Moosker

Just for fun...when is the next time you're going "home" to Canada?

149 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We aren't visiting Canada until Christmas.. and by that time, I won't have seen my family since March, since I was away at school this past year. I'm already looking forward to it! And we're also planning to visit my husband's family in the UK next summer.. :)

May 25th, 2010 : Filed I-129F at CSC

June 1st, 2010 : NoA1

June 7th, 2010 : Touch

October 19th, 2010: Touch

October 20th, 2010: NoA2! (141 days)

November 8th, 2010: Received Packet 3 from Montreal

November 10th, 2010: Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

November 25th: Received Packet 4 & Scheduled interview!

March 8th, 2011: Interview in Montreal - Approved!

April 30th, 2011: Move to CA

May 6th, 2011: Married <3

May 31st, 2011: Filed AOS

June 6th, 2011: NoA1

June 13th, 2011: Received Notice for Biometrics

July 7th, 2011: Biometrics

August 22, 2011: AOS Interview - Approved!

August 29th, 2011: Greencard in hand!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I haven't even left Canada yet, hopefully moving to Arizona in july. I will be back the end of September tho for the birth of my first grandbaby, a girl. I am sooooo looking forward to it. I will be staying with my son and his wife for two weeks to help with the new arrival.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I haven't even left Canada yet, hopefully moving to Arizona in july. I will be back the end of September tho for the birth of my first grandbaby, a girl. I am sooooo looking forward to it. I will be staying with my son and his wife for two weeks to help with the new arrival.

awe Congrats on the upcoming move and becoming a gramma, You sound like my mom, we are due in Late sept/early Oct and she will be coming to maryland (for the first time ever) for a few weeks to help out.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys another ? from a newbie..sorry im just so full of questions.. wondering how long after we enter the US to get married can we get paperwork to come back to visit? i promised DS he could return for hockey camp? and now im wondering if thats possible? the first year anyways.

We are lucky tho FI travels a lot for work so we will probably accompany him to most trips to To, Ott, Montreal so we can sneak in visits with everybody..And i can stock up on stuff i cant get in the US..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys another ? from a newbie..sorry im just so full of questions.. wondering how long after we enter the US to get married can we get paperwork to come back to visit? i promised DS he could return for hockey camp? and now im wondering if thats possible? the first year anyways.

We are lucky tho FI travels a lot for work so we will probably accompany him to most trips to To, Ott, Montreal so we can sneak in visits with everybody..And i can stock up on stuff i cant get in the US..

Once you get married you will file your AOS(adjustment of status) paperwork. At the same time you can file for EAD (employment authorization) and AP(advance parole). The AP takes around 60-90 days to recieve after you apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just got back from a whirlwind trip for my brother's wedding. I wish we could have stayed longer! I always get homesick after I go up. So jealous of those who live much closer to the border :) Now I'm planning for another trip in September...hehe

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

yeah it looks like we won't be going to Canada next month.. ticket prices are just too high.. we might take a little trip to the Grand canyon though

Sorry Marilyn!! I just got back from Sask!! A long 2100 mile drive!! Do NOT stay at the Super 8 motel in fargo--rooms sucks,lol When i travel on my own, more than happy to stay at the lowest priced place possible, but the AC sucked!! Miss Canada a lot, and yes I'm lucky to be able to go back as often as I do and for extended periods of time. I truly feel bad about those that can't. Would be nicer if my wife was here, but she is away for work until July. Oh well, thats life, can't really complain, others have it far worse!! But no more Timmies,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

if we had 2 weeks I would consider driving but 1 week isn't enough time ... need at least 4 days for driving 2 there and 2 back and that doesn't leave a lot of time for visiting...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

So jealous of those who live much closer to the border :)

I would LOVE to live close to the border!

Do NOT stay at the Super 8 motel in fargo--rooms sucks,lol

OMG, you went to Fargo! :lol: I love that movie. Glad you made it back safe and sound. Is your dog happy to be home?

if we had 2 weeks I would consider driving but 1 week isn't enough time ... need at least 4 days for driving 2 there and 2 back and that doesn't leave a lot of time for visiting...

I agree. When I lived in FL it was a two day drive so I had to plan accordingly. When I planned on driving, that is. lol Now that I'm closer, a 9 hour drive doesn't seem so bad.

iagree.gif

Wow, I'm lucky with a 10-11 hr drive! Can be easily done in a day. 9 hours with super quick pee breaks :) hehe

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'll add to those who are jealous of people who live close to the border. It only takes us three hours and change to be in Canada and about four hours to my step-daughters homes (husband is the Canadian). We visit about four times a year and everyone comes to visit us about every other month. However, I am REALLY looking forward to this time next year. My husband, son (teenager) and I will be trekking from our home in northern Indiana to Nova Scotia where we are renting a beautiful cottage for a week. My step-daughters and their families will be driving from Toronto to meet up with us. It is my father-in-law's 80th birthday and with all of our kids getting older, having families, etc. we're guessing it's our last chance at a true family vacation. What a better way to spend it than in NS for an 80th birthday party?! :dance: I'm really looking forward to the drive as I've never been through New Hampshire or Maine before.

On the subject of how expensive airfare is, a few months ago we paid for flights for my mother-in-law and father-in-law to come here from NS. I nearly had a stroke. It's a good thing that I like them. :lol: They'll be arriving next Wednesday for two weeks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Awww. That's awesome, SomberCat. Have a great time! And it's nice to see you back again. :)

Thanks Krikit. It's nice to be back. :luv: Time for ROC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.