iampatricias

Waiting for our passports from Montreal

Passport wait times  

299 members have voted

1. 1. How long did you wait for your passport after your Montreal interview?

• 1-3 business days
    • 4-7 business days
    • 8-10 business days
    • 11-14 business days
    • More than 14 business days - they were just very slow.
    • More than 14 business days - my circumstances were exceptional.
  2. 2. If your wait was longer than expected, what do you think caused the delay?

• The US Consulate in Montreal caused the delay.
    • DHL delivery caused the delay.
    • All of the above.
    • None of the above. Something else caused the delay.
    • None of the above. I was satisfied with the delivery time.

2,640 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for stating that it might take this long, it is giving me some type of hope. My interview was on aug 12th and was approved and was told I will receive my passport with the visa within 2 to 3 weeks. But I been on ap every since my interview, and people who were interviewed with me already gotten back their passport so I guess I should be patient there is a chance I will hear from them soon.

Hi Ray of Sunshine so sorry that you are in the MTL waiting zone.. There have been instances where you are told on interview that you are approved etc and not handed a 221g but then without any warning you are placed on an indefinite Administrative.Sometimes this is based on your country of birth if you were not born in Canada,Sometimes it's your profession. Based on reading other cases in the past They seem to be especially rigid on Tech people engineers and scientists. They do not seem to have any definite timeline. In our case my hubby interviewed on 5/5/2015 and was given a 221g to provide a missing police cert from Jamaica his country of origin even though he had not lived there in 40 years and was a naturalized Canadian citizen. We sent the document on 5/19 but it was not entered in their system until 5/29.. He was on on AP from 5/5 until 6/2 and then he was stuck on READY from 6/2 until 7/29!!! When they changed him to ISSUED .Took us a week to receive the VISA . Thank the Lord after 18 months apart he has been home for 3 weeks now. Hang in there. It's crazy and MTL is really poor in transparency and response. In fact they are AWFUL and SLOW!!! but they usually have a reason for prolonged Administrative Processing,even if it doesn't make sense. :( Pretty much everyone currently on here or who like me have gone through dealing with MTL understand your anguish annoyance and utter frustration but try to stay positive. Praying you will receive your VISA soon

Timeline

Hi Ray of Sunshine so sorry that you are in the MTL waiting zone.. There have been instances where you are told on interview that you are approved etc and not handed a 221g but then without any warning you are placed on an indefinite Administrative.Sometimes this is based on your country of birth if you were not born in Canada,Sometimes it's your profession. Based on reading other cases in the past They seem to be especially rigid on Tech people engineers and scientists. They do not seem to have any definite timeline. In our case my hubby interviewed on 5/5/2015 and was given a 221g to provide a missing police cert from Jamaica his country of origin even though he had not lived there in 40 years and was a naturalized Canadian citizen. We sent the document on 5/19 but it was not entered in their system until 5/29.. He was on on AP from 5/5 until 6/2 and then he was stuck on READY from 6/2 until 7/29!!! When they changed him to ISSUED .Took us a week to receive the VISA . Thank the Lord after 18 months apart he has been home for 3 weeks now. Hang in there. It's crazy and MTL is really poor in transparency and response. In fact they are AWFUL and SLOW!!! but they usually have a reason for prolonged Administrative Processing,even if it doesn't make sense. :( Pretty much everyone currently on here or who like me have gone through dealing with MTL understand your anguish annoyance and utter frustration but try to stay positive. Praying you will receive your VISA soon

Thank you CandAm for your prayers and input about this ap madness, it's good to hear from someone who has gone thru it before. I understand there might be a reason to put us on ap in my end it could be because I was not born here. But I been living in North America since the age of 13, with 0 criminal records. And I been in USA million times and went to school there( did a psychology degree). I have many family members who are a US citizen( dad and mom were also naturalized us citizens) including my son who is dual. My frustration is more so why not just be honest with us then. Better to tell us we will be put on ap and here is your passport back and you will hear from us when we are done. If the CO had said that to me, I would not have sent off my little boy to start grade one there.

Timeline

...and its going on five weeks now. :(

This is so unfair did you try to email them, and see what is happening. Since he said to 2 to 3 weeks I will give them one more week and then I will involve my hubby senator. This is not okay :ranting:

Timeline

Thank you CandAm for your prayers and input about this ap madness, it's good to hear from someone who has gone thru it before. I understand there might be a reason to put us on ap in my end it could be because I was not born here. But I been living in North America since the age of 13, with 0 criminal records. And I been in USA million times and went to school there( did a psychology degree). I have many family members who are a US citizen( dad and mom were also naturalized us citizens) including my son who is dual. My frustration is more so why not just be honest with us then. Better to tell us we will be put on ap and here is your passport back and you will hear from us when we are done. If the CO had said that to me, I would not have sent off my little boy to start grade one there.

"ray of sunshine" truly sorry that you are going through this. Unfortunately all of us on here who have been through this or are going through this can tell you that MTL CO's give you vague or incorrect information on the interview. For example they told my hubby get us the documents and we will issue your visa as soon as we receive the documents!!! Totally untrue..We were stuck on READY for over 8 weeks before we saw status ISSUED. When it comes to the country of birth piece they really do not care if you left yesterday or 40 years ago. If that is one of the countries on their list for additional review or automatic AP they seem to add that to their list of criteria as they do their review. Hopefully you won't be waiting much longer. Hang in there and try to have a good weekend.

Timeline

"ray of sunshine" truly sorry that you are going through this. Unfortunately all of us on here who have been through this or are going through this can tell you that MTL CO's give you vague or incorrect information on the interview. For example they told my hubby get us the documents and we will issue your visa as soon as we receive the documents!!! Totally untrue..We were stuck on READY for over 8 weeks before we saw status ISSUED. When it comes to the country of birth piece they really do not care if you left yesterday or 40 years ago. If that is one of the countries on their list for additional review or automatic AP they seem to add that to their list of criteria as they do their review. Hopefully you won't be waiting much longer. Hang in there and try to have a good weekend.

Thank you:) I did have a good weekend hope you did too. Being put on ap bc of your birth country is just plain stupid especially if you been in the USA and lived there for 9 years it just does not make sense to me. But we will see what happens this week, hopefully good news to all of us who are still waiting.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Joining this thread! Had our interview last Friday, August 28th. Hoping for a quick turnover but it hasn't been touched since Friday. No case created or anything yet, just the message I had when I booked my interview. I shouldn't have read all the horror stories here lol!! Fingers crossed. We have a puppy waiting for us in California! :(

K1 Timeline
USCIS:

04/16/15: I-129f packet sent
04/17/15: I-129f packet received
04/21/15: Electronic NOA1 received - California Service Center
04/28/15: Hard copy NOA1 received
05/22/15: Electronic NOA2 received, case approved!

05/29/15: Hard copy NOA2 received
NVC:
06/08/15: NVC received our petition
06/11/15: NVC assigned case #
06/15/15: Case left NVC
U.S. Embassy:
06/23/15: Consulate received case
06/25/15: Packet 3 received and sent
07/06/15: Packet 4 received
08/24/15: Medical
08/28/15: Interview! APPROVED!
09/01/15: Administrative processing...
09/04/15: Issued..
09/10/15: Visa IN HAND
09/11/15: POE

09/23/15: Marriage

Adjustment of Status:
10/05/15: Mailed AOS, EAD, AP packet (FedEx)

10/06/15: Packet received @ Chicago

10/12/15: NOA1 received

11/06/15: Biometrics appointment
11/19/15: Case status "Ready to be scheduled for interview"

12/18/15: EAD/AP approved

02/10/16: AOS Interview

Joining this thread! Had our interview last Friday, August 28th. Hoping for a quick turnover but it hasn't been touched since Friday. No case created or anything yet, just the message I had when I booked my interview. I shouldn't have read all the horror stories here lol!! Fingers crossed. We have a puppy waiting for us in California! :(

Your turnover should be fine! Most of the cases here who are experiencing long waits are the spousal visas (case creation date only applies to spousal visas as well, your CEAC will update to AP or Issued when it's ready). So don't let the horror stories get to you!

That's so cute about your puppy! I hope you get to be with it soon :)

Spoiler

K1

04/09/15: NOA1

06/10/15: NOA2

09/04/15: Interview - Approved!

09/18/15: Visa received

09/24/15: POE

10/24/15: Wedding!!

AOS

11/12/15: AOS packet sent

11/15/15: AOS packet received

11/16/15: NOA1 for I-131 and I-765

11/18/15: NOA1 for I-485

12/11/15: Biometrics

02/06/16: EAD card in production, AP sent RFE

02/10/16: EAD mailed

02/11/16: EAD combo card received in mail including AP - Service request sent for why case tracker shows RFE

03/16/16: AOS Interview - Approved

03/22/16: Green Card received in mail

ROC

12/18/17: I-751 Filed at VSC
12/22/17: NOA1

02/02/18: Biometrics Appointment

02/04/19: Case approved

02/09/19: Card received

All done, for now. 

Timeline

Your turnover should be fine! Most of the cases here who are experiencing long waits are the spousal visas (case creation date only applies to spousal visas as well, your CEAC will update to AP or Issued when it's ready). So don't let the horror stories get to you!

That's so cute about your puppy! I hope you get to be with it soon :)

Thank you!! That is great to know. Clearly I was confusing myself, lol. Don't mind me! :)

K1 Timeline
USCIS:

NVC:
U.S. Embassy:

Adjustment of Status:

Timeline

Does anyone know where I should call to speak to a person. Ive been waiting 6 weeks now. I read somewhere online that I should wait 60 days past the interview before I contact anyone but I can't find a number to call or even know where to start that process. Thanks for any info provided :)

Timeline

This is so unfair did you try to email them, and see what is happening. Since he said to 2 to 3 weeks I will give them one more week and then I will involve my hubby senator. This is not okay :ranting:

I've emailed twice. Got the same automated response both times even though I sent two different emails. Beyond frustrated now.

Timeline

I've emailed twice. Got the same automated response both times even though I sent two different emails. Beyond frustrated now.

Hi Priya I emailed them yesterday but I did not get any reply but the date on my status has changed but still in AP. Do they update your date status whenever you email them? In your case you should not have to wait 60 days bc you were not giving the 221g form, from my understanding those are the only people who have to wait 60 days before contacting the embassy. There is no phone number to contact Montreal but you can call the DOS @ 202-663-1225 press 1 and then 0. I still did not get a hold of anyone at this phone number but I read a lot of people do and they are able to inquire about the status of their visa. Good luck and I hope you hear some good news soon keep me posted.

Timeline

Hi Priya I emailed them yesterday but I did not get any reply but the date on my status has changed but still in AP. Do they update your date status whenever you email them? In your case you should not have to wait 60 days bc you were not giving the 221g form, from my understanding those are the only people who have to wait 60 days before contacting the embassy. There is no phone number to contact Montreal but you can call the DOS @ 202-663-1225 press 1 and then 0. I still did not get a hold of anyone at this phone number but I read a lot of people do and they are able to inquire about the status of their visa. Good luck and I hope you hear some good news soon keep me posted.

I tried to call earlier today but it went straight to voice mail. I was only working this summer and my job is over tomorrow so I will dedicate some more time to trying to get some answers about what the heck is going on with my passport.

Every time they look at my account the date changes but still no updates, the status is always on "Ready".

Timeline

Does anyone know if I can contact loomis without my waybill? I haven't received yet but is there any other info I can give them? I'm desperate lol

K1 Timeline
USCIS:

NVC:
U.S. Embassy:

Adjustment of Status:

Timeline

After 76 days CEAC website showed Issued for me, on July 28 and tonight I received an email from Loomis. I am not sure if I have to wait 3 days and then I can pick it up, or I can pick it up tomorrow!

After 76 days CEAC website showed Issued for me, on July 28 and tonight I received an email from Loomis. I am not sure if I have to wait 3 days and then I can pick it up, or I can pick it up tomorrow!

hi Mahp , just a quick question did u missed any documents to wait that long or you were approved on the interview date? if you had to submit documents is the 76 days counted after they received your documents? thanks in advance

Timeline

hi Mahp , just a quick question did u missed any documents to wait that long or you were approved on the interview date? if you had to submit documents is the 76 days counted after they received your documents? thanks in advance

Id also like to know if mshp was doing the CR1 or K1? Im hoping its not the CR1 because Im already on week 7 and that would mean that this waiting process could go on for another month or more. :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.