pattygwen

Certificate showing "single status" if not costa rican?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

My fiance is colombian, and has been told there is nowhere he can get his certificate showing he has never been married in CR?

We thought the civil registry? (He is legally there, but in a state of asking for asylum until our visa comes through. If he stops "asking" for asylum, he will be told to leave the country.) Any non ticos out there ever get a K1 or spouse visa out of CR?

He IS the father of my daughter (a dual US/CR citizen) You would think it would be easy to get this certificate, but I know how things in CR can go....or NOT go rather......I lived there 2 years.....lol

• 2 weeks later...

My fiance is colombian, and has been told there is nowhere he can get his certificate showing he has never been married in CR?

Who told him he could not get the certificate? Since you lived here in CR for two years, you probably know that nothing is impossible here (accept logic). As in most cases that i personally have gone through here, when someone tells me no, i go to the next person down the line, ask for a supervisor, then another supervisor. The answer may still be no, but if you ask enough times you usually get what you need. If there is in fact such a document for none residents. It really is just about being persistent and since he speaks Spanish, he should be able to "persuade" someone to help him. Costa Rica is a funky place to circumnavigate when it comes to government and getting any kind of documents. Five lawyers will give you five different answers and charge five different fees. We have found that we were able to get everything we needed on our own and our Spanish isn't that good. Best of luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.