yailukmuu

Oy vey...what to do?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

You mention an either/or choice of taking a job outside of your career path or going to school. You could do both. There are many folks, including this one, who work full time and study concurrently. Another option is to stay on your career path. Optimism begets opportunity. Many of those who have lost jobs and consider themselves 'unemployable' experience just that. We all win some and lose some, yet those who are tenacious always succeed.

Will someone please clarify something for me? I know about the 125% above poverty income level but I had NO idea that you have to show net worth of 5 years of support in advance... please tell me this is not the case and that I read this incorrectly. I apologize if someone already answered this or if it is somewhere else on this site but I am asking this question in reference to the initial post because I am nearing the time for when I am sure to hear about approval too and I am hoping to learn in advance to avoid any problems due to the affidavit of support.

Thank you in advance!

Met in 2006 in person for the first time!
July 2008 - Relationship is official (3-4 visits per year from 1 week to 2 months at a time)
August 2010 - He proposed! Contemplate living/marrying in Brazil or US
I-129F Sent: 09/12/2010
I-129F NOA1: 10/8/2010 Called to report lack of notice of receipt.
I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy Reissued and received: 10/23/2010 (dated Sept 21st 2010)
Touched: 10/03/2010
Called USCIS: 02/23/10
Called USCIS & Senator's Office for follow-up: 03/3/10
Senator Letter received (verdict = wait 30 days more and call again): 03/07/10
Called USCIS: 03/14/10 (system updated to processing Sept 11th applications)
Called Congressman 03/29/11 - "wait 3 days for a reply..."
I-129F NOA2 E-MAIL & TEXT: 3/30/11
NOA2 Hard Copy: 4/4/11
NVC received: 4/7/11
NVC Sent: 4/14/11
Interview: 6/28/11
AP Processing: Estimate 2 weeks
Package Received: 7/9/11
Confirmation E-mail: 7/11/11
VISA received: 7/7/11

Married: 10/20/11
Filed for AOS/AP/EAD: 12/19/11
Biometrics 1/31/12

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2/15/2012
EAD Approved: 2/16/2012
EAD/AP CARD: 2/24/2012
Called USCIS re: pending AOS so many times lost count
AOS Transfer to Local office: 1/15/2013
Called USCIS & Emailed re: still pending AOS again lost count of how many times
Refiled for EAD/AP 1/18/2012
Received Receipt for EAD refiling for 1/22/2012
AOS Appointment FINALLY scheduled for 3/4/2012

Condition Permanent residency approved and valid through April 2015

Applied to Remove Conditions received 2/18/2015
Oh - What we do for love!...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You mention an either/or choice of taking a job outside of your career path or going to school. You could do both. There are many folks, including this one, who work full time and study concurrently. Another option is to stay on your career path. Optimism begets opportunity. Many of those who have lost jobs and consider themselves 'unemployable' experience just that. We all win some and lose some, yet those who are tenacious always succeed.

When I got my BS in Chemistry I worked about 30 hours a week. When I got my BS in Safety Studies I worked about 30 hours per week.

When I got my Associates degree in Nursing I worked about 10 hours a week, had I worked more I wouldn't be an RN today. "C's are not allowed and if a student gets below a grade of 70 on a mid-term or final, that's it--you're out. The class can be repeated "if" there is a space for you to re-enter the next year. And many schools stick to that regime, my best friend in my ADN study got a 69 on a mid-term and was bounced. Now a decade later, she never achieved the RN because year after year there was no "opening" for her. Nursing courses of study are more like boot camp, you make it or you don't.

Many folk do work full or part time while in college and indeed, there are degree course of studies actually designed for full-time workers. In my area there is an ADN (Associates Degree in Nursing) that is a three year course, instead of a two year course, with most courses over the weekend.

It may be surprising to many but my Associate's degree in Nursing was brutal compared to my other BS degrees. The Master's degree for NP in Occupational Health truly requires about 4 hours of home study for every hour of class. In addition there are 20 hours a week required for "clinical rotation." During summer break I'm required to do an internship full time, but would be available to work on weekends. NIOSH grants a stipend of about $200 per week and I think this is the reason. So while I'd wholeheartedly agree on many courses of study, on this one, I think it's impossible.

I am looking into the possibility of delaying entry for a semester, and taking one or two courses as distance courses. This would change the program to a 2.5 year program, but would allow full-time work for one semester, and might lighten the load so that I can work part time for one or more other semesters. As you say, for those who are tenacious there is always a way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Will someone please clarify something for me? I know about the 125% above poverty income level but I had NO idea that you have to show net worth of 5 years of support in advance... please tell me this is not the case and that I read this incorrectly. I apologize if someone already answered this or if it is somewhere else on this site but I am asking this question in reference to the initial post because I am nearing the time for when I am sure to hear about approval too and I am hoping to learn in advance to avoid any problems due to the affidavit of support.

Thank you in advance!

Never heard of the 5 years of support in advance (Doesn't mean some people aren't asked to provide it or a consulate has a habit of doing this).

What I normally see for the I-134 is tax returns (last 3 years or so), W2s, Letters from employer, Letter from your bank or bank statement, pay stubs etc. And that is just to prove the immigrant won't be a burden on the U.S. government.

Edited by Blob18

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you in advance!

My case is a bit unique.

Most people work and have income, others are retired and have pensions and/or social security. Unemployed people would generally look and eventually find a job that meets requirements.

My situation is different. I'm recently unemployed but my optimal path is to return to college to attain a degree that gives me greater opportunity both in finding a job and being paid. I have assets enough to do this and it makes sense for me to do it, but I wondered if my plan of action might cause problems with the K-1, and people have said essentially: "yes, it will."

The foreign consulate wants to see a person who has a job whose income meets the requirements, thus poverty rate x 125%.

The five years is an alternate measure of assets for a person who has no job, or earns less than the poverty rate x 125%. Let's say that poverty rate for a scenario is $22,000 annually. Then if the person has $22,000 x 5 years (that is what the rules call for) then if the person has no income, but hase $22k x 5 = $110,000 sitting in a savings bank account, then they "meet requirements" even without income from a job.

I have double the required assets, so one would think that there is no problem. But as has been advised here, by people with experience, the Bangkok consulate wants to see a job. Though technically my assets should be enough, some consulates in some countries act essentially as demi-gods, meaning that they have the power of god, and in a sense, for us, they do. A denial based upon perceived lack of support from the Bangkok consulate for me and my fiancee (at least for some time) is sort of a death sentence.

So if you have a job that meets income requirements you don't even have to have 1 cent x 5 years, or five cents in assets. If your case says that you need $20,000 a year and you have a good job, but it only pays $10,000/year, then you would need the "difference," or $50,000 in assets, which can be a house value(after deducing mortgage), money in a bank, stocks or bonds, or other liquid assets. But even there, people imply that Bangkok wants to see some kind of a job.

I suspect that the 5 year asset rule simply does not pertain to you.

Hope this helps, and if I'm not correct in anything I've written here, I'm sure someone will elaborate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.