Pejo

Traveling to US After Interview Without Using K1

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think US border officer stamp your passport with immigration stamp which is valid for a year. That stamp is as good as green card.

you can visit between Canada and USA with stamp.

Some have managed to travel to the USa and NOt "activate" it! What you have working in ur favor--is the NEXUS pass! But once you "activate" it, then one can NOT leave the USA until u Get the Greencard or get AP! Well you can leave, you just may not get back in!lol And yes that has happened! Then one starts back at square 1 with the CR-1.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think US border officer stamp your passport with immigration stamp which is valid for a year. That stamp is as good as green card.

not for K1's.. that is only for CR1 visas

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Also, once you're visa is approved, you have 6 months to enter the US. From what others are saying too, scheduling interview may take awhile in your country (correct me if I'm wrong about this). Congratulations on your recent approval!

02iqn7wnr.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since you're going through the Vancouver consulate, you definitely have more flexibility. Don't rush send back packet 3, that will give you extra time. When it comes time to schedule your interview, the consulate allows you to put down a week that you prefer and they are usually pretty good at picking a date in that week for you. From what I understand too, Vancouver is pretty good about rescheduling if needed. And don't forget too, after your visa is approved you have six months to activate it so you will be able to plan the move around your graduation. You may not be able to travel back and forth after approval/before moving, but you will have a little more flexibility for planning than with Montreal. Be very happy to be with Vancouver! Very laid back and very nice people at the consulate!!

Good luck to you!

Robin

Removal of Conditions

10.15.2012 ROC package sent to California Service Center

10.18.2012 Package received

10.19.2012 Check cashed (it never ceases to amaze me how fast the gov't cashes a check!!)

10.29.2012 NOA received dated 10.18.2012

10.29.2012 Biometrics appt received

11.14.2012 Biometrics

When I went for my interview they asked if I had a Nexus & of course I had to say yes. I just wondered if they flagged it or something on my approval so I wouldn't travel back & forth using it before I activated the K1 visa. Anyways, that scared me enough to stay in Canada until I POE'd.

OP, you can travel back n forth until the actual interview. Bring proof of ties to Canada. As the others have said, schedule the interview to work out with your plans. Best of luck on your journey!

OUR TIMELINE AND K1 JOURNEY

Sept 4, 2009...We meet in Toronto, Canada at a Kid Rock concert
Feb 19, 2010...NOA1 recieved in mail
May 19, 2010...NOA2 (92 days)
Sept 24, 2010...Interview! APPROVED! smile.png
Oct 29, 2010...POE--Buffalo, NY
Nov 10, 2010...Courthouse wedding in NY state
Dec 11, 2010...Beach wedding in Hawaii

Dec 09, 2010...NOA for AOS, EAD, AP
Feb 11, 2011...AOS & EAD approved smile.png
Feb 12, 2011...AP approved smile.png
Feb 18, 2011...Received GREEN CARD smile.png
Feb 18, 2011...Received AP
Feb 22, 2011...Received EAD

Nov 09, 2012...Sent in I-751, Removal of Conditions
Nov 14, 2011...NOA1
Dec 18, 2012...Biometrics

May 03, 2013...10 year GREEN CARD approved! yes.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The interview date is assigned and could be rescheduled if you contact the consulate at the time (afterwards)

may require a solid reason....!

Sorry no K-1 is NOT assigned. It is picked by the person booking the interview online.

Lol no not for a k-1 sorry. Please go read up on the guides!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My interview at Vancouver at the end of April 2009 was assigned. I sent in my Packet 3 checklist around April 15, and they initially assigned me May 30, but I asked if it could possibly be moved up because my work needed to know ASAP whether I was coming back for the next school year [i was working as a teacher at a school, and told Vancouver that, per their own instructions, I couldn't do anything irrevocable, job-wise, without having a visa in-hand.]. I know i was spectacularly lucky and no one should count on having an interview expedited like that, but Vancouver was at least open to negotiation. But they did do the assigning themselves.

Montreal's processes now are totally different. They have an on-line self-scheduling setup of some kind. I don't know the details. But Vancouver [almost 2 years ago, MAN how time flies!] definitely assigned you an interview date. I don't know if they still do.

As to the original question, I delayed sending in my Packet 3 info for a couple of months because I was planning to visit my now-wife in early March and had planned to get the last I-134 documents and relationship evidence from her then, before sending in my Packet 3 checklist. We weren't in a huge hurry because, as I said above, I was working as a teacher and couldn't just walk away until the end of the school year at the end of June, anyways. Just make sure you send in your packet 3 stuff well before your approved I-129F petition expires.

I visited my now-wife twice during the K-1 process, actually. Once just before the I-129F NOA2 arrived, and once, as i just said, a couple months after my Packet 3 had been issued but before I sent in my Packet 3 checklist and got assigned my interview date. But I didn't try to enter the US with an approved K-1 in my passport and not use it. I just waited out the rest of the school year and moved down in mid July.

Edited by HeatDeath

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

• 4 years later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Four year old thread closed to further comment~

~new thread started~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.