iampatricias

Waiting for our passports from Montreal

Passport wait times  

299 members have voted

1. 1. How long did you wait for your passport after your Montreal interview?

• 1-3 business days
    • 4-7 business days
    • 8-10 business days
    • 11-14 business days
    • More than 14 business days - they were just very slow.
    • More than 14 business days - my circumstances were exceptional.
  2. 2. If your wait was longer than expected, what do you think caused the delay?

• The US Consulate in Montreal caused the delay.
    • DHL delivery caused the delay.
    • All of the above.
    • None of the above. Something else caused the delay.
    • None of the above. I was satisfied with the delivery time.

2,640 posts in this topic

Received my green card in the mail on Friday. It only took 3 weeks from crossing and they had told me it could be 6 months. Glad something went fast. Now they also said my SSN would be here in three weeks. Still waiting for that. Still can't look for work without the thing. Apparently the green card comes first, then the paperwork is sent to SSN for processing.

Grats on your green card!

And actually, I've seen some people get the SSN first, before the green card.

And if it's been more than 3 weeks from POE for you, I'd suggest going to a local SSA office and applying. Don't wait more than 3 weeks for the SSN to arrive by mail. I waited 3 weeks and when mine didn't come, I went straight to my local SSA office and applied. Got the SSN in the mail 10 days later.

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

FYI for people picking up package in Montreal DHL locations:

1. People picking up package in Montreal should select Dorval if its convenient. Picking another location seems to add another day.
  2. Also it looks like tracking of the package can be started on day 1 without waybill number - Go to website http://www.loomisexpress.com/ca and track package using reference number on CSC applicant summary page.
  3. Waiting for email or phone call or status update on CSC applicant summary page seems unreliable.

In hind sight - it looks like if I had known and tracked package on Loomis website using reference number, and picked Dorval as DHL pick up location - I could possibly have picked up our package on Friday (post-interview 3rd business day) - Looks like packet was picked up from Consulate by Loomis on Thursday at 9:19 PM (post-interview 2nd business day) & was at Dorval on Friday 8:05 AM (post-interview 3rd business day).

My wife picked up packet at Dorvaal, Montreal on 4th business day post interview. POE same day at Montreal airport. She said it was a breeze with very few questions and took little time. My wife arrived home yesterday...Yayyy!

Going to SS office today and apply for Social Security number - not gonna wait for it to come in the mail.

Thanks Saylin & VJers for ur help and input.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys,

My fiance had her interview in Montreal on Aug 12. We called DOS and they said it was printed on Aug 15 but we still haven't gotten a waybill number or any emails or calls from DHL. Any suggestions on what we can do or who to contact next? I've seen so many posts on here that I'm kind of lost. Should I contact DHL or the embassy or should I wait a couple more days? Today is the 7th business day since the interview...

Thanks for your help!

November Filers

K-1 Visa Timeline:

08-06-2010 - Engaged

10-12-2010 - K-1 packet sent.

11-01-2010 - NOA1 notice date.

11-09-2010 - Touch

04-01-2011 - 5 Months!

04-13-2011 - RFE Email Notification

04-15-2011 - RFE Hardcopy (proof that USC is USC, ie: passport)

04-26-2011 - RFE Response Received

04-27-2011 - Touch

05-02-2011 - NOA2 Approved!!! (182 Days since NOA1)

05-11-2011 - NVC Receives Petition

05-13-2011 - NVC Sends Petition to Consulate

06-01-2011 - RFE Hardcopy (proof that Beneficiary is Canadian Resident)

08-02-2011 - Medical Exam

08-12-2011 - Interview - APPROVED!

08-23-2011 - Visa In Hand

09-06-2011 - POE (Ambassador Bridge, Detroit)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi guys,

My fiance had her interview in Montreal on Aug 12. We called DOS and they said it was printed on Aug 15 but we still haven't gotten a waybill number or any emails or calls from DHL. Any suggestions on what we can do or who to contact next? I've seen so many posts on here that I'm kind of lost. Should I contact DHL or the embassy or should I wait a couple more days? Today is the 7th business day since the interview...

Thanks for your help!

I'm not entirely sure about this (take it with a grain of salt) but I think they mail out visas in large batches, so you just might have to wait a few more days... Sorry if that's not very helpful. If the poll is correct then most people do get their visas in under 7 business days, but a noticeable chunk get them after 7 business days as well. You might just be unlucky- it hasn't been tooooo long yet.

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

I'm not entirely sure about this (take it with a grain of salt) but I think they mail out visas in large batches, so you just might have to wait a few more days... Sorry if that's not very helpful. If the poll is correct then most people do get their visas in under 7 business days, but a noticeable chunk get them after 7 business days as well. You might just be unlucky- it hasn't been tooooo long yet.

Yea, that's what we thought. Someone also said that they think they mail them out on Fridays. But if it was printed on the 15th, shouldn't it have gotten out last week?

November Filers

K-1 Visa Timeline:

08-06-2010 - Engaged

11-09-2010 - Touch

04-01-2011 - 5 Months!

04-27-2011 - Touch

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Hi guys,

Thanks for your help!

1.People picking up package in Montreal should select Dorval if its convenient. Picking another location seems to add another day.

2.Also it looks like tracking of the package can be started on day 1 without waybill number - Go to website http://www.loomisexpress.com/ca and track package using reference number on CSC applicant summary page.

3.Waiting for email or phone call or status update on CSC applicant summary page seems unreliable.

Timeline

1.People picking up package in Montreal should select Dorval if its convenient. Picking another location seems to add another day.

2.Also it looks like tracking of the package can be started on day 1 without waybill number - Go to website http://www.loomisexpress.com/ca and track package using reference number on CSC applicant summary page.

3.Waiting for email or phone call or status update on CSC applicant summary page seems unreliable.

Thank you for your reply! I tried doing number 2 and put in the reference number but it said "No record found for this reference number." If I call DHL do you think they can be more helpful?

November Filers

K-1 Visa Timeline:

08-06-2010 - Engaged

11-09-2010 - Touch

04-01-2011 - 5 Months!

04-27-2011 - Touch

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I live out in Alberta, and we were expecting a long wait time. We had my interview on Friday, August 19th, and we had an e-mail from DHL the following Monday (the 22nd). I had my passport in my hand THE NEXT DAY! I was very impressed. Good luck to all of those waiting out there - I hope my message is one of hope!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yea, that's what we thought. Someone also said that they think they mail them out on Fridays. But if it was printed on the 15th, shouldn't it have gotten out last week?

Perhaps try calling DoS again to see if it's actually printed? DoS is unreliable- sometimes they say it's printed and the next time you call they say it's in AP.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks. I am giving it to the end of this week and if not on Friday I am going to the SSN office. When I called the number I was given at the border they said I had to wait and it would get confusing if I went and applied myself as I could end up with two SSN numbers. She had no record that I had even been entered yet.

Grats on your green card!

And actually, I've seen some people get the SSN first, before the green card.

And if it's been more than 3 weeks from POE for you, I'd suggest going to a local SSA office and applying. Don't wait more than 3 weeks for the SSN to arrive by mail. I waited 3 weeks and when mine didn't come, I went straight to my local SSA office and applied. Got the SSN in the mail 10 days later.

Timeline

AWESOME NEWS!!! Her passport is ready for pickup! No waybill number, no email from DHL, no update on CSC...

I decided to email Montreal embassy. I instantly got an automatic reply saying don't email for status of passport or for DHL inquiries. It gave me a link to track courier services: http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/content.asp?section=visas&document=visa_generalinquiries

After trying the Montreal number about 10 times and reaching "technical difficulties" while being transferred to a representative and automatically hanging on me, I then called the toll-free Canada number. The lady said the passport is ready for pickup in Ottawa and gave me the waybill number and a reference number!

So happy and I can confirm we got it within the 7 business day period :D

November Filers

K-1 Visa Timeline:

08-06-2010 - Engaged

11-09-2010 - Touch

04-01-2011 - 5 Months!

04-27-2011 - Touch

Thanks. I am giving it to the end of this week and if not on Friday I am going to the SSN office. When I called the number I was given at the border they said I had to wait and it would get confusing if I went and applied myself as I could end up with two SSN numbers. She had no record that I had even been entered yet.

Yeah, that's why it's suggested to wait 3 weeks, in case one's being mailed. Don't want to accidently get two. Hopefully you get it this week to save yourself a trip to the SSA office and another few days wait time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys, I'm starting to freak out. My interview was on the 8th, they told me I was approved, and as of now it is still pending at the Consulate. Is there anything I can do or any way I can find out what the delay is? I emailed the consulate over a week ago about it and have heard nothing (probably because they say they won't give status) - is there any other way for me to talk to a person that may know whats going on??

Hey guys, I'm starting to freak out. My interview was on the 8th, they told me I was approved, and as of now it is still pending at the Consulate. Is there anything I can do or any way I can find out what the delay is? I emailed the consulate over a week ago about it and have heard nothing (probably because they say they won't give status) - is there any other way for me to talk to a person that may know whats going on??

Try calling DOS and asking. But, I'd suggest calling them a few times and take an average of what they tell you. One might tell you one thing, while another says something different.

And have you tried using your reference number from the CSC site on DHL.ca?

Unfortunately, Montreal has been going through a slight backlog for the past few months where it's been taking longer than usual to get the passport back. Just stay active with calling DOS and checking the DHL site. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.