Crossed_fingers

Preparing for the benficiary's arrival

52 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi, all! We've had a few threads recently that I think had a lot of great information in them but ended up being deleted for one reason or another per the OP's requests. I promise I won't ask for this one to be deleted. Well, unless someone finds and posts my SSN, last name, or address or something. :P

I have been trying to come up with a list of things my SO and I should do or work on while he's still overseas, in the hopes of making the transition at least a little easier. I was thinking it might be beneficial to some if I make the list public here and include some stuff that may not be relevant for my relationship but that I've seen others discuss as helpful to theirs. I'll try to keep it more nuts and bolts practical and dry and not too emotional ("Make sure he's not a scammer!" "Get your fertility checked!" "Teach him to get his own glass of water from the fridge!") so as not to offend, but honestly, where there's a choice between more information versus the risk of hurt feelings, personally, I want the advice and I can make up my own mind about whether to take it. Like I said, I won't ask for the thread to be deleted over the content of the advice.

So.....here's what I can think of so far, a mishmash of things I've considered for my own SO and tips I've seen for others.

1) Get international driver's license, look into state regulations on how long it will be good for after SO's arrival

2) Consider short term driving lesson(s) to get SO up to speed on American driving

3) Practice English as much as possible, especially as it relates to interviews and professional settings

4) Americanize SO's CV and cover letter

5) Discuss and practice American-style interviews - especially helpful to have mock interviews held by other friends

6) Contact friends in same line of work as SO to generate leads

7) Encourage SO to volunteer or intern to build up resume and gain references while looking for the "real" job

8) Register SO as authorized user to build up credit history [bTW, anyone know offhand if that will help? I seem to remember seeing that in another post somewhere on VJ but I haven't looked into that personally. If anyone else has any other tips for building up a good credit score quickly, I am all ears!]

9) Look into networking groups? Professional associations geared to SO's religious or cultural group?

10) Get SO's foreign degree(s) evaluated

11) Anyone know if having a translated letter of recommendation from an employer in the home country is worth the paper it's written on??

12) Consider training courses or certifications (MS Office, IT certifications, language proficiency testing, etc.)

13) Create portfolio of work, if applicable

That's all I've got for now, trying to keep things more or less in the professional direction. I don't suppose anyone has recommendations for how to handle insurance while the newly arrived SO is still job-hunting, especially for K-1 petitioners who may not be able to add a non-spouse to their own plan right away? Tips for adding a foreign spouse to a USC's bank account as soon as possible?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think its great to be work orientated but for me personally and even coming from " just over in Canada " the big thing for me was the food was different and quite a bit of it made me sick the first while. Its made differently, cooked different with different things, huge portions of food etc. The surroundings were really different, trying to find my way around, knowing what stores to go to for things I needed, understanding price differences etc.

K-1s have to AOS, doing work things only go so far before you cannot do anything anymore because you have to wait for EAD/green card which takes a few months. I really appreciated that my husband took the time to help me out with showing me around and getting used to the stores and how things are set up in the US as opposed to throwing me into work and resume and volunteering etc. I was nervous enough being in a completely new place. After the green card arrived we worked together on the resume stuff and all the rest.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

We were able to open a joint bank account as soon as husband got his ss number.

Good question about the credit. I don't know the answer.

I agree wholeheartedly about the volunteering. I think it's great for many reasons. 1. It's a great thing to do. 2. He will be around over English speakers rather than sitting home aloe bored. 3. Developing contacts and sources of professional references. 4 exposure to american people amd lifestyles Etc etc etc. Ive never understood why people have turned their noses up at the idea. We had two places picked out for him for when he got here but he got a job with bizarre lightning speed. So he doesn't have a lot of time for it but we both do it when we can.

Insurance

Sorry technical problem.

Insurance. What I was told is that a person has to live here for 6 months before being eligible for health insurance. But he can get a US based traveler health insurance. Depending on the deductible it can be pretty reasonable. We carry it in the event if anything horrific happening and it's less than $100 a month. Aetna has some pretty reasonable individual health insurance plans you can look up on the internet by your state to get a sense of the monthly cost.

If you want the insurance broker we used just let me know. She's quick easy and efficient.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Sorry technical problem.

Insurance. What I was told is that a person has to live here for 6 months before being eligible for health insurance. But he can get a US based traveler health insurance. Depending on the deductible it can be pretty reasonable. We carry it in the event if anything horrific happening and it's less than $100 a month. Aetna has some pretty reasonable individual health insurance plans you can look up on the internet by your state to get a sense of the monthly cost.

If you want the insurance broker we used just let me know. She's quick easy and efficient.

Some insurance companies will cover an immigrant spouse right away upon arrival in the U.S. - mine did (Blue Cross Blue Shield.) But these are great alternatives if one's provider requires a waiting period. :thumbs:

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

As soon as they get their SSN, get them a secured credit card through your bank. Seriously, it is THE best thing ever. It took me just under 6 months in the US to have an amazing credit score and because Mr. Sachinky (the USC) is on it as well, his credit has drastically improved too. He didn't have a credit card before this and so his credit score was negligible.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Btw the Aetna plan is what we are using going forward for regular health insurance (not the travellers). Never even tries to go thru work plan. Its over $500 anmonth to add him. Crazy. The Aetna prices for individual plans are better.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

If they're going to be driving, a GPS navigator is extremely useful.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Some insurance companies will cover an immigrant spouse right away upon arrival in the U.S. - mine did (Blue Cross Blue Shield.) But these are great alternatives if one's provider requires a waiting period. :thumbs:

I'm jealous Our hr dept stinks and the rates are crazy to add a spouse!

If they're going to be driving, a GPS navigator is extremely useful.

Definitely agree.

Also cell phone

And a system in place - skype , calling card etc - for him to be able to contact home when he wants to.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Does he have to use it or just have it in his name and not necessarily use it for purchases?

I can't remember the exact details - you can use it sparsely, but you have to use it. For example, if I didn't use my card AT ALL, they would cancel it after 5 months.

I only spend $150-$200 a month on it (groceries, dinner out) and always pay it off in full, always on time. Easiest way to shoot your credit score up.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

That's what my husband did for a credit card too. He did not want a credit card in any way shape or form, but realized, reluctantly that if he wanted to buy a house here, he needed credit history. He had the card for just over a year, bought minimal purchases and paid it off in full every month, and by that time had good enough credit scores to get a home loan without my help. So it definitely works.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Thanks for the credit info.

I know it is what it is, but the whole HAVE to have a credit card thing irks me. Aren't people who don't buy on credit, budget appropriately, and spend within their means good enough?! I already know the answer, just whining. Thanks for indulging. And, thanks again for the credit info.

it irritates me to no end either. but it's an extremely, extremely difficult stream to swim against if you want to do certain things in this country.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.