to apply the K1 for him again?

Thanks a lot, Koara

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Dear all, any advice would help!

My fiance was born in Malaysia before went to UK for undergraduate studies and then immigrated and naturalized in Australia. So, a letter of good conduct (aka the police certificate) is required since he was in Malaysia at age 16. He submitted the request over a month ago but it's still under process. My worry is that according to my I-797, it is only valid until May 30, 2011! So, we barely have a few weeks left to hope the Malaysian police certificate to arrive in time; so that he could send all the documents to the Consulate in Sydney; and to be interviewed by May 30.

Does anyone know if the police certificate has not come in May, could I file an extension? If so, where to submit the extension request?

If extension is not an option; how long should I wait to apply the K1 for him again?

Thanks a lot, Koara

You have been approved and received packet 3 back in February. What you should have done was had this organised well before, but regardless of that you still have a month so if you have not received it by 2n week of May you can email the consulate in Sydney and ask for an extension telling them that you have not received police report from Malaysia. Just a thought did you ask for the report to be sent to consulate or his address in Melbourne?

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

A quick summary for the extension request, which was very easy as long as you have good reason for such request:

This is what I got from the Sydney:

Your I-129F petition is nearing its expiration date or will have expired by the time you attend your final visa interview. To revalidate your petition, please have your U.S. citizen fiancé(e)/spouse immediately send this office a signed, dated letter requesting that your petition be extended for an additional X months.

For fiancé(e) (K1) visa applicants, the letter from your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) should state his/her intention to still marry you within 90 days of your arrival into the U.S. with the K-1 visa and that you both are still free to marry.

Your application will be extended when the revalidation request is approved. We will only contact you with further instructions if this request has been denied.

You may scan and email your request to sydneyiv@state.gov

If you have requested that your interview be postponed, please advise our office as to which month you would prefer your new interview be scheduled for.

This is what I wrote them back:

I am writing in regards to revalidate my approved petition, case number: SYD2011123456.

Attached is my signed and dated letter of request, together with supporting documents.

Thank you very much, and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

and... finally got the extension via email:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Your petition has been revalidated to expire on September 30, 2011.

Sincerely,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Consulate General, Sydney

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.