Brenda2010

Applying for credit cards

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Can't believe I forgot to mention that if you've had a Canadian issued Amex for more than 12 months and are in good standing they'll issue you a US one hassle free - I called and was approved within minutes, card arrived 3 days later. Again, they just refer to your Canadian credit history.

Yup, I've had my amex for about 6 months, I read somewhere that they are able to do this so I called Amex right after I got my card and they directed to to their World Service department, I explained the situation of moving soon and not having any credit or SSN number at first, they said it was no problem they do it all the time, just start using your card and once you cross to give them a call with my passport number and an American address to send the card to and we could discuss what card is best once I'm there, then once I am issued a SSN to call them asap and add it to my account, will help my credit that way.

I applied for a capital one visa, one of the cards for people with little or no credit, and was approved right away. I had only been in the US 1-2 months too. Try and apply for that card.

Edited by HisGirl

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm one of the lucky ones who have had no problems getting credit but I do think that banking relationships and being added as an authorized user definitely help. 3 months after I arrived, I applied for a Capital One card and was approved. I was also added as a authorized user to my husband's cards with very high limits.

Just a few months later, Chase, our bank, offered me a card with a great limit without even trying. Actually, my limit in the US is actually higher than my Canadian credit card! I think our savings account and joint income definitely played a bit part of this approval.

I plan to check my credit score in the Fall since we are hoping to a a buy house. I'm hoping it'll be decent, but who knows! I'm not worried.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

• 6 years later...
Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
On 3/17/2011 at 1:42 AM, Deputy Purple said:

It's a real unsecured credit card. My wife was approved for $500 without any prior credit or a job!

Hello Deputy Purple , my wife is a US resident since Dec 2012 ,but she did not worked (studying for her Master's Degree )  and we tried to use the pre qualification form from Capital One

(we got accepted after filling in her name , adress and SSN , we got this message :

You're pre-qualified!

BUT guess what , a few minutes later after we filled in the real application for the  CAPITAL ONE®  Secured MasterCard® , we've got a denial :(

Would that impact our credit score ( like make us lose more points going from 0 to -50 Credit score or something like that ) ?

Please help out with some options if any are available , thank you very much .

Priority Date 19 october 2015

Don't worry God always has the best plan for each of us , just put your faith in Him and everything will be great.

May God bless you all and your families.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

was thinking about getting a credit card---useful thread!

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
On 9/1/2017 at 3:36 AM, Mike&Maddie said:

Hello Deputy Purple , my wife is a US resident since Dec 2012 ,but she did not worked (studying for her Master's Degree )  and we tried to use the pre qualification form from Capital One

(we got accepted after filling in her name , adress and SSN , we got this message :

You're pre-qualified!

BUT guess what , a few minutes later after we filled in the real application for the  CAPITAL ONE®  Secured MasterCard® , we've got a denial :(

Would that impact our credit score ( like make us lose more points going from 0 to -50 Credit score or something like that ) ?

Please help out with some options if any are available , thank you very much .

They told me that i need to create and Online Checking account(it's not working like eSky visa card without an acccount) , and we tried to do it but it did not work , i will try to contact them by phone

Priority Date 19 october 2015

Don't worry God always has the best plan for each of us , just put your faith in Him and everything will be great.

May God bless you all and your families.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.