Critsplace

dual citizen trying to file for k-1

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of sending my I-129F package and i'm on the last leg of finishing the package. My question is, I'm a dual citizen. I'm a filipino Citizen and an American Citizen. I was born here in the United States but since i went to school over there in the Philippines, i became a dual citizen. Will this by any way affect my petition? I'm basically using my American Citizenship all the time but i do have a philippine passport. And i have about 3 stamps on my philippine passport. should i include that in my proof of being together or will it just jeopordize my filing? All i have is my philippine passport and nothing else to support my dual citizenship. (i don't have the certificate of naturalization because it was lost in a flood.) Thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of sending my I-129F package and i'm on the last leg of finishing the package. My question is, I'm a dual citizen. I'm a filipino Citizen and an American Citizen. I was born here in the United States but since i went to school over there in the Philippines, i became a dual citizen. Will this by any way affect my petition? I'm basically using my American Citizenship all the time but i do have a philippine passport. And i have about 3 stamps on my philippine passport. should i include that in my proof of being together or will it just jeopordize my filing? All i have is my philippine passport and nothing else to support my dual citizenship. (i don't have the certificate of naturalization because it was lost in a flood.) Thanks.

You have to be a USC to petition for a fiance visa, so what do you think?

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

So what's your question? Are you wanting to petition for a fiance/e but you don't have proof of your American citizenship?

If so, there's a way to recoup it.

"

Are you a naturalized citizen or derivative citizen?

You can use your original Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship as proof of citizenship. If you have lost either of your certificates, you can apply for a replacement using Form N-565. The instructions to N-565 explain how to file and the process in greater detail. You can access both the form and instructions from the “Related Links” section in the upper right corner of this page. If you do not have Web access at home or work, check with your public library, or you can order a form by telephone by calling the USCIS forms request line at 1-800-870-3676."

From http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=01110952c80c1210VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=a2ec6811264a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
And i have about 3 stamps on my philippine passport. should i include that in my proof of being together or will it just jeopordize my filing?

Is this the key question - will the USC's showing a Philippino passport with entrance/exit stamps as proof of having met within the last 3 years affect filing the petition as a USC?

Or are you saying you don't have ANY proof of your US citizenship - no passport, certificate, nothing?

Edited by iampatricias

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

I didn't even think of that point. CBP prefers US citizens to enter the country on US passports. But I guess you can't present what you don't have. At any rate, getting a replacement natz certificate would allow you to apply for a US passport.

SA4userbar.jpg

It shouldn't affect the petition at all as long as you show CLEARLY you are a US citizen. Don't you have a US passport?? If not how can you prove USC???

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

If you were born in the U.S., then you are a U.S. citizen. Your U.S. birth certificate is all you need. You can obtain a certified copy of the birth certificate from the vital statistics bureau in the State where you were born.

NATURALIZATION

02/25/2014 - Eligibility date.

03/03/2014 - N-400 package mailed.

03/11/2014 - Check cashed.

03/14/2014 - NOA received.

04/09/2014 - Biometrics.

04/28/2014 - In-Line for Interview - 6 hours later Interview Scheduled!!

05/02/2014 - Interview Letter received. (Mailed on 29 April)

05/26/2014 - 3 year anniversary.

06/02/2014 - Interview. PASSED!

09/11/2014 - Oath Ceremony.

09/16/2014 - Updated driver licence and registered to vote.

10/08/2014 - Updated Social Security

10/14/2014 - Applied for U.S. Passport

10/27/2014 - U.S. Passport arrived in mail (13 days - DID NOT expedite)

10/30/2014 - Naturalization Certificate arrived in mail (was not folded)

MY IMMIGRATION JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY FINISHED!!

Timeline

Thanks everyone but I think some didn't understand what I was trying to say. I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN. I was born and raised here. I was just asking because I was planning to put the stamps on my philippine passport in my 1-129 package along with the stamps on my US passport. And i don't have supporting documents to support my PHILIPPINE PASSPORT. I just have the Philippine passport itself for proof for my citizenship in the PHilippines. My US Citizenship if fine and I have all the supporting documents for that(ie passport and birth certificate). So I was just worried that they might ask me for supporting documents for my PHILIPPINE CITIZENSHIP. Also i asked this to see if being a dual citizen would make me do additional things that may prolong my filing. thanks

Edited by Critsplace

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Thanks everyone but I think some didn't understand what I was trying to say. I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN. I was born and raised here. I was just asking because I was planning to put the stamps on my philippine passport in my 1-129 package along with the stamps on my US passport. And i don't have supporting documents to support my PHILIPPINE PASSPORT. I just have the Philippine passport itself for proof for my citizenship in the PHilippines. My US Citizenship if fine and I have all the supporting documents for that(ie passport and birth certificate). So I was just worried that they might ask me for supporting documents for my PHILIPPINE CITIZENSHIP. Also i asked this to see if being a dual citizen would make me do additional things that may prolong my filing. thanks

Why would they? the US doesn't recognized other citizenship, as long as you present proof of being a US Citizen thats all is needed for your application, your Philippines citizenship has nothing to do in this process. Remember when entering the US you will need your US Passport, not the one from the Philippines.

Having dual-citizenship wont affect your petitions, the USCIS doesn't ask in any of the forms to list other citizenship, only proof of being a USC and you good to go.

Edited by katiemanny

AOS TIMELINE

AOS package mailed on 12/16/08

AOS package delivered on 12/19/08

Check cashed on 12/26/08

NOA1 received on 12/30/08

Biometrics on 01/20/09

AOS interview on 04/30/09

EAD Card production ordered on 03/17/09

EAD Card received on 03/21/09

AOS interview APPROVED on 04/30/09

Card production ordered on 05/27/09

Welcome letter received on 06/05/09

Card production ordered again on 06/15/09

Permanent Resident Card received on 07/09/09

I-751 ROC TIMELINE

I-751 package mailed on 02/28/2011

I-751 package delivered on 03/02/2011

Check payment cashed on 03/04/2011

NOA1 received on 03/08/2011

Biometrics appointment on 04/05/2011

Card production ordered on 05/06/2011

I-751 Petition Approved on 05/06/2011

Approval letter received on 05/12/2011

Green Card finally received on 07/29/2011

Timeline

Yeah, I can't think of a reason the USCIS would requir additional proof of your PI citizenship, and I guess (but I don't know for sure) that if you include a copy of your bio page and relevant passport pages from your PI passport that this would be counted as primary evidence, as long as the dates on the stamps fit within the previous 2 years of filing... even though the US doesn't recognize additional citizenship, I can't imagine they'd write off passport stamps in another country's passport as 'unofficial'... but I'm just guessing... sorry!

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

April 5, 2011 - Medical

Timeline

Allright. Thanks for the input everyone. I have another question but really off topic. How do i prepare my package to present to USCIS? by presenting I mean do I make it like a book where I write numbers on all the pages and make a table of contents? and i've read that i should two hole punch the whole thing and use a ASCOS fastener. Can someone give me a site or a reply on how to prepare the whole package. (I have all the documents i need already, i just need to put them in order. And i have a cover letter that i used from this website and i followed that) Thanks for all your help. I hope that when i'm done with this, i could help others as well going through the K-1 process.

Timeline

There is no formal way to do this, but use paperclips or fasteners for documents that come in sets if you really want to.

You don't have to number everything but a cover letter that works kind of like a table of contents I think is appreciated. It makes the USCIS' job easier than if they're digging through a pile of paper looking for a foreign birth certificate and elsewhere for the accompanying translation, for example.

I've heard some folks use sticky flags to identify the different sections/documents.

In any case, a binder is not necessary, and staples are discouraged. The rest is pretty much up to you.

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

April 5, 2011 - Medical

Timeline

It's okay - I've heard worse.

Just remember to get tracking for it when you send it to Texas so you know it was received.

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

April 5, 2011 - Medical

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.