iampatricias

Waiting for our passports from Montreal

Passport wait times  

299 members have voted

1. 1. How long did you wait for your passport after your Montreal interview?

• 1-3 business days
    • 4-7 business days
    • 8-10 business days
    • 11-14 business days
    • More than 14 business days - they were just very slow.
    • More than 14 business days - my circumstances were exceptional.
  2. 2. If your wait was longer than expected, what do you think caused the delay?

• The US Consulate in Montreal caused the delay.
    • DHL delivery caused the delay.
    • All of the above.
    • None of the above. Something else caused the delay.
    • None of the above. I was satisfied with the delivery time.

2,640 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Visa status showed as 'Issued' on February 25. Emailed to check on status on Feb 27 and consulate responded "Your visa should be ready for pick up at the Loomis location you choose".

No email from Loomis. Have called Loomis and CSC and there is no record yet of the visa being shipped.

What explains this limbo where neither know the status of the package's shipment?

*Electronic processing*

NVC

Received approved petition notice on and NVC case number: July 24, 2014

AOS Fee paid on: August 5, 2014

DS-261 completed and cleared on: August 5, 2014

AOS fee cleared on: August 8, 2014

IV fee visible on: August 27, 2014

IV fee paid : August 29, 2014

DS-260 completed on: September 13, 2014

IV package sent by email on: September 28, 2014

AOS package sent by email on: September 28, 2014

IV packaged acknowledge by NVC email on: Oct. 17

AOS receipt acknowledged by NVC: October 17, 2014

AOS checklist received: November 1, 2014 (Dated Oct 31, 2014): requesting correction to Part 6, Item 13 a.1.

Case Completed on: Dec. 24

Interview date: Feb 10

Issued Feb 25

Visa received XXX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Has anyone got their visa in hand lately for K-1? I had my interview on Feb 20th, was told 1-2 weeks. We're almost at the 2 week mark and it still says in AP. :ranting:

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh wow, lucky! I hope you get it soon

Met 2008. Moved in together 2010. Married 2015. Baby Z joined us 2017 . :wub:

AOS Timeline 350 days

May 31/15 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP to USCIS

June 4/15 - Email and text notifications they were recieved

June 10/15 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP Dated June 1

June 17/15- Change of address confirmation

June 22/15- Biometrics appointment received

July 1/15- Biometrics appointment done(5 minute appointment, 8 hour round trip drive <_< )

August 5/15 - Change of address submitted for new location

August 8/15 - Mobile/E-mail notifications for approved EAD/AP :)

August 17/15 - Change of address confirmation after calling in

August 17/15 - EAD/AP Combo card mailed out(To the wrong address, and then lost by USPS)

September 3/15 - Contacted USCIS and was told to re-apply with a new application and fees?! Put in a service request online for lost card, and a complaint

September 8/15 - USPS found & returned card to USCIS

September 15/15 - Ombudsman contacted USCIS

September 17/15 - Card mailed back out

September 19/15 - EAD/AP Combo card finally in hand

September 22/15 - NPIW letter received, dated September 9/2015 estimated 6 month wait

October 13-21/15 - Traveled using AP to visit parents & ship the rest of our belongings out west

November 27-30/15 - Traveled using AP

December 28/15- RFE hard copy, waiting on documents from Canada

January 31-February 7/16 - Traveled using AP

February 10/16 - Sent in RFE, delivered Feb 16

April 16/16 - Service request filed, RFE was never updated online

May 12 - Approved email and status update dated May 10. Service request never was assigned or solved, though.

May 14 - Greencard in hand!

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I had my interview on May 14th and still have not received any word on the progress of my visa as of today (May 28). That would make it 2 weeks total or 11 business days (or perhaps 10 if they observed the Canadian holiday on May long weekend?).

My interview went swimmingly and I did not have any hiccups nor requests for more paperwork. I was even told by the interviewer I should have my visa in my hands within 2 weeks or less.

After checking the status of the visa online, I see I am still in the "Ready" phase. I fired off an email to the consulate to inquire about my visa status and received this reply:

"Please note that your file is with a consular officer for review. As soon as we have an update on your file we will gladly notify you."

I find it completely bizarre that some people, who also had an interview in Montreal recently, had their visa and passport returned to them well under 1 week from their interview date while I see others on here that went on 6 weeks or more.

ROC - July 2017 CSC Filer (I-751 July 2017 Filers Spreadsheet)

• 7/15/2017: I-751 Sent
  • 7/17/2017: I-751 Received
  • 7/18/2017: NOA1 Date
  • 7/20/2017: Cheque Cashed
  • 7/21/2017: NOA1 Received
  • 7/29/2017: Biometrics Received
  • 8/10/2017: Biometics Appointment Completed
  • 2/26/2018: Case Received at Local Office
  • 11/27/2018: I-751 Case Approved - New Card Being Produced
  • 12/04/2018: Card received via USPS. ROC process now complete!

July 2017 ROC Filers Posting Template:

Service Center: CSC/VSC
First 5 Digits from WAC/EAC Receipt #: E.g. WAC17290
NOA1 Date: E.g. July 15, 2017
Filed N-400?: Yes/No
Case Transferred?: Yes/No

If yes, provide to what service center? On what date?: Yes/No; Transferred to NSC (Nebraska Service Center) on August 18, 2018

Approved?: Yes/No

If yes, what was the date of your approval?: October 1, 2018

If yes, did you have a RFE (Request for Evidence)? On what date?: Yes/No; September 1, 2018

If yes, did you have an interview? On what date?: Yes/No; September 30, 2018

Any other information: E.g. Received my 18-month extension letter on XX; Issues cashing our check originally, etc.

The US consulate in Montréal would have observed both Victoria day and Memorial day.

Are you K1 or CR1?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Very important suggestion: YOU ask some questions, too!

Don't let the interview officer be the only one to ask questions, you owe it to yourself to ask the questions noted toward the end of this post.

We had our Montreal Interview in mid-April (2015). Everything was in order, the interview went smoothly. The consular officer (interviewer) told us in clear, unmistakable terms, "we will be issuing your visa," and that we should be hearing about the courier/Loomis delivery to Vancouver within 7-10 days. My Canadian husband was handed the "Welcome to the United States of America" form letter.There were no caveats, and no mention of potential delays. Have a nice day.

More than SIX (yes, 6) full weeks have now gone by, and we have not received his visa packet (including his Canadian passport). Trying to get an informative, helpful answer out of the Consulate, on our own, has proven impossible. Online, our file still says "ready," not "issued." On the phone the Consulate receptionist actually told me to contact my member of congress. I've done that, and am awaiting their response.

Here's the suggested questions:

At the end of your interview, if you are led to believe you are approved (as we were), ASK THEM TO CONFIRM THAT THEY HAVE APPROVED YOU. THEN ASK IF THERE IS ANY POSSIBLE REASON WHY YOU WOULD NOT RECEIVE YOUR PACKET ON SCHEDULE. Ask if they are overloaded, or working on schedule. Tell them you've heard cases are sometimes substantially delayed post-interview without explanation, and ask them why this might happen. If they say it's possible, ask them how you can best get it resolved.

I'm not advocating that you be pushy or combative--that will not get you anywhere. Just polite, and inquisitive. It's good for them to be reminded that people on the outside of their consular bubble talk about their service.

The person on the other side of the glass is real and has feelings. This is your ONE chance for you to connect with someone, inside the machine of your visa journey, on a human level. Take advantage of that. I can only wish we'd had this advice 2 months ago. You can thank me later.

Mind you, I'm no immigration expert--other than the fact that I immigrated (successfully) from the US to Canada over a decade ago, and am now sponsoring my Canadian spouse for the reverse journey.

Chances are the Consulate will do just what they say they will. But YOU could also end up like us: more waiting, being filled with anxiety, emotionally exhausted, and financially stressed ... and even watching job opportunities for my spouse slip by.

Timeline

YVR - thank you for this post and I am so sorry. I had my interview May 22 and am still on ready, even as people who interviewed this week already have their waybills. I honestly thought that at least THIS part would be easy, and I also had a short, good interview and was told I am approved. This is insane!! Those are Canadian passports!! Is there any recourse to get them back via Canadian politicians as well as the Congressperson?? I might stop my whining now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The US consulate in Montréal would have observed both Victoria day and Memorial day.

Are you K1 or CR1?

Thanks for the reply. I honestly had no idea that was the case; knowing this, this now makes my wait: 16 days total (not inclusive of the day of the interview)/9 business days (not inclusive of the day of the interview). I am in for the K1 visa.

If the interviewer had meant 2 weeks worth of business days then I do suppose I have a bit more to wait.

Edited by Trenz

ROC - July 2017 CSC Filer (I-751 July 2017 Filers Spreadsheet)

• 7/15/2017: I-751 Sent
  • 7/17/2017: I-751 Received
  • 7/18/2017: NOA1 Date
  • 7/20/2017: Cheque Cashed
  • 7/21/2017: NOA1 Received
  • 7/29/2017: Biometrics Received
  • 8/10/2017: Biometics Appointment Completed
  • 2/26/2018: Case Received at Local Office
  • 11/27/2018: I-751 Case Approved - New Card Being Produced
  • 12/04/2018: Card received via USPS. ROC process now complete!

July 2017 ROC Filers Posting Template:

Service Center: CSC/VSC
First 5 Digits from WAC/EAC Receipt #: E.g. WAC17290
NOA1 Date: E.g. July 15, 2017
Filed N-400?: Yes/No
Case Transferred?: Yes/No

If yes, provide to what service center? On what date?: Yes/No; Transferred to NSC (Nebraska Service Center) on August 18, 2018

Approved?: Yes/No

If yes, what was the date of your approval?: October 1, 2018

If yes, did you have a RFE (Request for Evidence)? On what date?: Yes/No; September 1, 2018

If yes, did you have an interview? On what date?: Yes/No; September 30, 2018

Any other information: E.g. Received my 18-month extension letter on XX; Issues cashing our check originally, etc.

Timeline

Are you K1 or CR1?

NLR - I know you have been around for a bit. Have you seen IR/CR-1s wait for longer than the usual couple of days for the visa to be issued by Montreal? I am pretty worried.

NLR - I know you have been around for a bit. Have you seen IR/CR-1s wait for longer than the usual couple of days for the visa to be issued by Montreal? I am pretty worried.

Yes. Some wait up to a month or more.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Yes. Some wait up to a month or more.

Thank you for responding!! And these are folks who were told they were approved correct? Not the folks who got the form to send in additional docs, etc?

Timeline

Thank you for responding!! And these are folks who were told they were approved correct? Not the folks who got the form to send in additional docs, etc?

We were clearly told at our mid-April interview that my Canadian husband's US visa will be issued. No additional info or docs were requested. We were clealy told that we should have the Loomis courier shipment in 7-10 DAYS. We are now beyond SIX WEEKS, and nothing.

This is why I'm suggesting that people start asking the interviewer about this possibility.

It is exasperating and exhausting for folks like us who are waiting for no apparent reason. Had we been smart enough to ask some questions, perhaps we wouldn't be living in limbo, and we'd understand. We are paying for life in two countries now, since I've re-domiciled to the US in order to meet that requirement.

Edited by YVRDualCouple

You can always use the online form to contact Montréal as well and if your visa is taking longer then 2 weeks, with no extra docs, I suggest you do so. K1 can take a bit longerthan CR1 and i notice if a male vs female is moving that also takes a little longer occasionally.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.