Elizabeth122

Bringing parents in law to the US

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am getting married to a UK citizen soon who will be moving to the US. we are working on getting him his papers, however, his parents are interested in making the move as well. please advise with the following:

1. what is the easiest and fastest way to get his parents legal us papers

2. how long should it take

3. how much should it all cost

4. once the groom gets his working papers, SS#, will he be able to bring his parents here?

Filed: Timeline

I am going to be bringing my parents over from the UK... here is what I have found out so far....

He can not petition for his parents to immigrate here until he is a USC, so 3 years from when he gets his greencard...

You can not petition for his parents it has to be him... he will need to file form I-130 and when that is approved forms will be sent to his parents... they will need a medical and will be interviewed in London and if a Visa is granted I belive it is a CR5... they can then immigrate... once they are here they will recieve their Greencards within a few weeks of arrival.

One of the biggist problems is that they will need medical insurance here and that is not cheap...

If you read the guide here at the top of the forum for CR1 it is almost the same process as bringing parents as bringing a spouse..

Hope this helps

Kezzie

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We are parents of a USC and have just become Permanent Residents. Classification is IR-5

Please view our timeline as this will give you an idea of procedures and time from filing I-130 to interview. If you have any questions please pm me.

Jenny

Edited by jenart

For detailed timeline - click on my name - then read our story

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
You can not petition for his parents it has to be him... he will need to file form I-130 and when that is approved forms will be sent to his parents... they will need a medical and will be interviewed in London and if a Visa is granted I belive it is a CR5... they can then immigrate... once they are here they will recieve their Greencards within a few weeks of arrival.
Sometimes you need to look outside the box of family immigration. If the question concerns how to get someone into the US and how to do it the fastest, the parents in question might want to consider other options if they are still of working age. Employer sponsored immigrant visas EB1-EB5, temporary work visa H1B, L1A/1B intercompany transfers, E trade treaty visa, and perhaps other categories depending on the parent qualifications and the like.

Don't be locked into family immigration box before exploring other options.

I am going to be bringing my parents over from the UK... here is what I have found out so far....

He can not petition for his parents to immigrate here until he is a USC, so 3 years from when he gets his greencard...

One of the biggist problems is that they will need medical insurance here and that is not cheap...

If you read the guide here at the top of the forum for CR1 it is almost the same process as bringing parents as bringing a spouse..

Hope this helps

Kezzie

Thanks for the info Kezzie, my folks and I are also interested in them immigrating once I have sworn allegiance to the good ol' stars and stripes!

01/10/05 - Arrived back in US

01/26/05 - Got Married! WooHoo!

02/14/05 - Had Medical Exam

02/22/05 - Filed for AOS in Seattle, in person

03/31/05 - Got EAD!!

04/02/05 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

05/19/05 - AOS Interview - awaiting decision...

08/24/05 - (conditional) Permanent Resident

09/08/05 - Passport stamped in Seattle

09/19/05 - Recieved actual Greencard! YAY!!!

05/24/07 - 90 days to remove conditions starts!

06/02/07 - Filed I-751, California Service Center

08/09/07 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

08/28/07 - I-751 Approved & conditions are removed!

09/12/07 - Recieved 10 year Greencard! YEAH!!!

*now contemplating N-400 and citizenship*

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Funny that this should be posted this week! My dad just called me to ask whether or not I could sponsor him, and I told him I'd have to come to good ol' VJ to find out :lol:

polarcanada.gifCDA.gif married to a USA.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.