Pejo

Traveling to US After Interview Without Using K1

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello there,

I was not expecting to get my NOA2 so soon but now I am actually a little worried about our good fortune. I am currently in school and set to graduate in August so it was no problem with these previous timeline; however, with the new one, I will not be ready to move down there right after the interview. My question is are you able to travel back and forth AFTER the interview without using your K1-visa? I have a Nexus pass, would I just continue using that to enter?

I tried to search the forum with this but it kept bringing up traveling during the k1 process. Most people would be jumping at being able to enter US earlier.

Steve

K1 Visa Timeline

01-27-2011: NOA1!

02-22-2011: NOA2!

03-14-2011: Packet 3 Filled Out. Delayed Interview until closer to POE, August.

08-09-2011: Interview at 10am!

08-19-2011: POE

08-21-2011: Married

AOS

08-25-2011: Sent AOS Packet with EAD & AP

08-29-2011: NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP

09-29-2011: Biometrics Appointment

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hello there, I was not expecting to get my NOA2 so soon but now I am actually a little worried about our good fortune. I am currently in school and set to graduate in August so it was no problem with these previous timeline; however, with the new one, I will not be ready to move down there right after the interview. My question is are you able to travel back and forth AFTER the interview without using your K1-visa? I have a Nexus pass, would I just continue using that to enter? I tried to search the forum with this but it kept bringing up traveling during the k1 process. Most people would be jumping at being able to enter US earlier.Steve
The K1 Visa is a ONE entry thing so cannot be used to travel to/from. If the K1 visa was issued and you will enter the u USA then it will be activated.. cant use the two visas Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Timeline

Are you able to cross without using your K1-Visa even though you have an approved one?

K1 Visa Timeline

AOS

Hello there,

I was not expecting to get my NOA2 so soon but now I am actually a little worried about our good fortune. I am currently in school and set to graduate in August so it was no problem with these previous timeline; however, with the new one, I will not be ready to move down there right after the interview. My question is are you able to travel back and forth AFTER the interview without using your K1-visa? I have a Nexus pass, would I just continue using that to enter?

I tried to search the forum with this but it kept bringing up traveling during the k1 process. Most people would be jumping at being able to enter US earlier.

Steve

So far, you have an approved petition, not a visa. As far as i am aware, it takes a while to get through the Canadian consulate. And you can slow this process down, by not returning the packet 3 documents for a few months. I am sure that the Canadians will be here to help you out soon.

ROC Timeline

4-26-13------Eligible to file for ROC

6-17-13------Sent off I-751 Package

6-19-13------VSC Received our package. Signed for by K. Fitzgerald

6-24-13------Received NOA in the mail, dated 6-20-13

6-24-13------Check Cashed

7-05-13------Received Biometrics Appointment letter in the mail for 7-18-13

7-18-13------Biometrics done

8-20-13------Case Transferred to CSC for further processing

8-24-13------Transfer notice arrived in the mail today

10-21-13----ROC Approved!

10-25-13----Received approval letter in the mail

10-28-13----Production of 10 Yr Green Card ordered

11-01-13----Card has been mailed!....Received USPS tracking number

11-04-13----10yr Green Card arrived in the mail today....Yay!!

2gsxvmz.png

Timeline

.. Ok so if the case is still pending you may still travel with the "pass" that was referenced. You may just have to overcome any "intent to immigrate" if evidence is requested.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Timeline

Sounds good. It looks like I should put off my interview as long as possible in this case. Do you get to choose your date or do they give you one?

K1 Visa Timeline

AOS

Timeline

Sounds good. It looks like I should put off my interview as long as possible in this case. Do you get to choose your date or do they give you one?

The interview date is assigned and could be rescheduled if you contact the consulate at the time (afterwards)

may require a solid reason....!

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello there,

Steve

First, you can delay your interview until you're ready to immigrate. In the meantime crossing the border with a Nexus pass should be no problem at Blaine or any of the nearby crossings as long as you don't carry you're passport with the visa in it. Once you use the K1 visa though, you'll need to stay in the USA until you have advance parole.

For those speculating but who know nothing about how Canadians, particularly those who have a Nexus pass drive across the border, this will NOT be a problem for the OP. Hint:. I don't carry my passport to cross the same border crossing I live 12 miles from and neither does my Chinese wife. I don't have a Nexus pass but do have an enhanced WA State Driver License and my wife uses her Green Card. The passports stay home in the safe. A K1 visa would be in the OP's passport.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was wondering about the same thing and due to the fear of somehow the border control trying to activate K1 even though entering on a Nexus I just did not cross after receiving the visa until ready to move BUT I did postpone my interview. With the new system (in Montreal) you choose your own interview date. Once packet 3 is done etc they will mail you a letter with a link to go book your interview. Now when I was to schedule they usually try to fill up a month at a time so when I first logged on Oct dates were available...I went back a week or so later and they opened up November, I booked the last possible date as I was hoping to go to US for turkey weekend etc. I then tracked some fellow K1s to see when they were getting dates as I really wanted a Dec date. I was able to log back into the system and reschedule my date no problem, its all internet based you do not need to give a reason why you are changing you just need to make sure it is does within a certain time frame before your originally scheduled interview I think it was either 7 days or 48hrs but I obviously really cant remember lol! At the interview they did not refer to or ask why I postponed the interview... feel free to message me if you have any questions as I found that there isnt many members that both had Nexus and went the K1 route...

Filed: Timeline

As Pushbrk states, you can use your NEXUS pass. Before I had NEXUS I used my passport with my visa inside and just explained that I would be having it endorsed at a later date and gave them my reasons. You also have the option of requesting a delay in issuance of the visa at the interview. This involves sending them your passport when you are ready to move however this is no longer recommended as Montreal is having huge delays in all their transactions. As Hendea says, you pick your own interview date so that probably fits your needs best.

A lot of misinformation in this thread so I am moving it from K-1 Process to the Canada forum to prevent further speculation.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

The interview date is assigned and could be rescheduled if you contact the consulate at the time (afterwards)

may require a solid reason....!

This is incorrect.

Timeline

This is incorrect.

Thanks for the correction.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello there,

Steve

Everyone's given you good advice...Canadian K1's schedule their own interviews...I think someone above said it was scheduled for you which is not the case. Many of us travelled during the K1 process and even after it was stapled into our passports. You may wish to review some other Cdn k1 timelines....you still have a bit of a wait - it will all pan out

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Some have managed to travel to the USa and NOt "activate" it! What you have working in ur favor--is the NEXUS pass! But once you "activate" it, then one can NOT leave the USA until u Get the Greencard or get AP! Well you can leave, you just may not get back in!lol And yes that has happened! Then one starts back at square 1 with the CR-1.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I asked about this at my interview (which was 2 years ago now, so this information is probably slightly outdated) and the consular advised me that I could not travel into the US without using the Visa. Obviously others have been succesful doing it, but I decided not to take my chances and just stayed in Canada until I moved. I got my Visa in March and moved in June.

I think Hendea's approach is probably your best option. If I were in your position, I would just delay the interview as long as you can.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.