Becky and Jim

I-134 Joint Sponsor Question

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Everyone!

I'm putting together my I-134 paperwork to send to my fiancee in England. My mother has agreed to be my joint sponsor. She has already had her I-134 notorized. I've collected her bank statement and a transcript of her most recent tax return. She is self-employed, so there are no pay stubs or employment letter.

My question has to do with the fact that she is married. I read on the London Embassy web site that if a sponsor files a joint tax return, then the spouse has to also sign the affidavit.

Does anyone know how that would work? There's only enough room on the I-134 for the name of one sponsor. And the affidavit has only one line for one signature. My mom's husband in my step-father, and I'm not asking him to be my sponsor, so I don't see why he should have to sign the affidavit.

Has anyone else encountered this situation?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I have heard of the co-sponsor writing a letter stating that they are willing and able to be your co-sponsor, then signing the letter in front of a notary.

The I-134 is filled out by you.

Attach that letter to the affidavit, along with the additional financial documents.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Yu and Dan

Thanks for your response. I did complete the I-134 for myself and have all my supporting documents. The co- sponsor, according to what I read, can also complete the I-134 OR write a letter. Do you think that if the co-sponsor is married then the only option is to write the letter and not use the I-134?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Yu and Dan

Thanks for your response. I did complete the I-134 for myself and have all my supporting documents. The co- sponsor, according to what I read, can also complete the I-134 OR write a letter. Do you think that if the co-sponsor is married then the only option is to write the letter and not use the I-134?

The letter should work, I read about the letter in book "Fiancé & Marriage Visas: A Couple's Guide to U.S. Immigration" published by NOLO

At the point you do your AOS and still needs co-sponsor then you use I-864, and I-864A

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the co-sponsor needed to fill out a I-134 too and submit the applicable supporting documents, as well as proof of citizenship. I think that it makes sense the spouse of the co-sponsor would have to sign it too because of marital property (if applicable).

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=21122&hl=

I only offer advice - not even legal. Just the plain and simple kind.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Hi Mew,

I understand what you're saying and I agree that it does make sense that the spouse should have to sign, but here's my question: Where on the I-134 does the spouse's information go, and where does he or she sign?

The form is not designed for the information of two signers.

Has anyone else encountered the situation where you had a married co-sponsor? And if so, how did you deal with it?

Thanks Mew and YuandDan for your input.

Timeline
Hi Mew,

I understand what you're saying and I agree that it does make sense that the spouse should have to sign, but here's my question: Where on the I-134 does the spouse's information go, and where does he or she sign?

The form is not designed for the information of two signers.

Has anyone else encountered the situation where you had a married co-sponsor? And if so, how did you deal with it?

Thanks Mew and YuandDan for your input.

I'm only guessing, but maybe the co-sponsor could sign the I-134 and have the spouse write a letter stating that he's okay with its content. Maybe check with the consulate your going through would be a good idea.

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline

Mew,

That's exactly what I'll do! I'm not sure why I didn't think of that first. If anyone would know, you'd think it would be the London Embassy.

Thanks a bunch!

Jim

Timeline
Mew,

That's exactly what I'll do! I'm not sure why I didn't think of that first. If anyone would know, you'd think it would be the London Embassy.

Thanks a bunch!

Jim

Again, it was only a guess. I strongly advise you to check with the embassy so you can be sure. I hope they'll give you a straight answer. Good luck! :)

Timeline (incompleta)

Timeline
If you have a co sponor, you basically have 2 I-134's. One for you and one for the sponsor. Good luck!

Yeah, the OP had that figured out. The doubt was about whether the co-sponsor's spouse would have to sign it and how they'd do that.

Timeline (incompleta)

Filed: Timeline

Becky and Jim,

The I-134 should have only your mother's information on it since she will be the sponsor. Although she might file a joint income tax return with her husband, it should be easy enough to document what portion of the reported income was hers and what portion was her husband's. After all, the combined income shown on the return was determined by adding their individual incomes together, was it not?

Yodrak

Hi Everyone!

I'm putting together my I-134 paperwork to send to my fiancee in England. My mother has agreed to be my joint sponsor. She has already had her I-134 notorized. I've collected her bank statement and a transcript of her most recent tax return. She is self-employed, so there are no pay stubs or employment letter.

My question has to do with the fact that she is married. I read on the London Embassy web site that if a sponsor files a joint tax return, then the spouse has to also sign the affidavit.

Does anyone know how that would work? There's only enough room on the I-134 for the name of one sponsor. And the affidavit has only one line for one signature. My mom's husband in my step-father, and I'm not asking him to be my sponsor, so I don't see why he should have to sign the affidavit.

Has anyone else encountered this situation?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.