jingo

Visiting Fiance in US!

23 posts in this topic

This topic is discussed over and over. Out of curiosity I submitted the question on the CBP website two years ago. I got an email response from Andrea at CBP. It's the same advice that's repeated on VJ often.

In order to enter the U.S. while a K-1 Visa is being processed, you will have to convince the admitting U.S. CBP Officer that you are simply visiting the U.S. rather than attempting to enter for immigration purposes before your visa is granted. In order to do this, you will need to provide documents to verify that you have very strong ties to your home country. All of the following documents should be used to accomplish this:

Deed, Mortgage Statement, or Rental Lease Agreement in your name

Utility Statements in your name

Bank Statements in your name

Employment Records in your name

Letter from employer stating that you are expected back to work on a certain date

It is also advised that you have a roundtrip ticket and pack very lightly for a short trip to the U.S. The purpose of this is to prove that you have strong ties to your home country and are not willing to sever those ties by staying in the U.S. past your departure date as mandated on your I-94W Departure Record, or by circumventing immigration regulations.

Additionally, you should be aware that even with all of appropriate documents to verify strong ties to your home country, the U.S. CBP Officer has the final say on whether or not you will be allowed entry.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

In response to your later message. I recently came to the USA from the UK via Philladelphia. As went through there before thought that there would be no problems. However, I was told by the Customs officer to go to an office on the side. Once there I was told by another officer to get mmy luggage. He then proceeded for a good 2 hours to ask me the same questions over and over ( me giving the same answer over and over !!) and looking through my personal stuff. He even checked emails on my laptop adn text messages on my phone!!. Whilst looking through my personal belongings he came across my qualifications and a resume I was bringing to the USA for when I was able to work. O dear!!!.......another questionning session began and I addimently told the officer that I did not intend to work whilst I was here.He then called my fiance and asked him a few questions too!! By this time I was crying and very upset as I had missed my connecting flight to Charlotte.

He told me I should not bring all documentation with me ( the dicumentation you stated above) as it looks like I'mtrying to work and move to the USA. Why on Gods good Earth would I want to work illegally when I'm going through the difficult and long process of being legal to marry?????

Through my eyes it is very difficult to see the person you love (fiancee) whilst going through the K-1 process!!

king regards Becky :-D

This topic is discussed over and over. Out of curiosity I submitted the question on the CBP website two years ago. I got an email response from Andrea at CBP. It's the same advice that's repeated on VJ often.

In order to enter the U.S. while a K-1 Visa is being processed, you will have to convince the admitting U.S. CBP Officer that you are simply visiting the U.S. rather than attempting to enter for immigration purposes before your visa is granted. In order to do this, you will need to provide documents to verify that you have very strong ties to your home country. All of the following documents should be used to accomplish this:

Deed, Mortgage Statement, or Rental Lease Agreement in your name

Utility Statements in your name

Bank Statements in your name

Employment Records in your name

Letter from employer stating that you are expected back to work on a certain date

It is also advised that you have a roundtrip ticket and pack very lightly for a short trip to the U.S. The purpose of this is to prove that you have strong ties to your home country and are not willing to sever those ties by staying in the U.S. past your departure date as mandated on your I-94W Departure Record, or by circumventing immigration regulations.

Additionally, you should be aware that even with all of appropriate documents to verify strong ties to your home country, the U.S. CBP Officer has the final say on whether or not you will be allowed entry.

He told me I should not bring all documentation with me ( the dicumentation you stated above) as it looks like I'mtrying to work and move to the USA.

Your documents were a resume and qualifications to work so I can see how that might be seen as you were coming to hunt for job.

The documents the CBP person who wrote the email listed would have been documents showing you had a job in the UK and your employer expected you back in the UK. And other documents to show you had financial responsibilities in the UK like a lease, utilities, and a bank account. I think your officer maybe meant don't bring job hunting documents. Did you bring things showing you were employed in the UK and had financial obligations? How long was your stay?

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

was the same as you..had a few pieces here and there of my hometimes and the entire K1 file...

inbetween the NOA1 and NOA2 as well :)

POE Minnesota St. Paul

to be honest was very easy for me

Him: Hi

Me: Hello

Him: Asks me the reason for visiting

Me: To visit my Fiancee for 3 weeks

Him: ok then do you have a job

Me: Yes working as a data protection officer

Him: ok

then after that just the general chitchat when everything on his end was getting sorted :)

like i said very very easy experience and all that worry i had was not needed lol :)

Met online Jan 2009

Met in person 10th Sept 2010 (2 weeks)

2nd meeting 11th Feb 2011 (3 weeks)

Service Center California

Consulate London

I-129F sent 10/22/2010

I-129F NOA1 10/29/2010

Check Cashed 11/01/2010

I-129F RFE 11/04/2010

I-129F NOA2 04/06/2011

NVC Received 04/15/2011

NVC left 04/18/2011

Consulate rec 04/28/2011

Packet 3 rec 5/04/2011

Packet 3 sent 05/04/2011

Packet 4 rec 05/27/2011

Interview date 06/27/2011

Interview result APPROVED

Visa rec

POE

Marriage

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey everyone!

This is my first post/reply here in the forum, and I am ridiculously happy that I have all of you to share experiences and give us some advices.

So this is the thing... My fiance and I got engaged last March 17th and we kind of got overwhelmed with all the bureaucracy to get a permission to finally be with your beloved one, so we started to think if it would be a good thing to live together for a couple of months before applying - or while applying - to the K1 visa (I have a valid 10 years tourist visa - I am brazilian). And both of us love the idea of sharing a life apart from all that annoying process. We just want to NOT have to worry about those things for a little while. So that's why I am here.

We would love to know if any of you had the experience of going to the USA before applying, and if you did, when did you go and for how long did you stay? Oh... of course... when did you actually applied to the K1 visa?

Thanks a lot,

Helo.

Edited by Helo&Nate

• 11 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Jingo thank you for your info. All of the information I've found on this site has been most helpful. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

I have a question about my fiance coming to visit for the summer. He is Canadian and I'm from the US. We have just started the process & submitted our I-129F for the K-1. His birthday is at the end of May and for his birthday I got Red Hot Chili Pepper's tickets to the Detroit show cause he lives near the Canadian/Michigan border and we had decided to do a fun roadtrip and make a vacation out of it. His new job allows him work remotely & we would like him to come visit me in NYC over the summer (no more than 90 days). I know he must show ties to Canada and we are prepared to do this. My question is that I was going to drive over to get him and us go across the border together to go to the concert and then drive back to NYC. Has anyone ever crossed the border with their fiance and does anyone have any opinions as to whether this could make it more likely for him to be denied at the border?

We will have the following documents for his ties:

Return flight on porter in August

Hotel in Detroit

NOA1

letter from employers (2 freelance projects)

Mandatory prescription renewal

Phone bill & mail from address

I-129F application info (no whole pack)

Bank Statement of Sufficient funds for the time period

Thanks in advance!

This topic is discussed over and over.

Agreed. And I'll admit, when I was first new to the forum and posted this exact same question, it was met by a bit of... how shall I say... "snark" I guess from some of the senior members. It didn't turn me off to the forum completely, but I know there's a ton of new people every day who experience the exact same situation.

Is there a reason why the moderators haven't pinned a thread like this where people can share their story? I wish I would've found this thread from 2011 when I first joined.

My fiance is visiting for 2 weeks on the 31st and bringing his boys with him. He's bringing a copy of his mortgage agreement/payments, NOA1, letter from the school where he teaches and pay stubs, utility bills, bank statement, medications with his prescription for the next refill and a letter from the court stating that he has permission of the judge and his ex wife to bring their boys to the USA for 15 days in April and 30 days in August (depending on where we are in the visa process). He's packing light, bringing gifts for people but not tons of stuff that would be needed for a move. If he's got the letter in time, he can bring the notice of his next court hearing (where they are getting permission to move the boys when he immigrates to the US). He's made the same trip about 6 times already so border patrol usually just looks at his stamps and tells him to have fun with the family. I'm hoping that's enough and there's no issue now that we're in process. Thanks Nich-Nick! As always you have great advice :)

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.