Captain Hammer

How to have a rational discussion

126 posts in this topic

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

By this logic there have been few if any discussion here by anyone. Having said that, and noting my own predilection for stating absolutes without giving any ground, the goals here are more gotcha moments and public ridicule than anything else. That is why P & R was separated from OT.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

One of the problems is that people aren't willing to admit when they are wrong or even consider trying to reach compromises. Some here purposely want make the other people look bad. It's a sport, they won't change.

Rational discussion would also mean you don't generalize an entire political party or group of people as one way. As we see here in discussions, some really enjoy making the other side look bad so why would they want to stop if they enjoy doing it? If it's all for a laugh, it's not going to change.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

shouldn't this be in site discussions?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Republican, Democrat, Independent....God bless you all!

(now it has a religious and political tone, so leave it! :P)

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

stfu-noob.jpg

:lol:...noobs...brings back great memories :thumbs:

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

One of the problems is that people aren't willing to admit when they are wrong or even consider trying to reach compromises. Some here purposely want make the other people look bad. It's a sport, they won't change.

Rational discussion would also mean you don't generalize an entire political party or group of people as one way. As we see here in discussions, some really enjoy making the other side look bad so why would they want to stop if they enjoy doing it? If it's all for a laugh, it's not going to change.

The irony is that people who talk in absolutes and extremes look even more foolish than the people they think they have "zinged." Once you start arguing in terms of "all x are y," it's over. You've torpedoed your point and undermined your credibility.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

shouldn't this be in site discussions?

Given the tone I've seen in this forum, I thought it was fitting. Feel free to move it if you think it fits better somewhere else, I'm easy like Sunday morning. :D

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The irony is that people who talk in absolutes and extremes look even more foolish than the people they think they have "zinged." Once you start arguing in terms of "all x are y," it's over. You've torpedoed your point and undermined your credibility.

Yep. You're fairly new here and so I guess to some of us who've been here awhile have become numb to it. There is a sort of intellectual fascism that exists in public discourse nowadays. The way that it makes sense for me is that some people find uncertainty too unsettling and so they latch on to a narrative that makes life easier to understand for them. I find that way of thinking imprisoning and embracing uncertainty of life liberating.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It is totally OK to argue about Silly things from time to time. Life is Not "Sugar and Spice and everything Nice. A true Couple will vent their feelings to who they Love and ask for reasurance. Thats What I think. IDK. But, works for me! No such thing as Love without Communicating.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yep. Yet what you actually see is people taking pride in making unjustifiable generalisations against individuals that deliberately and maliciously mischaracterise what they believe in favour of what some preconceived stereotype suggests that they believe.

Personally, I think the moderation is going about their task in this forum completely the wrong way. Yes - you shouldn't have people cussing and disparaging each other, but IMO spending inordinate amounts of time examining the minutia of antagonistic posts across several threads is a waste of time. If you're going to have aggressive moderation - it should go the whole way and require people who participate in P&R discussions adhere to a very specific code of behaviour that limits the use of the forum only to people who can participate without losing their temper and has zero-tolerance for infractions.

Yep. You're fairly new here and so I guess to some of us who've been here awhile have become numb to it. There is a sort of intellectual fascism that exists in public discourse nowadays. The way that it makes sense for me is that some people find uncertainty too unsettling and so they latch on to a narrative that makes life easier to understand for them. I find that way of thinking imprisoning and embracing uncertainty of life liberating.

Same here. I don't enjoy arguing or discussing an issue with somebody who is so entrenched in their own way of thinking that you can visibly see them getting angry at you for challenging their own deeply held world view. Like anyone else, I have my own strongly held opinions, but I readily admit I don't have all the answers.

It might be fun to have some "devil's advocate" threads. Somebody who is typically known for usually taking one side of an argument, to take the other, and vice versa. I mean, if we're resolved to these discussions never changing anybody's mind, then it could actually be fun. :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline

We also have people on this board that hijack a discussion in progress with unrelated comments in an attempt to change the subject. When called on the left turn they attempted instigate they just dance and pretend that they were contributing to the conversation. That is also an example of someone that isn't having a discussion but rather just derailing a discussion in progress.