Herb-Mel

Can i visit my USC fiance while waiting for the K1?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I think i'm just going to go through with it and take a chance. What's a 797? The proof of address won't be a problem for me. I also plan to visit for about 3 months. I'll be flying in through JFK, and i heard that the officers there aren't too bad.

Your 797 is your receipt from USCIS if you have a copy from your fiance darl carry it with in case and yeah come and visit you have every right ti visit.

o

I think i'm just going to go through with it and take a chance. What's a 797? The proof of address won't be a problem for me. I also plan to visit for about 3 months. I'll be flying in through JFK, and i heard that the officers there aren't too bad.

Your 797 is your receipt darl carry it with in case and yeah come and visit you have every right to visit.

Edited by Barbara J

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Does not matter where you from – this is all on digression of the officer at POE. He can let you in and he can turn you around, there is no such guaranteed that you will be able to see your fiancée as you already have B1/B2 stamped.

Letter of employer is also not really a good reason, you can always enter on B1/B2 showing the employer letter and you can resign after you get in US.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Whenever ive been in the past, and as i intend to do when i visit in april. When im asked why am i there, ill just reply 'tourism', and if they ask where im staying ill say 'with a friend', ill only ever get to gf or fiance or even to the stage of them knowing about my k1 app if they ask. I will no way let them know i have applied for k1, because, although you are going through the process and obv will return back so u dont mess it up, they still will think you are just planing on staying.

Just dont even mention anything, unless asked. If you are asked, be honest.

Ben

I would be very careful with those kinds of half truth statements. Saying that you are staying with a friend when your "friend" is your fiance who has petitioned for the K1 visa can be seen as material misrepresentation and affect your petition as it progresses.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I have a true experience with this and my fiance: We looked everywhere for an answer and we were told there is no law preventing it and its up to the POE officer and if he is having a bad day he won't let you in. We risked it in february and my fiance had no problem coming in. He flew direct from London to LAX and went through customs there. As a precaution he brought information that showed he still had strong ties back home and will be going back home. The customs officer didn't ask him anything. All he was asked was about me. My fiance told him he was coming over to visit his girlfriend for her birthday which was the truth. He is going to try and come over again in April so we hope for good news then too. The only thing my lawyer recommended was not to come over after you have received your NOA2.

Hope this helps. It sure sucks when we can't see our loved ones for long periods of time. Good Luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey all,

I'm planning to visit my fiance, Herb in New Jersey at the end of March. We sent in our K1 application at the end of Jan. I already have a valid tourist visa. I've read on here that those applying for a tourist visa while waiting for a K1 will not get it. But what about this situation? Would it get me into trouble to visit him with my pre-existing tourist visa? Would i get turned back at the POE? I also remember reading about fiancees who visited their USC's while waiting and never had any issues at the interview. Can anyone help me out with this? I just want to be sure i'm doing the right thing.

Hi,

My fiance traveled to US from Bahrain on B1/tourist visa last year Nov. 2010... We also have a pending K1 dated July, 2010 and upon her POE she didn't have any issue with the immigration officer and was granted with 6mos. of admittance here in the US. Before her B1/B2 visa got approved she mentioned to the CO about our pending K1 and didn't have any issue nor being asked questions. I hope this helps.. :-)

Timeline

I went through LAX last month with no problems -- the only thing they asked me is what I do for a living and how long I will be staying. I didn't have to supply/show any paperwork. I brought a couple : letter from employer and my NOA1.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Thanks for all the replies guys! It has helped me make up my mind. I'm going to visit him and I'll bring as much proof as i can and keep my fingers crossed. I'm willing to take the risk. Wish me luck!

Filed: Timeline

I am also wanting my fiance to visit me in the US for a while, we are still waiting on our NOA2 as well. He is originally from Nigeria, but living in Malaysia, as he is a student there. Would there be a problem with him applying in that Country? Or we he have to apply in Nigeria since that is where he has citizenship?

Filed: Timeline

My fiance is in Malaysia as well, but originally from Nigeria. Would he be able to appy for visitor visa from there? Or would he have to go to Nigeria to apply since he has citizenship there? He is a student in Malaysia. We are in K1 process now, awaiting our NOA2 as well. I would love for him to visit me here in the US for a couple of months to meet my family and friends, while he is on break from school. Would this be a problem?

Sorry didnt think my first reply posted!! :bonk:

Timeline

I'm not really sure but i think he can apply for a US visa at the consulate in Malaysia. But based on most people's experiences, getting a tourist visa is almost impossible if you are waiting for the K1. There's no harm trying I guess. Maybe he should contact the US embassy in KL. I've heard that they're really helpful. If he clarified beforehand, then it would save him time and money. If he's a student, then he should try to get a letter from the college showing that he's studying there and when he needs to be back for the new semester etc. That might convince them that he's only going to visit.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I would be very careful with those kinds of half truth statements. Saying that you are staying with a friend when your "friend" is your fiance who has petitioned for the K1 visa can be seen as material misrepresentation and affect your petition as it progresses.

Thats a good point. Thank you :thumbs:

MAY 1ST 2010: Met on night out in Fort Worth, TX.

SEP 24TH 2010: Ben 2 Week visit to Dallas

OCT 29TH 2010: Ashley 2 week visit to England.

DEC 25TH 2010: Ben 2 week visit to Dallas.

JAN 3RD 2011: Sent I-129F with USPS

JAN 6TH 2011: Arrived at Dallas 75266 Lockbox- Signed for by C.Thornquist at 6:03am

JAN 7TH 2011: Check Cashed

JAN 9TH 2011: NOA1 Emailed to us - Jan 6th - Sent to VSC

JAN 11TH 2011: NOA1 Hardcopy received in post (NOA1 Date: January 6th 2011)

FEB 24TH 2011: Ashley 2 week visit to England.

APR 15TH 2011: Ben 2 week visit to Dallas.

MAY 20TH 2011: NOA2 Email and Text - Approved!!!! - 134 days

MAY 26TH 2011: NOA2 Hardcopy

MAY 31ST 2011: NVC RECEIVE - Given LND Case Number

JUN 1St 2011: NVC LEAVE

JUN 6TH 2011: ARRIVE LONDON CONSULATE

JUN 11TH 2011: PACKET 3 RECEIVED

Jun 11th-28th: Visit Ashley in Dallas

JUN 30TH 2011: Medical

JUL 4TH 2011: PACKET 3 RETURNED

Timeline

My fiance is in Malaysia as well, but originally from Nigeria. Would he be able to appy for visitor visa from there? Or would he have to go to Nigeria to apply since he has citizenship there? He is a student in Malaysia. We are in K1 process now, awaiting our NOA2 as well. I would love for him to visit me here in the US for a couple of months to meet my family and friends, while he is on break from school. Would this be a problem?

Sorry didnt think my first reply posted!! :bonk:

There will be no problem so long as he can provide an employee or student certificate, bank statement and rental receipt/any bills that he pays every month, and plus bringing in the NOA1 receipt would give him higher chance of getting B1/B2. My fiance is a Philippine citizen and was working in Bahrain when she applied for the B1/B2 visa and got approved, and now she's here with me on tourist while we're on the final stage of K1 visa..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

First, Im not a 3rd world country :D I thought that was a cute comment, but anyways.....

as said... it depends on the mood of the officer.... when I flew in I had to write the little form where it asked about visas (denied, received...bla bla bla) so I wouldnt lie on that piece of paper, second it has nothing to do with K1 process... it will in no way affect that... its only a matter of what happens if the officer thinks that you are coming for staying and you need to have money on hand to go back the same day..... We called the customs, USCIS has nothing to do with it, its not them letting you in the country in the airport..... We talked with the customs guy and his supervisor in JFK (new york, so Ide say they know what they talk about.... it can happen that someone got it, but somebody else could be more unlucky.... so we made the decision to save money and fire it off when we meet instead of not knowing if we even meet :) But yeah thats my opinion ;)

Hello im new in this, and also waiting for a k1 i have the same Question, i really want to go n visit my Fiance but what if they dont let me in at the POE..... i know how yall feel,i havent seen him in 8 months now n it is really hard,we sent out k1 papers on Nov.26 they received them and now we are waiting to be aproved... it is almost 4 months already feels like years....

Anyway i wish yall a very good luck let us know how it went, who knows maybe i try n go too hehehhe :).

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does not matter where you from – this is all on digression of the officer at POE. He can let you in and he can turn you around, there is no such guaranteed that you will be able to see your fiancée as you already have B1/B2 stamped.

Letter of employer is also not really a good reason, you can always enter on B1/B2 showing the employer letter and you can resign after you get in US.

It just doesn't seem right that one person has the right to turn you back for no good legal reason, just because they "feel like it". I am leaving for Virginia on Saturday to stay until May 18th - left my job and apartment (moved my stuff into mom's) so I have no "ties" as they put it but I do have a return ticket, all my K1 paperwork and I even had my fiancee send me an email confirming in writing that he's requested I quit my job and will support me so that I can be with him while we wait out the process... and of course I will have to be back for the remainder of the K1 process. I will ask to speak with a supervisor should the officer not let me in as there is no legal reason that I shouldn't be able to go though.

My fingers and toes are crossed that it goes smoothly but I'm getting to the airport early regardless. :luv:

---------------------
Oct. 22 - 25/10: Met in Hawaii and fell in love!
Jan. 3/11: Together in Seattle for New Years - officially, ENGAGED got my ring and we got matching tattoos!
Jan. 8/11: Mailed K1 forms to Lockbox in Lewisville, TX
Jan. 11/11: Check cashed.
Jan. 12/11: NOA1 - Initial Review - Petition Received
Jan. 14/11: Last Touch
Jan. 17/11: Rec'd email notification with receipt number and notice that package was received and routed to Vermont for Processing. Able to logon within a day to check case.
Feb. 24/11: Mailed additional info to VSC
May 10/11: RFE email - May 12/11: RFE hard copy received
May 27/11: RFE reply received and being processed.
July 1/11: NOA2!!!
July 14/11: NVC forwards petition to Vancouver
July 21/11: Packet 3 received via email.
Aug. 7/11: Packed 3 emailed back
Aug. 8/11: Packet 4 letter received via email
Sept. 21/11: Medical - SUCCESS!!!!
Sept. 23/11: Visa Interview = SUCCESS!!!
Sept. 28/11: Visa in hand
Sept. 29/11: POE at YVR to Seattle
Oct. 23/11: Hawaii beach wedding
Jan. 12/12: 1-485 & 1-765 NOA hard copies received
Feb. 2/12: NOA - case transferred to California
Mar. 3/12: Biometrics Done!
Mar. 14/12: Work Permit card being printed (never arrived, lost in the mail)
May. 8/12: I-485 Approved - Green Card in the mail
May. 12/12: GREEN CARD!!!!!!!!!!!

Package Mailed then RFE then Interview... and finally:

Jan.21/15: 10 Year Green Card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Just wanted to give some feedback. I did go through with my plan to visit my fiance in New Jersey. It was a piece of cake. I was very nervous after all the advice and warnings. I brought supporting documents. At the POE the officer seemed to be in a bad mood even. He asked me what was my reason for entering the US? I answered just for a visit. He asked, visiting whom? I said my fiance. He asked what is my fiance's status here. I told him he was a USC. He then asked about my previous visits. How long? For what reason? etc.Took my picture and fingerprints. That's it. He then gave me 6 months and sent me on my way. He didn't ask to see any papers, return ticket,employment proof etc. He didn't even ask about the K-1 visa. I spent 2 wonderful months with my fiance and his family. I hope the NOA2 approval comes soon! Thanks for all your support guys!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.