7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Slovakia
Timeline

Hi Everyone

I have been lurking on the board for a few weeks now and now I`m so confused that I have decided to post.

We are in the process of adjusting from a tourist visa to permanent resident.

We have a lawyer, but so far all they did was send in all our paperwork at the begining of the process.

I`m all confused by everybodies timeline, because I have no idea about things like which processing centre do we belong to, or how coome everybody seem to be receiving texts and emails confirming things. We never receive anything like that.

We received a letter for biometrics, that was done february 17th, but they have rejected it so march 18th I went again. A week later I received a letter for the interview. It is on april 27th.

In the meantime I received the work authorization card and I was really looking forward to receiving my SSN, since in everybodies timeline here I see they have received theirs after the fingerprints were done.

I assumed the second set of fingerprints were accepted, since we have the letter for the interview, but I`m not sure anymore.

So today I called the lawyer to get some answers and to prepare for the interview and she was so dismissive, didn`t answer any of my questions and said to call back on the 19th of april to discuss things. That`s only about a week before the interview... so I`m not happy..

While on the phone I asked when should I excpect to get my SSN and she was shocked that I haven`t got it yet.. turns out I need to go to the SS office and request one. NOBODY mentioned that to us..and since I`m new to the country I had no clue. So now I`m a bit frustrated about what else should I be aware of? (I did go to the office today - turns out it`s a 10 minute walk from our house - I could`ve done it a month ago when I first received the work authorization card)

Anyway...I`m not even sure what my question is..is there anything else I should be doing or should be aware of? Any advice for the interview?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yep, SSN is not an automatic thing, you need to apply for it.

Nope nothing more until an AOS interview.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Fire your attorney.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Go to the SS office (you'll be astounded at the number of people in there who have not even bothered to get out of their pajamas!!!) and take all of your papers, as much as possible including something to confirm your address.

Now here is the trick:

Your SS card can take a while to get to you but there is a short cut to getting the actual SS number. Before you leave ask for the phone number at the SS office, and call back in about 5 days and simply ask: "Has a number been allocated to me yet?" They can't obviously give it to you over the phone but they can say yes or no.

If they say yes, go back to the SS office and you can get a print-out before you get your card which will say something along the lines of: "The following number has been allocated to XXXXXXX XXXXXX"

This will allow you to get on with your life quicker and could save you two weeks, maybe more. Worked for me and worked for another friend of mine from South America.

Good Luck, let me know if you have any questions.

Filed: Other Timeline

Go to the SS office (you'll be astounded at the number of people in there who have not even bothered to get out of their pajamas!!!) and take all of your papers, as much as possible including something to confirm your address.

Now here is the trick:

Your SS card can take a while to get to you but there is a short cut to getting the actual SS number. Before you leave ask for the phone number at the SS office, and call back in about 5 days and simply ask: "Has a number been allocated to me yet?" They can't obviously give it to you over the phone but they can say yes or no.

If they say yes, go back to the SS office and you can get a print-out before you get your card which will say something along the lines of: "The following number has been allocated to XXXXXXX XXXXXX"

This will allow you to get on with your life quicker and could save you two weeks, maybe more. Worked for me and worked for another friend of mine from South America.

Good Luck, let me know if you have any questions.

Excellent advice!

:thumbs:

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

:thumbs: ...agreed, great advice given, pat yourself on the shoulder from us :)

...made me giggle to read about the "dresscode" - and yes, you are so right, when I recently went to get my prior restriction on SSN Card removed (got one initially while on F-1) I encountered numerous people in their PJ bottoms and thick parka jackets (had a nice cool rainy period here) ...

And yes, ask us about advice if you have anything that you are unsure about the interview - who better tell you who things went and what needs to be done then us who been through it ourselves? Saves you money and you get a quicker response, too.... so just post a thread :help: and we'll respond :)

Maxximus

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.