Alianza Terps

Financial information and ability to steal identity

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello everyone. I think I'm becoming super paranoid because of all the documents and paperwork involved in the process. We recent had our visa approved (yay!) and I demonstrated my financial support by providing my bank statements, savings accounts and assets. I have a considerable amount of money in my savings and from assets. Now I'm just paranoid by the fact that the POE agent and any stranger who works at the USCIS could potentially look at our file and have all the information one would need to steal someone's identity and all my money (SSN, bank account #'s, etc).

I'm just being paranoid, right?

Timeline

Hello everyone. I think I'm becoming super paranoid because of all the documents and paperwork involved in the process. We recent had our visa approved (yay!) and I demonstrated my financial support by providing my bank statements, savings accounts and assets. I have a considerable amount of money in my savings and from assets. Now I'm just paranoid by the fact that the POE agent and any stranger who works at the USCIS could potentially look at our file and have all the information one would need to steal someone's identity and all my money (SSN, bank account #'s, etc).

I've noticed than you and us, have joined VJ the same day...cool, ha? :dance:

:luv:

Timeline

First of all, you have to relax. It is a stressful journey, but you need to be patient.

And why you give your personal password of all your accounts?

Well, the account numbers are just on the bank statements. SSN is on the income tax returns and transcripts. I probably should have blacked them out but there is not much I can do now...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You would be amazed at the information that they have access to besides your documents. Yes you are being paranoid. You have other choice but to supply the information that they require except not to follow the process at all or move out of the country. So, I guess three choices.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

You would be amazed at the information that they have access to besides your documents. Yes you are being paranoid. You have other choice but to supply the information that they require except not to follow the process at all or move out of the country. So, I guess three choices.

True. They have access to a lot of information right now. If they wanted to steal an identity, they've already had thousands of chances. There's enough stress on this journey, don't create more for yourself. :thumbs:

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Well, the account numbers are just on the bank statements. SSN is on the income tax returns and transcripts. I probably should have blacked them out but there is not much I can do now...

Redacting the documents pretty much invalidates them anyway. If you remove any information that would allow confirmation of the documents then why bother to provide the documents in the first place?

Timeline

Okay thanks for the reassurance and those are good points! I woke up this morning thinking about it and I couldn't stop. I felt like I needed someone to give me a good slap in the face. I'm sure the government and their agencies have the ability to access whatever information they want to on people. I like my privacy but this process is so intrusive that I never know how much information is too much and what I am actually allowed to keep to myself...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

They have access to everything so don't worry about your account but there are a few things to know consider getting a service

like life lock or a reliable credit monitoring service. Also know that your financial Institution will reimburse your accounts

against any fraud.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

They have access to everything so don't worry about your account but there are a few things to know consider getting a service

like life lock or a reliable credit monitoring service. Also know that your financial Institution will reimburse your accounts

against any fraud.

Do NOT use LifeLock. The FTC has even called LifeLock a scam, and fined them $12m for deceptive practices, among other things, last year.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

You can always lock your credit info with the credit reporting agencies it is what company like lifelock do... and ask the bank to change account numbers if you are that worried about it.

Daniel

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : Feb 9,2011

I-129F Received :In Texas then sent to CSC Feb 11,2011

Check cashed and in Initial Review : Feb 16,2011

I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy : Feb 15 2011

TOUCHED 04/04/2011 Is it wrong to be happy to be touched by a stranger?

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 :05/27/2011

NVC Received :06/09/2011

NVC Left : 06/27/2011

Consulate Received : 07/01/2011

Packet 3 Received : 07/18/2011

Packet 3 Sent : 07/19/2011

Medical Exam : 07/19/2011

Packet 4 Received :07/25/2011

Interview Date :09/13/2011

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 09\16\2011

US Entry : 09\20\2011

Marriage :09/22/2011

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I always blacked out everything except the last 4 digits on bank account information. I was fine with getting an RFE if they really wanted that information but they never did. I wasn't worried about USCIS having it, but after hearing that they sometimes store boxes of files in the back of semi truck trailers, who the heck knows who has access?

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.