babaa

2010 TAX ? whats the best way ? Extend or Single or Married

36 posts in this topic

The Only Reason i brought it up is yesterday I talked with IRS. They read this also.

Moreover it says if you are going to be eligible to file for SSN than dont file for ITIN. SO technically in future our spouse will be , correct ?

Or at this point they wont , so just go ahead and do it.

I went to IRS Assistance center and the tax auditor told me I had to file either married filing jointly or married filing seperately. We are married thus can not file single. My spouse sent me signed W7 and 1040 form with the notorized copy of passport and I submitted them to IRS authorized personel to get verified. She returned me all the copies of the documents with IRS stamp "IRS received". I hope this might help.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I went to IRS Assistance center and the tax auditor told me I had to file either married filing jointly or married filing seperately. We are married thus can not file single. My spouse sent me signed W7 and 1040 form with the notorized copy of passport and I submitted them to IRS authorized personel to get verified. She returned me all the copies of the documents with IRS stamp "IRS received". I hope this might help.

Hi,

So let me be sure of what you said :-

1) You filed your own taxes or they did it for you ?

2) Your Wife signed W-7 and also the 1040 Tax documents if you filed it using turbotax before you went to the IRS office.

3) Take a Notarized Copy of Passport ( is it ok if notarized from india ) ?

4) Any other proof they require ?

thanks in advance ,

yogi

Hi,

So let me be sure of what you said :-

1) You filed your own taxes or they did it for you ?

2) Your Wife signed W-7 and also the 1040 Tax documents if you filed it using turbotax before you went to the IRS office.

3) Take a Notarized Copy of Passport ( is it ok if notarized from india ) ?

4) Any other proof they require ?

thanks in advance ,

yogi

I went to one of the tax assistance center to file my tax. Since this is the first time i am filing married filing jointly, the return has to be paper based. Tax preparer prepared taxes ((using tax software) and printed the 1040. Then I transferred all the numbers from printed 1040 to one, that was signed by my wife and sent it to me (blank 1040 signed by wife).

Yes, w7 has to be signed by spouse.

Notorized copy of pasport is enough

Signed statement that we want to file jointly

Take 1040, w7, notorized copy of passport ,and statement to IRS assistance center and let them examine your documents. When they accept your document, you will get a copy of each with the stamp on it saying "IRS Recieved"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I went to one of the tax assistance center to file my tax. Since this is the first time i am filing married filing jointly, the return has to be paper based. Tax preparer prepared taxes ((using tax software) and printed the 1040. Then I transferred all the numbers from printed 1040 to one, that was signed by my wife and sent it to me (blank 1040 signed by wife).

Take 1040, w7, notorized copy of passport ,and statement to IRS assistance center and let them examine your documents. When they accept your document, you will get a copy of each with the stamp on it saying "IRS Recieved"

Perfect .. sounds good...

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

From W7 instructions:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

Have the copies notarized by a U.S. notary public legally authorized within his or her local jurisdiction to certify that the document is a true copy of the original. To do this, the notary must see the valid, unaltered, original document and verify that the copy conforms to the original. Consular offices at U.S.Embassies and Consulates overseas may not certify true copies of foreign public documents and will refer applicants to the foreign authority that issued the document.

Have the copies notarized by a foreign notary. However, foreign notaries are only acceptable as outlined by the Hague Convention. The Hague Convention provides for the simplified certification of public (including notarized) documents to be used in countries that have joined the Convention. A certification will be issued in the form of an “apostille,” which will be attached to the copy of the document. If the document originates in a country that is not party to the Convention, applicants should have the document certified by the foreign authority that issued it.

India is part of Hague Convention therefore, apostille is needed along with notary.

I am almost out of TSC blackhole.

Marriage : 2010-06-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-07-14

Transferred to Blackhole : 2010-11-02

NOA2 : Feb 15, 2011

NVC:

2/25/11 - received case number, IIN, and gave e-mail IDs.

2/25/11 - Send DS-3032 E-mail

2/28/11 - I-864 (AOS) bill invoiced and paid

3/01/11 - AOS payment status "PAID"

3/02/11 - DS-3032 : Email accepted

3/04/11 - IV bill invoiced (e-mail at 2:30 AM) and paid

3/07/11 - IV payment status "PAID"

3/08/11 - AOS and IV packet sent

3/22/11 - AOS in the system and reviewed that triggered false RFE for IV packet

3/28/11 - DS-230 in the system and SIF

3/29/11 - Case Completed at NVC

4/13/11 - Interview date assigned

5/17/11 - Interview- Approved

5/18/11 - Passport & Visa Picked up from VFS Delhi

5/31/11 - POE (JFK)

visajourney.gif

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

From W7 instructions:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

Have the copies notarized by a U.S. notary public legally authorized within his or her local jurisdiction to certify that the document is a true copy of the original. To do this, the notary must see the valid, unaltered, original document and verify that the copy conforms to the original. Consular offices at U.S.Embassies and Consulates overseas may not certify true copies of foreign public documents and will refer applicants to the foreign authority that issued the document.

Have the copies notarized by a foreign notary. However, foreign notaries are only acceptable as outlined by the Hague Convention. The Hague Convention provides for the simplified certification of public (including notarized) documents to be used in countries that have joined the Convention. A certification will be issued in the form of an "apostille," which will be attached to the copy of the document. If the document originates in a country that is not party to the Convention, applicants should have the document certified by the foreign authority that issued it.

India is part of Hague Convention therefore, apostille is needed along with notary.

I just filed my taxes today (Married filing Jointly) at the local IRS center. They reviewed the forms and accepted it. I included a certified copy of my wife's passport certified by the US Consulate in Mumbai, India. You have to pay the US Consulate for certifying the photocopy of foreign passport. The IRS agent told me (and it is mentioned on IRS website, link below) that IRS accepts a certified copy of passport from consulates/embassies instead of locally notarized copy with apostille.

http://www.irs.gov/b...d=96690,00.html

Edited by aapstar1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.