Lena and Igor

Why do they live in different communities?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I agree, it shouldn't matter what language she chooses for the interview. Probably might help slightly if she demonstrated at least some level of English, but it's not going to hurt her if she doesn't. Having a squared away packet and evidence is really what counts. :)

Which language did you wife use?

Alla was asked, by the guy collecting documents in Russian, which she preferred. She said Russian. The guy collecting documentsspoke to her in Russian and repeated everything for me in English. All he did was collect documents. Not necessary, but nice of him. We then sat down for about 45 minutes and chatted with other interviewees.

Alla was called to the window, we both walked up and the guy there spoke to her in Russian and said "Here are your original documents, you are approved, you will get the visa in 7-10 days, go to the Fedex window and pay for the delivery. Do you have any questions?" Then he started to repeat it in English for me...I said "I know, thank you"

How would it have helped for her to speak English?

Alla makes $35 per hour doing interpretations for people getting AOS and citizenship interviews for USCIS. They always get approved (so far) and if they don't it will not be because they need an interpreter.

It is complete and total nonsense that anyone needs to speak English for an interview in Kiev or the USA for that matter.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Which language did you wife use?

Alla was asked, by the guy collecting documents in Russian, which she preferred. She said Russian. The guy collecting documentsspoke to her in Russian and repeated everything for me in English. All he did was collect documents. Not necessary, but nice of him. We then sat down for about 45 minutes and chatted with other interviewees.

Alla was called to the window, we both walked up and the guy there spoke to her in Russian and said "Here are your original documents, you are approved, you will get the visa in 7-10 days, go to the Fedex window and pay for the delivery. Do you have any questions?" Then he started to repeat it in English for me...I said "I know, thank you"

How would it have helped for her to speak English?

Alla makes $35 per hour doing interpretations for people getting AOS and citizenship interviews for USCIS. They always get approved (so far) and if they don't it will not be because they need an interpreter.

It is complete and total nonsense that anyone needs to speak English for an interview in Kiev or the USA for that matter.

Well, I haven't been to my interview yet, but I heard that sometimes they get suspicious if the petitioner doesn't speak Russian (or Ukrainian) and the beneficiary doesn't speak English. It won't affect the decision if the beneficiary is able to explain how she communicates with her fiance.

I think interviewing fiance(e)s in English would make sense though. Students, who are going to spend in the USA no longer than 4 months are interviewed in English, while people applying for K-1 visas have intention of spending the rest of their lives in the USA... So I think it's for their own good to be prepared for an interview in English.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

Well, I haven't been to my interview yet, but I heard that sometimes they get suspicious if the petitioner doesn't speak Russian (or Ukrainian) and the beneficiary doesn't speak English. It won't affect the decision if the beneficiary is able to explain how she communicates with her fiance.

I think interviewing fiance(e)s in English would make sense though. Students, who are going to spend in the USA no longer than 4 months are interviewed in English, while people applying for K-1 visas have intention of spending the rest of their lives in the USA... So I think it's for their own good to be prepared for an interview in English.

Students need to be able to speak English for obvious reasons. Fiancees do not.

Not to say it is not beneficial for a person to speak English to live here, obviously it is, just to say it is not necessary for the interview. Sometimes they ask questions, they did not ask us any and they had no idea if Alla could speak English or not. Clearly, the abilty to present other evidence has more of an influence than the language she speaks. Some people assume that the fact I was present was the reason that no questions were asked but I know of several cases where the USC was not present and no questions were asked...and also where they were present and many questions were asked. No ONE THING determines that.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Not to say it is not beneficial for a person to speak English to live here, obviously it is, just to say it is not necessary for the interview. Sometimes they ask questions, they did not ask us any and they had no idea if Alla could speak English or not. Clearly, the abilty to present other evidence has more of an influence than the language she speaks. Some people assume that the fact I was present was the reason that no questions were asked but I know of several cases where the USC was not present and no questions were asked...and also where they were present and many questions were asked. No ONE THING determines that.

Yep. I was not present when my wife had her interview. No questions asked. She did have a stack of evidence about 15 inches tall though. ;)

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't mean the students, who are going to study in the USA. You have to be a student to be able to get a J-1 visa for the summer. And you have to speak English during your interview, while in the States most of them just stay in Russian communities and never speak English during the whole summer - it's not like I think that's a good thing to do (why you would go to the States for that in the 1st place?), but that's what happens.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Yes, if the USC petitioner and foreign beneficiary of a marriage-based visa (K1 included) are unable to demonstrate the ability to communicate in a common language, that is considered a red flag at the consulate.

More than just a red flag, it's highly likely to result in a denial unless the couple can show some pretty overwhelming evidence that they can communicate.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Lena's English is intermediate. She will be able to demonstrate that she can communicate with me in English. Insightful comments and thank you.

September 7, 2009 - met Lena online
October 20, 2010 - First Meeting in Kharkov
Oct 20, 2010 - Engaged
December 3, 2010 - Filed I-129F
December 16, 2010 - NOA-1 notification
December 30, 2010 - Second Visit to Kharkov
February 8, 2011 - Touched
April 18, 2011 - NOA-2 notification
April 18, 2011 - Petition at NVC
April 25, 2011 - Medical Exam
April 26, 2011 - Received at Embassy
April 27, 28, 29, 2011 - Repeat medical (passed medical)
May 5, 2011 - Packet #4 received by mail in Ukraine
June 17, 2011 - Interview scheduled 9:00 AM
June 17, 2011 - Visa approved
June 18, 2011 - Interview Review posted
July 11, 2011 - POE - Detroit
July 17, 2011 - Applied for Marriage License
July 17, 2011 - Applied for SSN
August 17, 2011 - Married in Russian Orthodox Church - Detroit
November 11, 2011 - Submitted AOS/EAD/AP
January 3, 2012 - NOA 1
February 7, 2012 - Still no Biometrics appointment
February 10, 2012 - Service Request - no Biometrics appointment to date
February 29, 2012 - Infopass appointment Detroit (no Biometrics appointment letter - over 40 days)
March 9, 2012 - Biometrics
March 12, 2012 - EAD card production email received
March 23, 2012 - EAD received
March 24, 2012 - AOS interview appointment for April 24, 2012 (Detroit)
April 24, 2012 - AOS approved!
May 2, 2012 - 2 year provisional Green Card received
June 2, 2012 - First job - Russian Kindergarden in Oak Park, Michigan

Feb 5, 2014 - I-751 sent

Sept 19, 2014 - RFE

Nov 3, 2014 - Case moved to Detroit Field Office

Dec 29, 2014 - ROC Interview - Detroit Field Office

Feb 16, 2015 - I-751 approved after 2nd interview

Feb 18, 2015 - I 551 stamp in passport

Mar 5, 2015 - 10 year Permanent Resident Status

Some of you people are lucky imo. I wish my wife didn't speak English.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

Yes, if the USC petitioner and foreign beneficiary of a marriage-based visa (K1 included) are unable to demonstrate the ability to communicate in a common language, that is considered a red flag at the consulate.

And you know this to be a fact in Kiev? How?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Lena's English is intermediate. She will be able to demonstrate that she can communicate with me in English. Insightful comments and thank you.

Alla was never asked and never demonstrated ANY ability to communicate with me. They never even looked at the stack of emails or phone bills. The person making the decision had NO EVIDENCE we had ever had a conversation in any language and did not ask.

More than just a red flag, it's highly likely to result in a denial unless the couple can show some pretty overwhelming evidence that they can communicate.

Not in Kiev. You ought to know that, but you don't. Hmmmm.

Even though two members here with real wives from Ukraine have just said neither was asked a question. I can give you a list of many more never asked a question. You can read the consulate reviews and see many that were never asked a question.

The person asking the questions was asking about the Kiev consulate and needs specific answers from experienced people. General answers are not useful for consulate specific questions.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Timeline

And you know this to be a fact in Kiev? How?

When Tanya went to her interview her Englsh was beginner at best. The interview was completely in Russian with no problems. It is more important that you can show that you meet the financial requirements.

Edited by Tanya and Barry

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline

When Tanya went to her interview her Englsh was beginner at best. The interview was completely in Russian with no problems. It is more important that you can show that you meet the financial requirements.

Alla did an interpretation for a client at an AOS interview here and they never asked about communication either. They DID ask about her membership in the Komsomol and made a big deal of it. The IO doing the interview was the same one that did Alla's interview and she asked him to talk to her outside..she said "I was in the Komsomol and listed it on my I-485 but you never asked me a question" She said he stopped asking questions about the Komsomol

Never did ask about how they communicated

It is necessary to demostrate that your relationship and visa application is not for the purpose of committing visa fraud, there is no specific requirement to speak a common language or even to be able to speak at all.

SOME consulates in high fraud countries are more difficult to convince than consulates in low fraud countries. Kiev is not Casa Blanca or even Manilla. Provide the documents requested in P3 and you will pretty much be assured to be approved.

Gary And Alla

Vika was asked if she spoke English, and that was the only question for her. The CO then asked me a number of questions about the stamps/visas in MY passport. Things like "Belarussian business visas, huh? We don't see many of those here.", and "how many times were you in Bulgaria before it was EU?". They did not look at (or even take) 90% of the reams of evidence Vika brought.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Vika was asked if she spoke English, and that was the only question for her. The CO then asked me a number of questions about the stamps/visas in MY passport. Things like "Belarussian business visas, huh? We don't see many of those here.", and "how many times were you in Bulgaria before it was EU?". They did not look at (or even take) 90% of the reams of evidence Vika brought.

D@mn Brad, you were all over the place. What business are you in ?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.