Sara Ismail

waiting 5 months for visa!!!

30 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

We've been waiting for my husband's visa since Novemeber (4-6 weeks after the interview date which was 0ct.20, 2010). So now its almost the end of March and we've been waiting for 5 months with no response and no time frame to work around. I dont know if I should go be with him in Egypt or stay here in the states until he gets his visa. We've been away from each other for 3 months and we really want to be together :( I don't even mind the waiting anymore I just want to know how long I have to wait so that I am able to manage my life accordingly. I contacted the congressman, a lawyer, the NVC, the embassy in Cairo but nobody can give ma a direct answer. I'm in the process of sending out a letter to the white house. Any advice?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

According the website of the US Embassy in Cairo, all visa services are still suspended and will be until further notice.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

We've been waiting for my husband's visa since Novemeber (4-6 weeks after the interview date which was 0ct.20, 2010). So now its almost the end of March and we've been waiting for 5 months with no response and no time frame to work around. I dont know if I should go be with him in Egypt or stay here in the states until he gets his visa. We've been away from each other for 3 months and we really want to be together :( I don't even mind the waiting anymore I just want to know how long I have to wait so that I am able to manage my life accordingly. I contacted the congressman, a lawyer, the NVC, the embassy in Cairo but nobody can give ma a direct answer. I'm in the process of sending out a letter to the white house. Any advice?

Im in the same boat as you, but thankfully have not been waiting as long. Was your husband in AP? Did the embassy tell you if his case is pending in Washington? I keep being told that my fiance's case is pending background checks in washington and when they get the approval his visa will be issued, but no one will give me a time frame either.

According the website of the US Embassy in Cairo, all visa services are still suspended and will be until further notice.

If you read further on the embassy website under that link it states that if an applicant has been interviewed prior to Jan 27, 2011 their visa will be processed as normal. These cases are the only visa's they are working on at the time.

~ Our Journey ~

10/27/09 - Met online

04/21/10 - Travel to Egypt to meet in person

05/08/10 - Sent I-129F

05/10/10 - VSC receives I-129F

05/11/10 - NOA1

05/13/10 - Touched

05/14/10 - Touched

05/17/10 - Received NOA1 in the mail

07/06/10 - NOA2 - Approved!!!! :)

07/12/10 - Received NOA2 in the mail

07/13/10 - Received at NVC

07/16/10 - NVC changes embassy per our request

07/19/10 - Told we are in AP @ NVC

07/30/10 - Case sent to Cairo embassy

08/05/10 - Case received at embassy

09/07/10 - Received packet 3 - FINALLY!!!

09/15-10 - 2nd trip to Egypt, returned home on 10/5/10

12/14/10 - Received interview date

01/09/11 - 3rd trip to Egypt

01/12/11 - Interview - APPROVED!!!...but AP

01/24/11 - Returned to the states without my habibi :(

04/06/11 - AP was completed!! :)

05/10/11 - Visa has been issued!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Im in the same boat as you, but thankfully have not been waiting as long. Was your husband in AP? Did the embassy tell you if his case is pending in Washington? I keep being told that my fiance's case is pending background checks in washington and when they get the approval his visa will be issued, but no one will give me a time frame either.

If you read further on the embassy website under that link it states that if an applicant has been interviewed prior to Jan 27, 2011 their visa will be processed as normal. These cases are the only visa's they are working on at the time.

Hello, what i want to understand is, if they do background checks when the case is at the USCIS stage, why do they do it again after the interview :wacko:

Find a job you love to do, and you will never work another day in your life.

us-eg.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello, what i want to understand is, if they do background checks when the case is at the USCIS stage, why do they do it again after the interview :wacko:

More extensive and therefor far more expensive background checks are done on most from the middle east and other "terror list" countries. Because of the expense, they wait until they have otherwise decided to grant the visa before beginning those further checks. If they decide at interview NOT to issue the visa, the checks are not done.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would also assume that within the lengthy timeframe of the petition processing things can change; Such as picking up criminal charges or anything else negative that you might not had during the 1st background check.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I would also assume that within the lengthy timeframe of the petition processing things can change; Such as picking up criminal charges or anything else negative that you might not had during the 1st background check.

True but that has nothing to do with why more checks get done after an interview.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

True but that has nothing to do with why more checks get done after an interview.

Ok is there any information about what extensive checks would include and why are they expensive, just curious

us-eg.gif

Your finger prints are only taken at the consular level, after your finger prints are taken they are then submitted to the FBI finger print lab for review.

Timeline

Your finger prints are only taken at the consular level, after your finger prints are taken they are then submitted to the FBI finger print lab for review.

That's a good piece of information

us-eg.gif

Timeline

Also, the consular has eyes and ears in the country, remember the people at the consular live there full time.

That's true, i am just trying to figure out what could possibly take a long time to check, cause I've seen some people in AP after the interview for months and months

us-eg.gif

That's true, i am just trying to figure out what could possibly take a long time to check, cause I've seen some people in AP after the interview for months and months

When you are in AP, there is an entensive check being done, since most people have spread themselves out thru the internet connection, I suppose they are now checking all social networks linkage along with those 1000's of friends that some have connected to thru their social network linkage Then it's the actual posting of comments that they now have been flagged.

Timeline

When you are in AP, there is an entensive check being done, since most people have spread themselves out thru the internet connection, I suppose they are now checking all social networks linkage along with those 1000's of friends that some have connected to thru their social network linkage Then it's the actual posting of comments that they now have been flagged.

Checking thousands of people just for one :blink: that would take ages lol

us-eg.gif

Checking thousands of people just for one :blink: that would take ages lol

If the check isn't conclusive then it is put on hold. Most normal people don't have 1000's of social network friends, so they won't run into this problem.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.