Gary and Alla

The Solstice is trashed

74 posts in this topic

She hasn't said yet. I have to do all the calling tomorrow to get her a rental car until things get settled. I am sure she will be looking for something soon, she is doing homework tonight. She may go back to her original desire for a small four door car which is what she ws looking for when she spotted the Solstice and since it was about the same price...

I am sure you have heard this before, but I am happy for your family that no one was hurt :)

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

I am surprised. they are not! Maybe GM would, I don't know. Alla wants nothing to do with GM since the government took them over, she says it is like "Avtovas" :lol:

Particularly Honda, they just aren't making any deals. I also am not too pleased the way they are treating people. When she asked why she couldn't get a better deal at Honda they said "Are you kidding? Do you see what is happening in Japan? You better get a Japanese car now or you won't get one at all"

I find it hard to believe that the Japanese makers are not going to find another source or factory to make engines and most of the cars are assembled here or Mexico or Canada, but who knows? Two Japanese dealers told us this.

I can't speak for Nissan or Honda, but Toyota's are made right here in the USA. In fact a Toyota truck has more US made parts than a Ford Ranger p/u.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Man that Yaris is a worlwide car! I think every country I've been to has the nicer hotel taxis driving the black Yaris. Extremely dependable cars too.

Good for Alla telling that dealer where to stick it! :thumbs: It sounds like they were dumping last yr's stock at premium price. All previous yr models drop in value the moment the new yr models come out.

I like it a LOT better than her Soltice which was HELL to get in and out of. For me anyway. Once you were in it (it was more like "putting it on" than "getting in it") it was fun to drive. Really fun to drive. But the Yaris also handles extremely well and is much more roomy inside and easier to get in and out of. Those little cars remind me of driving go carts when I was a kid. Very responsive steering, quick acceleration (maybe not high top-end speed) and fast braking. I guess that is to be expected with a lightweight car and short wheelbase.

I can't speak for Nissan or Honda, but Toyota's are made right here in the USA. In fact a Toyota truck has more US made parts than a Ford Ranger p/u.

That's true, but the engines (so we are told) are made in Japan. I had not heard it would be a problem here, except from these two dealers and I suspect they may be using it as an excuse to cause a run on the market. Or try to. :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I find it hard to believe that the Japanese makers are not going to find another source or factory to make engines and most of the cars are assembled here or Mexico or Canada, but who knows? Two Japanese dealers told us this.

Yaaa They're probably using that disaster situation to help boost their bottom lines. I know there are a bunch of Toyota factories in US and Mexico. They were required to build some here in order to save some money on import taxes. Here's an article that says they have too many US Factories... :wacko:Toyota has too many US Factories

~Johnny~

I like it a LOT better than her Soltice which was HELL to get in and out of. For me anyway. Once you were in it (it was more like "putting it on" than "getting in it") it was fun to drive. Really fun to drive. But the Yaris also handles extremely well and is much more roomy inside and easier to get in and out of. Those little cars remind me of driving go carts when I was a kid. Very responsive steering, quick acceleration (maybe not high top-end speed) and fast braking. I guess that is to be expected with a lightweight car and short wheelbase.

That's true, but the engines (so we are told) are made in Japan. I had not heard it would be a problem here, except from these two dealers and I suspect they may be using it as an excuse to cause a run on the market. Or try to. :lol:

Here's a Ukrainian made AWD. It does great on the gas.

ukrainehorsewagon.jpg

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Timeline

ukrainehorsewagon.jpg

:lol:

:lol:

ukrainehorsewagon.jpg

We need these photos for when our FSU wives gripe about something here. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I am surprised. they are not! Two Japanese dealers told us this.

And you believed them? Even when you know about the holdback and negotiate that into a sale price and get free oil changes for life and other stuff, mark my words, they are making out just fine from your sale.

One must ALWAYS ALWAYS be ready to walk out at a moment's notice during auto purchase negotiations.

And having a united front between husband and wife really helps. They play you like a fiddle. Even when I know I get a good price, I always walks away feeling uneasy up my backside.....even when my salesperson says privately afterwards, "You really got a good deal."

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

She claims it was because of her accent and they do not take a "foreign woman" seriously.

They do not take any woman seriously. Vika was stunned when I walked away after a dealership manager said "you have already bent me over buddy, I can't do any better than that". When we came back, he said "what will it take, etc.". Well :o , Vika says "OMG, he alredy said this was the BEST price". When I offered an additional $2,000 less, she was really shocked that they (I need to check with my manager sir) said OK in 90 seconds. :rofl::rofl:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

And you believed them? Even when you know about the holdback and negotiate that into a sale price and get free oil changes for life and other stuff, mark my words, they are making out just fine from your sale.

One must ALWAYS ALWAYS be ready to walk out at a moment's notice during auto purchase negotiations.

And having a united front between husband and wife really helps. They play you like a fiddle. Even when I know I get a good price, I always walks away feeling uneasy up my backside.....even when my salesperson says privately afterwards, "You really got a good deal."

I don't necessarily believe them, in fact I don't believe them. BUT there is some reason that in this economy they are not doing much to make deals. Nissan still had a $1500 rebate, and both Nissan and Toyota offer a $500 rebate for college students, so Alla will get that from either and that's it. No one else is offering rebates and Toyota came off the price only $200. Nissan reduced the price about $700. Honda says "take it or leave it" I do not know if it is becasue we are kind of isolated here or not. There are not a lot of dealers to choose from nearby.

As far as walking out, you are right. I told Alla that Sunday at the Nissan dealer. She wasn't happy at any time with the salesman, who I think was more "stupid" than dishonest. I just told her to get ready to walk out. I told her we would probably not make it to the parking lot.

We have an appointment at the Toyota dealer tomorrow. She has decided to buy the Yaris, just hasn't decided which one (of two)

Gary And Alla

Timeline

They do not take any woman seriously. Vika was stunned when I walked away after a dealership manager said "you have already bent me over buddy, I can't do any better than that". When we came back, he said "what will it take, etc.". Well :o , Vika says "OMG, he alredy said this was the BEST price". When I offered an additional $2,000 less, she was really shocked that they (I need to check with my manager sir) said OK in 90 seconds. :rofl::rofl:

Alla thinks it is because she is Ukrainian. I am so surprised. :lol:

She told then she is "not allowed" to do anything without me and we have to meet them tomorrow. She made me out to be the "bad guy" and said so in so many words, so she expects I will do the same you did...or some such. :lol:

I will say they do try to baffle her with BS because she writes down all these "features" they tell her about and then finds out it is really just floor mats or something. :lol: They call it "color keyed floor protection system" or something.

She seems to be having fun "car shopping" but does not like the salesmen.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

No, they dont. I remember once looking at cars and this idiot came up to me and said, "Hi, Miss, I think you should probably look over on this side of the lot-- these are the manual transmissions. Do you know what that is?" I replied with, "Yes, the exact same kind of transmission I am driving out of here on now. Good day." Jackwipe. That would be why I was walking car to car so fast because I was looking for a manual before I even checked anything else out. I also remember when I was looking at new cars and I asked to see the engine. The guy was really resistant. At the time I was doing my own work and so I wanted to see what all I was getting into with a Hyundai-- I am used to my Honda. He kept asking me why I needed to see inside and then proceeded to try to explain it all to me but he failed miserably. I thought wanting to see the engine was a reasonable question. Then there is always the obligatory: "Can you even drive?" questions. No. I just totally went for a joyride in the car I brought and went straight to looking for a new car.

Gary-- I am glad Alla was OK. I never responded, sorry. Car accidents super-suck. My last one was insane lol. We hit a police car which ran a red light without lights or sirens. We were going about 40, they were going about 70. Our car was totaled. It cracked off one of my ribs and punctured my lung but everything was ok. I never went ot the hospital, only the doctor the next day... then a couple days after that. Ammar really hurt his hand but didn't break anything. We were just glad that in the end, state of AR cited themselves and paid for everything. I am like you mentioned she is-- I don't really panic. I do get exicted though. I was kind of chatty about it for quite some time.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

having a united front between husband and wife really helps. They play you like a fiddle. Even when I know I get a good price, I always walks away feeling uneasy up my backside.....

When my wife and I went to buy her a car I said, "We're just going to look. We don't really want to negotiate or anything, just do a few test drives, see what's out there and then we'll negotiate once you make up your mind which one you want."

We drove two cars. The first one was OK. The next one was, "I want zis one." We returned to the lot and when I recommended we look around a little, check out some other places, etc., she got suckered in, "We'll make you a really good deal if you buy today." I sat there saying no, no, no, that's too much, etc., but she kept repeating, "I want zis car."

I came up with a number I didn't think they'd be able to hit. Persistence pays though, and eventually, after talking to the dealership manager, sales manager, "the big guy", etc., they hit it. Seems like the good cop/bad cop thing may have worked.

It's possible a united front with the same dollar amount involved would've been better but perhaps playing into the "she really wants it so if we can just win him over too we'll make the sale" may have worked in our case.

Like the rest of you though, I never feel like I got a "good deal" at the dealership.

My buddy used to work as a car salesman and he said the best way to get a good deal is to take advantage of all the "gimmicks" they offer. Paying cash makes the dealer no money so they don't want you to pay $49 over invoice. What makes them money is when you take on the dealer financing and "deal of the day" like $3,000 cash off if you sign for 6 years at 10% or whatever. You can end up with a better sale price and then pay off your loan early if you don't want to pay all that financing.

He said the margins on the dealer stock are actually quite low and they make most of their money through longterm payments that they get a cut of. Definitely something to keep in mind when dealing with them. Sometimes stretching it out is better in the long run.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

She bought the Yaris she has been driving for two days. we managed to get thewm down another $300 on the price, but still not much considering the market. I read on Yahoo today that we can expect shortages of Japanese cars and electronic products. First I heard that outside of a dealership.

This one is a 2011 for sure. :P

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.