Crossed_fingers

Preparing for the benficiary's arrival

52 posts in this topic

Also, want to say that there were a couple of things I did to prepare that weren't worth it in the long run. I ordered the soccer channels on cable so that he'd have that to watch. I also ordered another cable box and dvr so we'd each have a tv to watch and didn't have to interfere with each other.

Turns out, American tv doesn't interest him, and he watches soccer on the internet.

So, that was unnecesary.

There were a couple of other things that I'm blanking on now that hopefully I'll think of later and add.

Just as a funny aside - one of my friends who is an ESL instructor was telling my husband he should watch American tv for increased language skills, etc. Husband was like "have you watched American tv?" He's not a fan.

Edited by msheesha

my husband kept himself busy in the days before he got his ead by hanging out with my brother while he was at work. (they now work together, at my family's business). my brother does deliveries as part of his job, so he got an introduction to all kinds of places in the city, and customers he would be working with in the future, and it gave him something to do while i was at school all day. now he can find his way around the city better than i can.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You can add your husband on to your major credit cards as an authorized user. I added my husband on and now he has a very good credit score. We only use his card for groceries.

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

For anyone who is making another trip to Morocco before their fiance/spouse gets here, you can get your state's drivers' manual/permit preparation books so they can start studying while still waiting for visa.

Looking back, that would have been a smart move.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Also, want to say that there were a couple of things I did to prepare that weren't worth it in the long run. I ordered the soccer channels on cable so that he'd have that to watch. I also ordered another cable box and dvr so we'd each have a tv to watch and didn't have to interfere with each other.

Turns out, American tv doesn't interest him, and he watches soccer on the internet.

So, that was unnecesary.

There were a couple of other things that I'm blanking on now that hopefully I'll think of later and add.

The internet is a marvelous thing :thumbs: We just have very basic cable, like the cheapest you can get with just the major networks and PBS. If AbuS wants to see anything MENA-ish, he can find it online. He's found places to watch al-Ahly, and on youtube has hit the motherload. There are tons of egyptian plays there, as well as many of the egyptian political talk shows. There are websites that stream egyptian movies. And, there's always al-Jazeera that streams live, and has recordings of shows both on youtube and on their website.

Just as a funny aside - one of my friends who is an ESL instructor was telling my husband he should watch American tv for increased language skills, etc. Husband was like "have you watched American tv?" He's not a fan.

On a related note, I read somewhere that having subtitles on the TV helps with english comprehension. Turns out I'm the only one who watches american television, and now I can't watch it without subtitles. Whenever I go to my parents' house, I have to turn it on and they're like :blink:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

I agree UmmSqueakster - he finds everything MENA related on the internet. I think he should watch Al Jazeera in English though to help with the language/accent, etc. But, I also know that if I lived in Morocco, and someone said I should watch Moroccan tv, I could possibly want to shoot myself!

Timeline

Have you tried to apply for a Indv Tax ID # (ITIN)? I was able to add my husband as an authorized user to a couple credit cards, before he was here or my spouse.

Another thing, depending on where you live, gather information on your bus/train system like routes and times. That way even if he cannot drive, he still has public transportation access to get out of the house.

goCsm4.png

photo22-1-1.jpg

AF3Cm5.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thanks all for the tips, I appreciate it! I'm on the brink of making the switch from a heavy TV package to basic (or even nothing??? baby steps. baby steps. baby steps.) cable and then just using the internet for most of my TV addictions anyway. Cable is just soooo expensive!!

I'm going to look into whether I can add my fiance to my credit cards while he's still overseas. We're planning a wedding right now, so when I try to add him he'll be overseas without an SSN, but he'll be my spouse. From what I understand we probably won't be able to open a joint account anywhere until he gets here, but I'll still do a little digging and I'll report back if I find a bank that will do it and doesn't seem to be operated out of some sketchy guy's basement. I would just as soon get some of this stuff taken care of while he's still over there to give me something to do....it helps me with the apart time if I can focus on marking things off a "to do" list....and may even make the mountain of paperwork and bureaucratic stuff I'm sure we'll have to deal with after he gets here just a tiny little bit less daunting. I'll come back and post if and when I get more specific information about what financial things can and can't be done before the spouse's arrival.

Karima, thank you for that tip! I didn't see it until after I hit "post."

I just saw a post from the other day on a different thread, not in MENA, that had info on getting the ITIN. I'll try to look for that info later and post it here so it's in one not-to-be-deleted place.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We had issues adding AbuS to my bank account. I believe we tried to do it the day after he arrived, and they initially refused, as he didn't have sufficient ID. He had his Egyptian passport, his US issued visa and his Egyptian ID card. They accepted the passport, but not the visa, as it was in the same book. I tried to argue that they were issues by 2 different governments and should be considered 2 forms of ID, but they weren't buying it. They wouldn't take his Egyptian ID card as it was in arabic. If they had had someone who spoke arabic on the staff, they said they may have taken it, but alas, that didn't work.

We were preparing to leave, all dejected, when the banker whispered to us that they would take a Sam's club ID, so why not try that. So off to Sam's Club we went to get a membership. Poor Sam's Club employee, trying to figure out how to use his Egyptian passport as ID. They'd obviously never encountered anyone wanting to use a passport as ID, let alone a foreign passport.

And once we got that, we went back and added him to my account. :innocent:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Here's a link to a helpful VJ thread on filing taxes jointly while your non-USC spouse is still living abroad. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/294258-instructions-for-filing-taxes-with-spouse-outside-of-the-country/

The top of page 6 has a helpful summary of two of the most broadly useful posts in the thread, IMO, though it's all worthwhile reading for anyone interested in jointly filing taxes while still living apart.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

That's weird, I had no issues opening two bank accounts in NY with my Indian passport, the student visa inside it and my college ID. I didn't even have a SSN at that point.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

Has anyone opened a joint bank account in the beneficiary's home country? I was thinking that might be a possible way to cut down on currency conversion or ATM fees when I visit, but I haven't looked into it. I remember hearing on another forum that it is surprisingly hard to open an account in Morocco as a foreigner, but I don't remember offhand if being the spouse of a Moroccan made it easier. If I dig up that information I'll post here so it's all in one place for anyone else who might be interested some day.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I believe that in order to open an account in Morocco, you have to have a Carte de Sejour. You can get one of these by being married to a Moroccan, but it's a process that takes awhile and you have to go through a lot of bureaucracy to get there.

Timeline

Watching Italian TV with closed captioning on helped me with my language skills as much as anything did.

When DH arrived he didn't speak any English at all. He used to watch Jerry Springer, I think because it's pretty easy to grasp what's going on without understanding the language. :wacko: I would not recommend Jerry Springer as an ESL learning tool, however.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.