Sandyb

DCF In Colombia

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello to all, I have a question for you all. My daughter, who is a US Citizen and resides in Bogotá with her Colombian husband went to the Embassy about 2 weeks ago and filed the the I-130 paperwork with the Consulate (DCF). After giving over the paperwork and speaking with a consulate official she was told that the papers were in order and everything looked good and that she only had to pay the $420 dollars and wait for a phone call with further instructions. She was given some papers indicating the next steps and that's it. Well, it's been 2 weeks and they haven't heard anything. She is trying to locate their file and check the status but she has no receipt number that includes the 3 letters. How does she get that? They have received no information from the embassy yet, no phone call or anything. The time frame that we've been seeing is 7-day approval but we are no going in to week 3. Any suggestions, or ideas?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

3 letter case numbers tend to be issued by NVC when petition if filed to USCIS in the USA.

Probably should get cases status here: http://bogota.usembassy.gov/iv-contact.html

I would suspect it will take much longer than 2 weeks for something to happen, even when petition is filed overseas, the DHS office in the consulate still makes some name check requests back to the USA.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I'm in the same boat. Applied Feb. 15 and haven't heard anything. From what i heard it takes about a month to get Packet 3 in the mail, which is what should come when everything is approved. If that doesn't arrive you can also download those very forms (DS2100, 230) and get started on getting all the required documents. For me at least the hardest things to get are the tax transcripts (for the filer, and the co-sponsor which nearly all DCF's require) especially the 2010 ones, and then getting my wife's vaccinations in order is also a pain.

If after a month they still don't have anything you can email the embassy (they normally return emails within a week) or try to call on Wednesday afternoons from 2-4 when they take calls. The only thing you need that isn't on the packet you can download is the case number. Don't worry too much. I know it's hard to be patient, but this process is actually quite quick. From what i understand once the embassy receives the forms from packet 3 (and you can email or fax them in) you can get an appointment for the interview in the next month.

best of luck,

dt

Hello to all, I have a question for you all. My daughter, who is a US Citizen and resides in Bogotá with her Colombian husband went to the Embassy about 2 weeks ago and filed the the I-130 paperwork with the Consulate (DCF). After giving over the paperwork and speaking with a consulate official she was told that the papers were in order and everything looked good and that she only had to pay the $420 dollars and wait for a phone call with further instructions. She was given some papers indicating the next steps and that's it. Well, it's been 2 weeks and they haven't heard anything. She is trying to locate their file and check the status but she has no receipt number that includes the 3 letters. How does she get that? They have received no information from the embassy yet, no phone call or anything. The time frame that we've been seeing is 7-day approval but we are no going in to week 3. Any suggestions, or ideas?

Thanks

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks DT for the response. Well, glad to know that someone else is in the same boat as they are. The difficult thing is not having a case number and feeling left in the dark. They basically have all the paperwork needed for step number 2. They have all the translations, certificates, pictures, you name it. But they haven't received a call yet. The gentleman who attended to them, or rather who spoke with my daughter in English, told her that they needed to wait for a phone call. The embassy would call to the house and to her cell phone and then after that, they would send either via mail, e-mail or fax the required documents to the embassy. However, we're on week 3 and nothing. Now we'll be starting week 4 and we're not sure what to expect. The paper that they gave them with instructions said not to contact the embassy with questions. So, I guess we just sit here and wait. Please keep us posted on how things go with you all.

Thanks again.

Please note the private message I sent your daughter.

Also, I did email them today, before I had received the letter, and AMAZINGLY got a response the same day. They emailed me back with the case number. You should try the email route, as they were very nice, and rapid in their response. The address is IVBogota@state.gov

best of luck,

dt

Thanks DT for the response. Well, glad to know that someone else is in the same boat as they are. The difficult thing is not having a case number and feeling left in the dark. They basically have all the paperwork needed for step number 2. They have all the translations, certificates, pictures, you name it. But they haven't received a call yet. The gentleman who attended to them, or rather who spoke with my daughter in English, told her that they needed to wait for a phone call. The embassy would call to the house and to her cell phone and then after that, they would send either via mail, e-mail or fax the required documents to the embassy. However, we're on week 3 and nothing. Now we'll be starting week 4 and we're not sure what to expect. The paper that they gave them with instructions said not to contact the embassy with questions. So, I guess we just sit here and wait. Please keep us posted on how things go with you all.

Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.