Moosker

Just for fun...when is the next time you're going "home" to Canada?

149 posts in this topic

I hate it when a long time passes since I've been home....thankfully my Mom and I try and switch it up, every few months we take turns visiting. Thank you Southwest for your cheap flights!

Flames ---- how was the long hike? More importantly...how did your poor dog do? :innocent:

***Removing Conditions***

Submitted I-751: March 4, 2011

Check cashed: March 10, 2011

NOA1: March 8, 2011

Biometrics Appt: April 21, 2011

Early Bio Walk-in: April 7, 2011

Approved: September 7, 2011

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I hate it when a long time passes since I've been home....thankfully my Mom and I try and switch it up, every few months we take turns visiting. Thank you Southwest for your cheap flights!

Flames ---- how was the long hike? More importantly...how did your poor dog do? :innocent:

Dog is doing well. She pants for awhile, then eventually settles down. 2030 miles from DC to saskatoon, then to calgary, now in Kamloops!! As much as she hates the drive, she hates to be left at home!!! I bought her a thundershirt, not sure if it helps, maybe a bit. http://www.thundershirt.com/

This is a breeze considering she has an airplane ride to go on this Aug when we move. Poor pup!!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Poor thing! At least she is traveling the world, she'll probably brag to her other dog friends when she gets back :P

I've heard this is good for dogs too (planes/travel/stress/etc): http://www.rescueremedy.com/pets/

Never heard of the thunder shirt, quite the invention.

Where are you moving to?

Last time I took my little runt of a shih tzu (4 lbs) on the plane, I opened the top to pet her and she got this crazy look in her eyes and started scratching and clawing to get out. THank goodness I could reach down far enough or she would've been long gone on that plane. What a crazy nut.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Dog is doing well. She pants for awhile, then eventually settles down. 2030 miles from DC to saskatoon, then to calgary, now in Kamloops!! As much as she hates the drive, she hates to be left at home!!! I bought her a thundershirt, not sure if it helps, maybe a bit. http://www.thundershirt.com/

This is a breeze considering she has an airplane ride to go on this Aug when we move. Poor pup!!!

Wow that is a loooong ride in a car...for you and the pup! My dog has a booster seat/basket (he's under 10 pounds). It hooks around the head rest and belts around the seat, so it is fairly stable and allows him to be high enough to look out of the window. When I was crossing into Canada last week the CBP officer asked me what I had in the car in the seat beside me. I was thinking is this a trick question unsure.gif then answered "a dog", "No" she said" What is he in?" She wanted to know where I had bought the basket. laughing.gif

This isn't the brand I have but same idea. Great for small dogs. Dog booster seat

Yah, where are you moving to Flames?

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

Moving out of the USA and not to Canada, All I'm saying, sorry,lol Not trying to be rude, but always best to keep a low profile online. It should be an interesting experience.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Aah! Now you have us on the edge of our seats!

OBX - that booster seat is great! I've seen them around, does your dog try to jump out?

Filed: Timeline

Same here, I'm on my last night in Canada and after two years it still makes me sad to leave. sad.gif

:( When I left this last time I had taken my British cousins on a tour of Toronto, and then we went to my daughter's house (in Toronto) for pizza before taking them to the airport. I was leaving the next morning so I said my final goodbyes to my son and daughter and son-in-law, then said my final goodbyes to my cousins at the airport. As I was driving away I had a huge lump in my throat. I had to keep telling myself not to focus on it or I would have started bawling. :(:cry:

The next morning I left just after 7:00am. My Mum gets really upset throughout the day if I leave later because she keeps dwelling on it. She started crying and said "I'm really going to miss you. sob" OMG. I have a lump in my throat just thinking about it. I waited until I was home to call her. Any sooner than that and she would have started crying again.

Ohmygoodness. That reminds me. When my parents and my daughter and son-in-law were here for Easter, my daughter came into the kitchen, hugged me, started crying, and told me how much she missed me. It was nice and horrible all at the same time. :cry:

This isn't the brand I have but same idea. Great for small dogs. Dog booster seat

OMG. That is the funniest thing ever. You need to post a pic! :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Aah! Now you have us on the edge of our seats!

OBX - that booster seat is great! I've seen them around, does your dog try to jump out?

He only rarely will jump out, usually when I'm stopping for gas. When I'm driving he never jumps out. It does have a clip that can be attached to his collar but since he doesn't move around much I don't usually use it.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just booked a flight home to Canada for a week (leaving on the 31st and coming back the 7th...I am so excited). I got a GREAT deal on priceline using the name your own price feature ($500 return from Knoxville to Edmonton). My mom and sister were supposed to come here for a visit, as my sister just had her reconstruction surgery after having a mastectomy last year, and was going to do some revocering by the pool here!! But her and her husband decided to buy a second home and the closing date is right when she was planning on visiting here. My mom was still going to visit, but the flights were over $1000 to come here from Edmonton. And since we only have a small apt we don't have a spare bed, so that would mean a hotel stay as well.

So now I will go home and help my sister move. She still can't really lift any boxes or anything, so she can entertain Emma and I will do all the lifting for her!! She thinks it is a pretty good deal!! I have told my sisters and brother and my extended family knows through facebook about the visit, but it will be a surprise for my parents. I get in late so my sister will pick me up and we will stay at her place. She is going to tell mom that she is babysitting for a friend and I will hide when mom comes over, so it will be interesting to see if she recognizes Emma. I think she will but it will take her a few minutes to put it all together and figure out how Emma got there :lol: I have surprised her like that before and the look on her face is priceless, so I can't wait.

Timeline

I'm quite lucky my family is just a 4 hour drive away. I take a trip up on Friday night, get there at 9:30, leave Sunday at 6 or 7pm. But I don't visit a whole lot, like someone else said before me, you really run out of things to do. It's not like I work there anymore, and there's hardly enough time in the day to visit all of my family. I usually just keep it to my mom, and sometimes my dads place.

We're very fortunate it's just a hop over though. My mom, sister and brother just visited us last weekend!

Edited by chyiochan

That is awesome, Colleens. And congratulations to your sister on her recovery! My cousin had to have her reconstructive surgery created from her belly fat because there wasn't enough skin to use an implant. It looks fabulous! The only thing was she had hardly any belly fat to begin with, so she had to eat a lot of junk food. We laughed at her getting to eat McDonalds without any guilt whatsoever. lol

That would be awesome if I was just a short drive away. You are really lucky, chyiochan. :)

iagree.gif

My next visit will be a quick one in July for an event I am attending in Toronto. Then I will be back for one day to re-pack for our trip to Seattle and BC. My husband has a business trip in Seattle so I will go with him. Once he's done we are taking the scenic ferry to Vancouver Island to visit with my cousins for a few days. Then we have a few nights booked at Sooke Harbour House for some R&R before heading over to the mainland to visit with the rest of my family. SO excited.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well I moved here May 25,2005 and didnt get back to Canada until July of 2009. My husband and I drove from Alabama to Nova Scotia Canada in 29 hours. Straight driving. Thank god Roger is a great driver. Just renewing my passport now so that maybe I can visit NS this summer or fall. Hate being away from my parents and oldest son.

PEGGY & ROGER

3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

K-1/K-2 VISA'S APPROVED IN MONTREAL MAY 2, 2005

K-1/K-2 AOS APPROVED IN ATLANTA MAY 17, 2006

10 year GC Approved - APRIL 16th ,2009 - Peggy and Jonathan's......

Still waiting for our cards...Had to file I-90 as they sent them to the wrong address.

March 9th, 2010, Received GC that has been lost in the mail for 10 months. Still waiting for my son's that is lost as well.

Filed Waiver for my son's 10 year GC and it was approved. He finally received his GC after its been missing for 2 years.

Thanking God this is over for 10 years.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is awesome, Colleens. And congratulations to your sister on her recovery! My cousin had to have her reconstructive surgery created from her belly fat because there wasn't enough skin to use an implant. It looks fabulous! The only thing was she had hardly any belly fat to begin with, so she had to eat a lot of junk food. We laughed at her getting to eat McDonalds without any guilt whatsoever. lol

That would be awesome if I was just a short drive away. You are really lucky, chyiochan. :)

Thanks Krikit...they ended up using the fat and skin off of her back. She will have to go in in about another 6 months once the swelling has gone down to get the other side to "match up" :lol: She has been release from the cancer center so that is a very good sign!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.