Buttertart

Does Crossing US Customs at Pearson Count as "in America"?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Last July, I was denied entry at Pearson because I spent too much time in the US over 2009/2010. I was given a copy of the form, which said that I withdrew my request to enter. The border officer said not to try and cross for 6 months, and when I do to show strong ties to Canada.

I have a conference I'm speaking at in July in Vegas, which is very important and I don't want to miss out on it.

I was thinking that this weekend, heading to the Toronto airport, purchasing a refundable ticket to a US destination, and attempting to get through customs with a bank statement showing I have $1000, a letter from my MP stating I'll be volunteering on May 2, election day, and a doctor's appointment.

I'm wondering if I cross customs, then turn around and come back if that will count as a successful crossing and improve my chances of being let through in July for Vegas (when I'll also have a letter from the conference taking responsibility for me).

Any thoughts?

My thought: see if you can get a visa, that way it is more likely you are able to enter the country.

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure if thats a great idea to be honest. You should definitely work on more ties for sure, like apartment/house lease, letter from employer saying what day you are expected back,bank statement,anything you can possibly think of. Some people have no problems after a denial but others can get the harsh treatment. Personally I would probably wait till July and try at that time but thats just me.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My thought: see if you can get a visa, that way it is more likely you are able to enter the country.

Canadians don't have to get visitor's VISAs.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

As usual it comes down to the POE officer--simple as that! You stated that you really want to goto that Conference in July! So if I were you--that would be my next visit to the USA. Why? Because you should be able to dig up evidence that you are going down for the conference. Maybe your even listed on a brochure or some type of paperwork as a speaker--bring that with you!! As well have at the ready return airfare, apartment lease, anything with ties to Canada and of course the Conference!! My other suggestions is in my signature. Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, thanks. Yes, there will be evidence I'm a guest, and I'm going to get the conference to write a letter stating that they are picking me up/taking me back to the airport, taking care of my accommodations, etc.,.

The problem with my strong ties is that I'm a freelancer who lives with her parents :( So I don't have rent, I don't own a car, I don't have an employer. I work from home and my "office" is an Alienware, a Cintiq, and a drafting table in my bedroom :(

I am a pseudo-celebrity in my town, so I was thinking of having my MP and the Mayor sign letters each stating that I'm a valued citizen and they can vouch that I'm returning--if that would be helpful...I'm not sure. I was also going to schedule my yearly checkup for sometime after the conference.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are really wanting to attempt a border crossing, and it has been six months, you could try the letter from your MP and your other evidence and take a friend shopping at the Walden Galleria or the Outlet Malls on the American side in Niagara Falls (if you're living in Toronto anyway). Driving across may be easier, having a friend along may ease suspicion, and a shopping trip is short term...

It might allow you a chance to chat with a border guard too, ask some questions about your previous 'denial'.

But I do think the safer bet is to wait until July, bring proof of the conference expecting you and your intentions to return to Canada right away and leave the border alone as much as possible.

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Timeline

Okay, thanks. Yes, there will be evidence I'm a guest, and I'm going to get the conference to write a letter stating that they are picking me up/taking me back to the airport, taking care of my accommodations, etc.,.

The problem with my strong ties is that I'm a freelancer who lives with her parents :( So I don't have rent, I don't own a car, I don't have an employer. I work from home and my "office" is an Alienware, a Cintiq, and a drafting table in my bedroom :(

I am a pseudo-celebrity in my town, so I was thinking of having my MP and the Mayor sign letters each stating that I'm a valued citizen and they can vouch that I'm returning--if that would be helpful...I'm not sure. I was also going to schedule my yearly checkup for sometime after the conference.

If they will write a letter for you why not get them to do it!! Just keep in mind you can have 100% concrete evidence that you will be returning to Canada, and that the POE officer can still deny you entry into the USA! So if they do deny you entry again, remain calm, be polite--your not going to win the argument!! If you become a huge jerk (not saying you would,lol) they then can make your life truly miserable!! Politeness gets one far!! People have to remember these POE officers see 100's, 1000's of people a day and they have to make a judgement call! And I would think the longer their shift goes, the more stressed/frustrated they can get! Cheers

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.