1HappyGuy

Applying for K-2 for wife's son

5 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar situation. My wife's son is visiting us currently and we hope to get him to stay permanently. He is here on a visitor visa but we can apply for a K-2 visa on follow up benefits. He is 20 and unmarried so he qualifies as far as I can see. But, my attorney says that he must go back to Ukraine to visit the U.S. embassy for his interview, get medical exam and police report.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been through this and can suggest a way that we can get this all accomplished in America. It just seems so ridiculous. My wife is not going to be happy when I tell her this news in a little while. I got the email at work a short time ago.

I'll look for your responses tomorrow. Thanks for any help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar situation. My wife's son is visiting us currently and we hope to get him to stay permanently. He is here on a visitor visa but we can apply for a K-2 visa on follow up benefits. He is 20 and unmarried so he qualifies as far as I can see. But, my attorney says that he must go back to Ukraine to visit the U.S. embassy for his interview, get medical exam and police report.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been through this and can suggest a way that we can get this all accomplished in America. It just seems so ridiculous. My wife is not going to be happy when I tell her this news in a little while. I got the email at work a short time ago.

I agree with your lawyer.

He could have come with his mother.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

1HappyGuy,

You do not provide some essential information needed to understand your situation fully. I would assume that the attorney you spoke with did get the information and based his advice on it. So I'm with Boiler in expecting that the option the attorney gave you is the only one that you have.

Yodrak.

Edited by Yodrak

I'm beginning to think we have no other option. My wife is naturally upset, not wanting to be apart from her son. The really strange thing is the embassy wants two copies of form DS-156. That is an application for non-immigrant visa (i.e. visitor visa). We are trying to figure out what that's all about.

Our son is okay with returning because he has things in Ukraine he wants here and wants to say good bye to his friends. We are just afraid that the process will get screwed up and he won't be able to return except through the very slow I-130 process. We have a very small window since my wife's visa was approved on November 15, 2005. He must get a visa before that date to qualify under K-2. So, now we are trying to get some information from the embassy in Kiev. They didn't open for our questions until 2:00 PM today, which is 4:00 AM in California. Now its the long weekend.

Did you know that U.S. Embassy employees enjoy both American and in country holidays. In Ukraine that amounts to about 30 days off each year, maybe more.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an email from the embassy in Kiev. They are ready to schedule him an appointment but they also want me to provide them with a revalidation letter of my original petition. Does anyone know what that is?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.