TF1

Help! Please.

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Okay so I'm totally new to this and I have no clue what all of this information means. I'm wondering if someone out there can help me out a little with understanding all this. I met my boyfriend in Thailand, and now I'm back in the USA and we want to live here together. Is the only option for him really for us to get married? And if not, what are his other options? My father owns his own business and is willing to hire him and be a sponsor and all... So I'm wondering if that route works... or if that's not a great option? And if it's best that we get married... what Visa would he need to get here to do that? I'm on all kinds of embassy websites and forums and it's so overwhelming going over this, and all the information is getting confusing. And how long does it take for Visas to get approved if it's for a marriage or work? I've been hearing so many different things... just wondering if there's anyone who's gone through it that can give me some insight? Thanks to anyone who can help. :D

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

you can do a K1 fiance visa the 1-129f when in the us you have 90 days to marry, the other one is marriage visa cri you get married there file cr1 about 8 to 10 months approval, get permanent resident card and social security card,when arrive in the us, so you have two choices,

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Okay so I'm totally new to this and I have no clue what all of this information means. I'm wondering if someone out there can help me out a little with understanding all this. I met my boyfriend in Thailand, and now I'm back in the USA and we want to live here together. Is the only option for him really for us to get married? And if not, what are his other options? My father owns his own business and is willing to hire him and be a sponsor and all... So I'm wondering if that route works... or if that's not a great option? And if it's best that we get married... what Visa would he need to get here to do that? I'm on all kinds of embassy websites and forums and it's so overwhelming going over this, and all the information is getting confusing. And how long does it take for Visas to get approved if it's for a marriage or work? I've been hearing so many different things... just wondering if there's anyone who's gone through it that can give me some insight? Thanks to anyone who can help. :D

What kind of job is your father going to hire him for? For most types of work visas, the employer has to demonstrate that the job requires extraordinary skill or talent, and that they've tried without success to find an American citizen or resident to fill the position.

He could apply for a student visa. He'd need to be accepted by a school in the US, and prove he could pay for the tuition and support himself while he's here.

If he just wants to come and visit for up to six months then he could apply for a B2 visitor's visa. Those are pretty hard to get in Thailand.

Other than that, your choices are a fiance visa or spousal visa. With a fiance visa you'd need to marry within 90 days of his arrival or he couldn't stay. With a spousal visa you'd have to marry before you sent the petition.

There are no boyfriend/girlfriend visas.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

After filing for a fiance visa, would he be allowed to come to the USA during the time it's waiting to be approved? Or would I have to go there?

He will have the interview in his home country. If he could obtain a visitor's visa he could come and visit. But that's even more unlikely to be successful if you've submitted a visa petition on his behalf.

You do not have to go there for the interview. It's only him.

Do some reading in the VJ Guides (top of page) to familiarize yourself with the process and timelines for fiance and spouse visas. Either way you will be separated for several months at a minimum.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

After filing for a fiance visa, would he be allowed to come to the USA during the time it's waiting to be approved? Or would I have to go there?

After filing the petition, he may travel to the US as long as he has a valid tourist visa. As Jim said however, they are pretty hard to get in thailand

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

K-3 is no longer an option - don't join the K-3 forum, don't even file the I-129F petition.

Join us in the Cr-1 forum

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

The only real reason to prefer K-1 to CR-1 is if you feel very strongly that separation prior to marriage is much better than separation after marriage. It matters to some people.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.