hellraiser

Processing Timeframe - I think I got what it meant!!!!

1 post in this topic

I was getting awfully frustrated with this experience:

Whenever one calls the "USCIS Customer Service" to get an update on their case status and talks to an agent, you will hear few pretty basic questions and then the agent will read exactly whatever is in the USCIS website (if you are registered). Afterwards, if you explain your situation, the agent will try to find out where it is stuck and then may tell you that your application didn't go over the normal processing timeframe. I couldn't figure what this means until an agent patiently explained this to me and I think I somewhat got it.

The way it works is they will try to find (either online or some other means) from the group/party/department/center where you stated it is stuck. Based on the query they will get some feedback that says that particular group/party/department/center is processing cases dated up to such and such. If that date is NOT greater than the date on your last status, you are still within the regular processing timeframe. The only time you will be able to open a SR (Service Request) if their processing time is greater than your application time.

Since my 5 months timeframe passed (not sure why USCIS VSC (Vermont Service Center) is claiming 5 months as goal, national average and their processing time and there is not correction when the standard for CR1/IR1 seems pretty much 6 months) I started calling and from day one I heard they are still processing September cases and being October I am not outside the range; hence call a month later. As I am at the last few days of my 6 month period, I hear VSC is processing up to October 2nd hence I should search after 24 days.

What I just realized is the worst possible answer. To give an example; if one submitted their case in January 2010 and is expecting this to be ready and if agent calls and finds out that particular agency is dealing cases from January 2009, that means, even if the case is supposed be addressed 6 months ago (generic number for example only), but it's within the normal processing timeframe and theoretically that person can search back after a year.

Lessons learned from this; there is no such thing as normal processing timeframe. Whatever abnormal time USCIS comes up with becomes the norm. What a joke!!!!!! Where is the accountability for posting this 5 month range for all I-130 application in the website for VSC where as I haven't found anyone on this site yet (or maybe I missed) whose case was addressed within 5 months!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.