OnlyOzzie

Questions on IR-1/CR-1 and K-1

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello there fellow VisaJourney people,

I know lots of you have been through the journey and this websites rocks!! So hopefully I can get some help/advice on my questions because I am ready to jump into the journey but before I did I wanted to get some things clear!!

1. What is better/faster (K-1) or IR-1/CR-1? Me and my fiancee can get married in Mexico (Civil (by court)) or get married here (US). I know IR-1/CR-1 requires to be married (Which we could get married (Civil (by court)) in Mexico before starting to file). But what would make the legalization immigration smoother/faster? Getting married in Mexico and then filing for the IR-1/CR-1 or go the K-1 route?

2. On the IR-1/CR-1 you need to be married. For how long do you need to be married before filing the IR-1/CR-1? Can you get married and start filing process within a few days of getting married? (That is the reason for Question #1. Is K-1 or IR-1/CR-1 is better/faster. Because if IR-1/CR-1 is faster, fiancee and I, can get married in Mexico and then start the filing process for IR-1/CR-1 immediately)

3. On the I-864 Affidavit of Support what is a qualifying amount?? Would $55,000.00 be good enough for baby son, fiancee, and me? How is the amount needed to qualify computed? How is it determined if the earned amount is enough? Basically will $55,000.00 a year be enough to show/qualify for support for my fiancee (Along with my baby son and myself) or do I need to make more money that $55,000.00?

4. What has other people uses to show evidence that bona fides a marriage? I know there a list of what they accept but if you get married and immediately file how can you show any of the items they list?? What is the most common thing on the list that everyone sends with packet (Examples of what others have sent)?

I know these questions might sound mindless but it's better to ask than to later be sorry!! I appreciate any/all help!! Getting antsy to start the journey and have my fiancee here next to me!! :-)

~Ozzie~

Started the IR-1/CR-1 Journey

9/11/12 - Sent I-130 Packet to LockBox via USPS

9/17/12 - Received Text and Email of USCIS Acceptance Confirmation

9/1712 - Received First NOA from local USCIS (Laguna Niguel) I-130 recceived and in process

9/21/12 - Received another NOA from local USCIS (Laguna Niguel) I-130 transfered to USCIS-NBC in Lee's Summit, MO...

2/7/13 - Received email/text that my I130 was approved.

2/14/13 - Received official NOA2 approval notice via mail.

3/21/13 - Called NVC to get Case Number. Case was input in the morning. They gave me my case number.

3/22/13 - Paid AOS and Beneficiary filled out DS-261 Choice of Address and Agent online.

3/27/13 - Emailed AOS (I-864EZ)

3/28/13 - Paid IV Bill Online and Beneficiary filled out DS-260 Online

4/9/13 - Emailed Civil Documents

Now waiting for interview date!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

1. CR-1 is the better option if you can get married easily and quickly (I don't know Mexican marriage laws). It means she will get a greencard upon entry and thus can get a driving license, work etc. Plus it's cheaper. Plus it means her family can be at the wedding.

2. You can petition immediately, if you have the marriage cert- in some countries, it takes a few days or weeks to get that.

3. You make plenty of money (more than double the minimum amount!), so you will be fine.

4. When you are newly married and living apart, it is more about a bonafide relationship. So photos over the years of the two of you, the child's birth cert if he's yours, evidence of you visiting her- hopefully several times- that sort of thing. Keep in mind most of this will only be needed at interview; by that time you will be married half a year or likely closer to a year, and can have put her as your next-of-kin on documents etc.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Question 3:

You can check exact amounts needed here:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

N400

Filing based on 3yrs/USC Spouse. 3 year residency anniversary is in August 2014. Filed immediately after the 90-day early filing mark (May 2014)

05/06/2014 - Mailed N-400

05/15/2014 - Check cashed

05/12/2014 - NOA Date

06/11/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

09/15/2014 - Inline for interview scheduling (was stuck in "Initial Review" for over 3 months!)

10/27/2014 - Scheduled for interview

12/01/2014 - Interview

12/19/2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN!

Agree with everything that Penguin wrote....

We had all the paperwork together and filed the I-130 petition within days of getting married overseas. We sent all our past and planned travel itineraries (Yahoo/Travelocity printouts) and a MS Word document with about 20 pictures and captions of who/what/where/when over our engagement, wedding and honeymoon. The pictures were really the only things that we had to wait a few days for to send out the package, to get friends and family to send some shots from the wedding itself.

12 Nov 10: Married :)

USCIS - California Service Center

18 Nov 10: I-130 mailed

01 Dec 10: NOA 1 (text message & email)

06 Dec 10: NOA 1 (paper copy)

06 Dec 10: Called for service request to expedite - military deployment(s) of petitioner

09 Dec 10: Received USCIS phone call request for additional info

18 Dec 10: NOA 2 received dated 10 Dec 10 (paper copy - no email/website status update)

NVC

16 Dec 10: NVC received package

20 Dec 10: Called NVC for NVC case #, IIN & update email addresses

22 Dec 10: Received email with AOS/IV invoice

27 Dec 10: AOS/IV fees show as PAID

01 Feb 11: Mailed NVC AOS and IV package

09 Feb 11: NVC received AOS and IV package

16 Feb 11: RFE for military records of beneficiary

25 Feb 11: Emailed NVC with expedite request and RFE records

02 Mar 11: Email receipt of expedite request received

07 Mar 11: Email receipt of RFE documents received and under review

15 Mar 11: Called NVC, spoke to very nice operator. Told expedite request not logged in system. Re-emailed expedite request. Called congressman.

19 Mar 11: Sign in failed

21 Mar 11: NVC case complete

US Embassy - London

08 Feb 11: Medical complete at Knightsbridge

24 Mar 11: DHL package delivered

04 Apr 11: Embassy mailed instructions, rec'd 08 Apr 11

20 Apr 11: Interview - approved!

26 Apr 11: Courier package arrived

25 May 11: POE :)

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks Penguin and tea4two...

Ok so I took Penguins advice and went to Mexico to get married (Civil Law Only on April 15th, 2011). So there wasn't a wedding party afterwords and in Mexico Civil Marriage doesn't condone an actual Marriage for the Family (Parents). So there was no honeymoon (Parents don't allow it until you get married by religion). So we have a few pictures taken while getting married at the local court in Mexico. We have a few pictures when we went to go eat with the witnesses and a friend of hers and a few friends of me from Mexico. So would sending those pictures show a bonafide marriage? I know part of the filing the I-130 is to show evidence of bonafide marriage. So what would be the best things to send to show a bonafide marriage?? Also, it asked for a Translated Marriage Certificate (I got married in mexico so its in spanish). Can I translate it? I remember there was somewhere around this site a same document that had some wording about certifying that the document was translated by me and that I certify that I am capable of translating or something of that sort. Anyone have a link to it? I searched and searched an cannot find it.

So questions:

1. What will show proof to USCIS that its a bonafide marriage if I just got married and she is still over there and I am over here.

2. Can I translate the Marriage Certificate and if so how would I translate it (Format Wise - Obviously I cannot duplicate the Marriage certificate to make in in Spanish so how would I format it?? Just lay it out like the Marriage Certificate given to me).

3. Where can I find the declaration that I translated the document and I am able to translate it? I know there was a sample but I couldn't find it.

Thanks to all again,

~Ozzie~

Started the IR-1/CR-1 Journey

9/11/12 - Sent I-130 Packet to LockBox via USPS

9/17/12 - Received Text and Email of USCIS Acceptance Confirmation

9/1712 - Received First NOA from local USCIS (Laguna Niguel) I-130 recceived and in process

9/21/12 - Received another NOA from local USCIS (Laguna Niguel) I-130 transfered to USCIS-NBC in Lee's Summit, MO...

2/7/13 - Received email/text that my I130 was approved.

2/14/13 - Received official NOA2 approval notice via mail.

3/21/13 - Called NVC to get Case Number. Case was input in the morning. They gave me my case number.

3/22/13 - Paid AOS and Beneficiary filled out DS-261 Choice of Address and Agent online.

3/27/13 - Emailed AOS (I-864EZ)

3/28/13 - Paid IV Bill Online and Beneficiary filled out DS-260 Online

4/9/13 - Emailed Civil Documents

Now waiting for interview date!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.