Yoms

K1 London Embassy question

23 posts in this topic

Thanks Nich-Nick, i am leaning toward your response, but i worry that at that point, it will take longer as the case will then be transfered to lagos and we will have to start over. I am waiting up to speak with the london embassy and lagos embassy this morning and find out what could be done and how long it will take.....also you mentioned that from what you know, everyone on the student visa was given the visa but delayed (put in AP)?

It's really an unknown about how the timeline will play out.

On one hand she's at the point of submitting things to London and perhaps an interview say, within a month. Maybe 4 weeks of AP additional. Could it be longer? Sure.

On the other hand it could take weeks/months to get the transfer actually done. Does NVC have to assign a different case number first? I looked at K1 times for Nigeria since Jan 1 2010. It looked like most had 3-4 months between the consulate receiving and their interview date. Two were pretty quick. If she did London would she be finished before even getting an interview with Lagos? Is there really a reason why London won't do the case since she really lived in the country and was in school there until recently? I don't know but she certainly could show proof of school documents and residence things from England.

Look at reviews of the actual interviews. They are tough in Nigeria. Many detailed questions and reading of emails and questioning the relationship and motives. Some had more than one interview. London doesn't do further proof of the relationship. The questions are totally different and easy. When did you get engaged? Where are you going to live. What does he do for a living?

You've got to work it out because there's not anybody with the exact situation as yours and those exact consulates.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Bummer! i got some private messages that it should take long to transfer to the Lagos embassy (about a month) at this level. I am seriously considering the London embassy still, i sent them an email pleading with them if it will be ok for her to still do the interview there, they replied asking for the case number and so on and i have sent it to them asking them to please understand know that she is not there illegally, she left when her student visa expired and she has a valid 2 year visiting visa now. I pray it won't be a problem and i am expecting their reply, hopefully still today or maybe tomorrow.

i hate unknowns...

Ok, so i called the UK embassy again this morning and the guy i spoke with said there is no reason as to why she cannot finish the whole process int he UK since she has a valid visa to be here and has an address. He said he will suggest that we finish it in London because transferring could take months. So that is what we will do. I also emailed the consular in the UK about the issue with the case information and i got a reply this morning stating that the Immigration visa unit will not be able to continue her processing until she sends in her packet 3 information. They advice that she mails in her packet 3 information to (gives address) and also said she should go take a medical examination if she has not done so (gives a link to medical exam information in the UK).

So from what the email states, i gather it is OK for her to finish there! In the original email i sent to them, i stated everything, and said we would please not prefer to transfer as we have our wedding date set for last week in may and if she can please finish it there. I will have her print out this email sent to me and take it with her also incase she is asked about her current visa.....looking at it, i don't think they will ask...now i have to think about the AP and pray it's not a problem.

From what i have read, it is a security background checking process, if that is just the case then we have nothing to worry about, we have never been in trouble anywhere and we have never overstayed or violated any visa laws. any info on the AP?

...now i have to think about the AP and pray it's not a problem.

From what i have read, it is a security background checking process, if that is just the case then we have nothing to worry about, we have never been in trouble anywhere and we have never overstayed or violated any visa laws. any info on the AP?

Here's a link about security checks. http://www2.gtlaw.com/practices/immigration/newsletter/archives/017/item07.htm

If she has a common last name and studied certain subjects or worked building bombs before then it could take longer.

Another link about clearances

http://murthyforum.atinfopop.com/4/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1024039761&f=4724019812&m=7281096171

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks for the links and replies! she and i have never been in trouble, never worked for the government, fresh out of school students with minor work experience (except me, working for like 5 years now as comp. eng) so if that is the case, i don't think there will be a problem in the time the security clearance thing checks her out....i am feeling much better with all the info i am getting from everyone on here including the private messages. she is in the medical line, studied public health.... :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Thanks for the links and replies! she and i have never been in trouble, never worked for the government, fresh out of school students with minor work experience (except me, working for like 5 years now as comp. eng) so if that is the case, i don't think there will be a problem in the time the security clearance thing checks her out....i am feeling much better with all the info i am getting from everyone on here including the private messages. she is in the medical line, studied public health.... :)

Happy to see you are getting the answers you need and want Good Luck to you guys!!! :thumbs:

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

So she has an address there (relatives)? And she lived in the UK for a period of time and lived there when she applied for a K1? I don't know why she can't list that address as her's if she still is living with the relatives and she is not illegally in the UK. Who did you speak to about this? Are you sure they understood she wasn't just trying to use another consulate randomly as a tourist? Like if my fiance had randomly decided he would just go to France for an interview when he had never been a resident. She was/is living in the UK. Go for it. That is stricly my opinion of your unique case. I could be totally wrong, but I wouldn't switch horses now. Answer questions truthfully---

Are you a student? I have been since _______. I just finished my course but am staying here waiting for my fiance visa case to finish processing.

At that point she is face to face talking with the guy who has the power to approve. If he says he wants Lagos to decide, then she finds out exactly how it should be handled and asks him how he will transfer it . No guessing. No bad information from some helpline worker. No following advice from a Nich-Nick stranger on a forum who could be stupid. She can explain her sincerity that she thought she was supposed to finish in London. She can start crying and try for sympathy. That guy will have the answers and I don't see how he could possibly deny. All he can do is say he's sorry, but he doesn't have jurisdiction to handle her case and tell her what to do.

So my overly analytical self came up with something....with this special case of ours, on the DS230 it asks for present address, and DS156 asks for home address....should we put UK addy for present address and Nigerian addy for Home addy? or just put the UK addy for both? i don't want them to say we lied....maybe put Uk for both addys and attach a note explaining it and the letter from the consular London saying we can continue in the UK.

the uk addy is where she lived as a student until January and it is a relatives addy she is also going to be living there when she returns now on student visa..same addy (UK) was what i used for filing for her, thats even where they mailed her packet 3

Edited by Yoms

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.