iampatricias

Waiting for our passports from Montreal

Passport wait times  

299 members have voted

1. 1. How long did you wait for your passport after your Montreal interview?

• 1-3 business days
    • 4-7 business days
    • 8-10 business days
    • 11-14 business days
    • More than 14 business days - they were just very slow.
    • More than 14 business days - my circumstances were exceptional.
  2. 2. If your wait was longer than expected, what do you think caused the delay?

• The US Consulate in Montreal caused the delay.
    • DHL delivery caused the delay.
    • All of the above.
    • None of the above. Something else caused the delay.
    • None of the above. I was satisfied with the delivery time.

2,640 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had my father go in and ask them because he works 10 minutes away from it in Ottawa. He confirmed it and I drove over. Yes, it was sitting there. No phone call, no notice, no nothing.

Congrats to you! How did you ask the local DHL office if they had it? I tried that and they said they couldn't help me without a waybill number, and of course, all I have is the ref number from CSC!

What to do? HELP!!!!

Filed: Timeline

That's great news velvetboxes!

I went in person to the DHL office today. I didnt have a Waybill number, so I showed an ID. The lady checked the documents, but couldnt find anything under my name. Too bad. 2 hours round-trip for nothing. :(

But when I came back home, I had an email from DHL waiting! They have picked-up the passport at the consulate and they are processing it!! I can only hope that it will be available for pick-up tomorrow. I will then be able to book my flights that I had to cancel. But it's too early to get carried away. ;)

Timeline

That's great news velvetboxes!

I went in person to the DHL office today. I didnt have a Waybill number, so I showed an ID. The lady checked the documents, but couldnt find anything under my name. Too bad. 2 hours round-trip for nothing. :(

But when I came back home, I had an email from DHL waiting! They have picked-up the passport at the consulate and they are processing it!! I can only hope that it will be available for pick-up tomorrow. I will then be able to book my flights that I had to cancel. But it's too early to get carried away. ;)

Did the lady give you attitude about the not having a waybill #? Did she really try to find it? Can they just use your ID? Maybe I should go there today. Oh and CONGRATULATIONS ON THE DHL EMAIL!)

Edited by jj&dd

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

No, I didn't get any sort of attitude about not having a waybill number. I simply explained to her that nothing was sent to me from the consulate, but I had sent my father earlier to confirm that there was a package for me from Montreal. The woman there did not really react, but she did take my driver's license to the back and another man came out. No qualms, nothing. He just went to the back, grabbed my package, and brought it to me.

I did ask, however, whether it was common that people come without waybills or tracking numbers. He said sometimes, but it was rare. So, IT DOES OCCASIONALLY happen. In my case obviously, it did.

Noeil, congratulations on receiving that e-mail. :) At least you can rest easy somewhat until it reaches your hands.

jj&dd, chances are that the person who spoke to at DHL was having a bad day. Next time, I would have requested to talk to a supervisor and even brought some immigration paperwork with you to prove you're waiting for the passport. Then again, I'm not the type to take nonsense from others... lol

fj4km4.png

K-1 Visa Timeline
07/15/05: Met for the first time in Ontario, Canada. <3
07/21/10: I-129F sent to Vermont Service Center
07/29/10: I-129F NOA1 received (Approved! biggrin.png)
02/02/11: I-129F NOA2 received (No RFEs biggrin.png)
02/05/11: NVC received
02/09/11: NVC left
02/19/11: Consulate received
03/05/11: Packet 3 received
03/15/11: Packet 3 sent
03/31/11: Packet 4 received
07/26/11: Interview at consulate in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
08/04/11: Visa received
08/07/11: US Entry (from Ottawa to Chicago. No issues at all. biggrin.png)
08/19/11: Married! Finally!

K-1 AOS Timeline
08/21/11: Courthouse visit to get marriage certificate
08/30/11: Applied for SS card
09/06/11: I-485 and I-785 sent to Chicago Service Center
09/09/11: NOA received for both I-485 and I-785
09/26/11: Received SS card
11/03/11: Biometrics appointment date in Nashville, Tennessee
11/11/11: RFE received for birth certificate
11/15/11: National Benefits Center receives required documentation for RFE
11/25/11: AOS case transferred
12/02/11: EAD (I-785) approved! Yay! Time to work! biggrin.png
12/14/11: EAD card received in the mail. <3
03/09/12: Permanent residency status approved. Card in production!
03/11/12: Permanent resident card in hand. biggrin.png

Please look at timeline for remainder of info!

Filed: Timeline

In my case, the lady DHL gave me attitude. She told me that the system works with waybill numbers, blablabla... She still asked for my ID and went to check the documents in the backroom. I guess she didnt like it when I told her that someone had received any email or phone call and had had to come in person to the office to get their passport. Yes, that's you velvetboxes ;)

But in the end, attitude or not, she looked for my passport. And that's what mattered at the time.

Timeline

In my case, the lady DHL gave me attitude. She told me that the system works with waybill numbers, blablabla... She still asked for my ID and went to check the documents in the backroom. I guess she didnt like it when I told her that someone had received any email or phone call and had had to come in person to the office to get their passport. Yes, that's you velvetboxes ;)

But in the end, attitude or not, she looked for my passport. And that's what mattered at the time.

OK...thanks for the quick response!

No, I didn't get any sort of attitude about not having a waybill number. I simply explained to her that nothing was sent to me from the consulate, but I had sent my father earlier to confirm that there was a package for me from Montreal. The woman there did not really react, but she did take my driver's license to the back and another man came out. No qualms, nothing. He just went to the back, grabbed my package, and brought it to me.

I did ask, however, whether it was common that people come without waybills or tracking numbers. He said sometimes, but it was rare. So, IT DOES OCCASIONALLY happen. In my case obviously, it did.

Noeil, congratulations on receiving that e-mail. :) At least you can rest easy somewhat until it reaches your hands.

jj&dd, chances are that the person who spoke to at DHL was having a bad day. Next time, I would have requested to talk to a supervisor and even brought some immigration paperwork with you to prove you're waiting for the passport. Then again, I'm not the type to take nonsense from others... lol

Awesome, I guess I'll be more assertive and try again!

Oh my goodness, I can't tell you how great I feel reading this. Here's a link to my situation: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/322962-canadian-cr1-refusal-at-todays-interview-in-montreal-needs-additional-documentation/

But the long and the short of it I was required to submit my husbands 2010 tax documents after yesterdays interview. DHL is showing that it was received by the MTL consulate this morning. I'm hoping the review and approval will be as quick as yours. Any tips or any follow up from your end you care to share?

I might actually be able to sleep tonight! Thank you so much for posting this good news.

Jade

Oh my goodness, I can't tell you how great I feel reading this. Here's a link to my situation: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/322962-canadian-cr1-refusal-at-todays-interview-in-montreal-needs-additional-documentation/

But the long and the short of it I was required to submit my husbands 2010 tax documents after yesterdays interview. DHL is showing that it was received by the MTL consulate this morning. I'm hoping the review and approval will be as quick as yours. Any tips or any follow up from your end you care to share?

I might actually be able to sleep tonight! Thank you so much for posting this good news.

Jade

Well, if it helps, my interview was on the 5th of July. I was told that everything was in order (except for the joint sponsor package which I did not bring). Then I mailed them that package on the 12th of July (which was received by them on the 13th [http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/320679-sending-documents-to-montreal-via-dhl/]). Later, I get an email from the consulate asking me to send in my passport on the 25th. I sent it on the 26th and they told me that it would probably be out on DHL today :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hahaha! Didn't like how she was told, eh? ^.~ Hey, I will take the credit for bucking the system somewhat. Sometimes, you just have to.

That made me laugh. xP

fj4km4.png

K-1 Visa Timeline
07/21/10: I-129F sent to Vermont Service Center
07/29/10: I-129F NOA1 received (Approved! biggrin.png)
02/02/11: I-129F NOA2 received (No RFEs biggrin.png)
02/05/11: NVC received
02/09/11: NVC left
02/19/11: Consulate received
03/05/11: Packet 3 received
03/15/11: Packet 3 sent
03/31/11: Packet 4 received
07/26/11: Interview at consulate in Montreal (APPROVED!!)
08/04/11: Visa received

K-1 AOS Timeline
08/21/11: Courthouse visit to get marriage certificate
08/30/11: Applied for SS card
09/06/11: I-485 and I-785 sent to Chicago Service Center
09/09/11: NOA received for both I-485 and I-785
09/26/11: Received SS card
11/03/11: Biometrics appointment date in Nashville, Tennessee
11/11/11: RFE received for birth certificate
11/15/11: National Benefits Center receives required documentation for RFE
11/25/11: AOS case transferred
12/02/11: EAD (I-785) approved! Yay! Time to work! biggrin.png
12/14/11: EAD card received in the mail. <3
03/09/12: Permanent residency status approved. Card in production!
03/11/12: Permanent resident card in hand. biggrin.png

Please look at timeline for remainder of info!

Timeline

Hey everybody, just got the email from DHL, it has now left Montreal...enroute to BC. I wonder how long that will take? Can hardly wait to be down with my hubby in our beautiful new home!!! The journey is almost over!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Thank you to all you other VJer's you have really helped me out over the past year!

Good news all around all of a sudden. :)

I got my passport today and booked my tickets. Off to visit my family in France tomorrow and POE in Houston on Aug 15th!

Good luck to ya'll!

Congrats!!! :dance:

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Timeline

Well, if it helps, my interview was on the 5th of July. I was told that everything was in order (except for the joint sponsor package which I did not bring). Then I mailed them that package on the 12th of July (which was received by them on the 13th [http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/320679-sending-documents-to-montreal-via-dhl/]). Later, I get an email from the consulate asking me to send in my passport on the 25th. I sent it on the 26th and they told me that it would probably be out on DHL today :-)

That's great news! That's like 2 weeks from the time you sent the requested documents! Much quicker then I would have expected.

I called DOS today and confirmed that my package was received yesterday (and logged). I asked if this meant if it was just received at the consulate or if it went to a real live person. The DOS agent was so sweet - she laughed and said that "yes, that means it was received by a real live person". So I'm assuming that means it's being reviewed right now?

Did you just wait to hear from them via email or did you make calls to DOS yourself and if so, were they accurate?

Thanks for sharing your story and updates!

Jade

That's great news! That's like 2 weeks from the time you sent the requested documents! Much quicker then I would have expected.

I called DOS today and confirmed that my package was received yesterday (and logged). I asked if this meant if it was just received at the consulate or if it went to a real live person. The DOS agent was so sweet - she laughed and said that "yes, that means it was received by a real live person". So I'm assuming that means it's being reviewed right now?

Did you just wait to hear from them via email or did you make calls to DOS yourself and if so, were they accurate?

Jade

Timeline

So I called DOS a couple of times, they were useless...virtually no info other than its been printed. Of course I was checking my email every 5 minutes or so over the past few days...still in shock that we can finally make plans and have a timeline without having to wait on someone else!

Edited by jj&dd

Jade

Jade

I don't want to criticize, but the DOS is actually just a chance game. Some people will be more helpful than others and you might actually find out what is happening. Others will be so stubborn and tell you it is in "Administrative processing", and if you ask a followup question, they will actually REPEAT the previous sentence. I still have not received any email from DHL yet. Will wait till monday afternoon before I contact the consulate again. To answer your other question I was in regular email contact with the montreal consulate and I asked them about the status of my case. It took them a few days, but they responded to every email.

Timeline

I don't want to criticize, but the DOS is actually just a chance game. Some people will be more helpful than others and you might actually find out what is happening. Others will be so stubborn and tell you it is in "Administrative processing", and if you ask a followup question, they will actually REPEAT the previous sentence. I still have not received any email from DHL yet. Will wait till monday afternoon before I contact the consulate again. To answer your other question I was in regular email contact with the montreal consulate and I asked them about the status of my case. It took them a few days, but they responded to every email.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. And for your honesty. I just want to know that we're officially approved, I can handle the wait time for the actual Visa.

Keep us posted around when you actually get your Visa and passport back.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.